Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello from NH Seacoast

Hello from NH Seacoast

Was pointed over here from the Triumph Rat forums by GearHd6. Figured I'd register since it's my part of the country and I may be crossing paths/lanes/roads with some of you. Born in Bangor, ME like my dad, his dad, and his dad - and maybe a few more. But I grew up in NH, and live on the seacoast currently. Even went to Plymouth State College (er, I mean university).

I'm 39, and just started riding a few years ago. It started one drunken night in Portsmouth (how many stories could I tell that start out like THAT) a buddy says to me, "let's go buy some scooters tomorrow." And we actually did. This is the same friend who used to have a HD Sportster and a Low Rider and tried to get me into riding but I was always too intimidated by bikes. Had no interest.

A scooter, it turns out, was the perfect catalyst. We grabbed a pair of 50cc Piaggio's from the local Triumph/Ducati/Vespa dealer. Couldn't believe how fun the stupid little thing was for zipping around town and the seacoast. The lack of power eventually got to me so I upgraded to a 150cc so I could at least keep up in traffic. I rode that for a couple summers and then decided I finally needed a real bike because I wanted to ride further and further and little scooters aren't they greatest for that sort of thing unless you get a burgman or silverwing. I still have that 150cc scooter and use it for around-town errands, shooting down to Prescott Park or the beach, etc.

So in July 2011 I bought a Honda NT700V. It's a mid-size sport tourer. 680cc V-twin. Little brother to the ST1300. Sort of. I'm not a street bike guy, or a cruiser guy. They just don't appeal to me personally. So I went the sport touring route. I kept it for 13 months and put 13k miles on it in that time and even laid it down once (low-sided at 60mph west bound on 202 in Henniker, NH on my way to Keene). I wasn't hurt much at all (ATGATT) but waiting for parts kept me off the bike two months which drove me crazy.

So the 2012 riding season comes along, I do some camping trips on the NT - long ride overnights. One to upstate NY, another near St. John in New Brunswick. 8-11 hours in the saddle a day. Loved it. I realized the long distance stuff is what appeals to me the most. I generally won't even hop on my bike unless I know I can be out for at least two hours. But then I started to want something different. The NT is a GREAT bike for what I was using it for. Great fuel economy (60+ mpg), integrated luggage, fairing, etc but not quite enough power. The engine in that bike greatly favors high rpm's. I got tired of feeling like I was winding out the engine just cruising along. I wanted an engine with more guts.

So in Sept last year I bought Triumph's new Tiger Explorer. I had considered the Tiger 800 and 1050 prior to my Honda, but really favored a shaft drive. When the Explorer was released it was love at first sight. It had lots of the advanced features I wanted and the sound of that triple...! So I rode it until January sometime and put 4500 miles on it (love heated gear). Itching to take it back out as I just got my saddle back from Russell Day Long...got in on the group buy this winter. Currently planning a trip to GA this spring so I can hit the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

So if you see a 6'2" dude in a high-viz yellow jacket on a big GS-looking Triumph going down the road, it just might be me. If I write another sentence will I win an award for the longest introduction post? heh.

And.....some pics:

The Honda:

And, the Explorer:

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer - Graphite - current
    2010 Honda NT700V - Silver (first bike) - former

Lifer

Re: Hello from NH Seacoast

Welcome to the forum, very nice Explorer. I am sure Kenn will come along and introduce himself, he owns Great Bay's Salisbury showroom

I live right in Hampton, so if you are up for a ride up 1A sometime let me know.

I heard he was here - I've actually met him before. At Great Bay, no less.
    Come to think of it, the day I was signing papers on my Explorer, or just running numbers with Don, someone else was just leaving on their brand new Multistrada. Don't suppose you drove it off the lot in late August/early Sept, did you?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Seacoast-Rob View Post
    I heard he was here - I've actually met him before. At Great Bay, no less.
    Come to think of it, the day I was signing papers on my Explorer, or just running numbers with Don, someone else was just leaving on their brand new Multistrada. Don't suppose you drove it off the lot in late August/early Sept, did you?
    I actually purchased the Multistrada from Seacoast with their $100 per inch sale they ran two weeks ago. Ended up getting a $2000 gift card and a killer deal.

Yup we met. I see Rob on Tiger-Explorer.com on occasion.

Welcome Rob.

Welcome Rob, great intro.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by sveesix View Post
    I actually purchased the Multistrada from Seacoast with their $100 per inch sale they ran two weeks ago. Ended up getting a $2000 gift card and a killer deal.
    Ah, excellent. Congrats on the new acquisition!

Kenn, how has the replacement TEx been so far? Have you done the cam bucket service bulletin yet? Randy has the parts ordered for mine last I knew, but haven't heard from him in a month so I'm guessing the stuff hasn't come in yet. Not like I'm in any rush anyway.

Ah, excellent. Congrats on the new acquisition!

Kenn, how has the replacement TEx been so far? Have you done the cam bucket service bulletin yet? Randy has the parts ordered for mine last I knew, but haven't heard from him in a month so I'm guessing the stuff hasn't come in yet. Not like I'm in any rush anyway.
    The replacement was delivered to me January 5th. It hasn't been registered yet but I was thinking this Friday might be a good day to do it. Since Jeff will be getting the Multi. The new TEx is not affected by the cam bucket bulletin, Randy checked.

Lifer

Welcome.

If you see a dude on a black V-Strom with an extremely bright hi-viz helmet on in the area... wave.

Rt 1 before the tourists show? In.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Up in my hood! Looks like 107 in Gilmanton...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Great intro and nice pics. Welcome!

Welcome

If you ain't first......you're last!

Awesome story, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Up in my hood! Looks like 107 in Gilmanton...
    That's exactly where it is! Gilmanton is in one of my "local" loops. I see you're in center barnstead - that's on another loop I take when I take Rte 4 from Dover to Pittsfield and return by passing through your town, strafford, farmington, etc. I loved the stone wall on that property in the above pic so I had to grab a snapshot.

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

welcome aboard!! Im right over in Somersworth.

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Lifer

126 up through that area is part of my go-to loop.

That's exactly where it is! Gilmanton is in one of my "local" loops. I see you're in center barnstead - that's on another loop I take when I take Rte 4 from Dover to Pittsfield and return by passing through your town, strafford, farmington, etc. I loved the stone wall on that property in the above pic so I had to grab a snapshot.
    Yeah, I know my way around these parts. Shoot me a PM next time you're up/over my way. Route 4 is such a bore...

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    126 up through that area is part of my go-to loop.
    You, not so much...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Yeah, I know my way around these parts. Shoot me a PM next time you're up/over my way. Route 4 is such a bore...

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Lifer

You, not so much...

Lifer

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Welcome.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Welcome! I'm right up the road in Dover!

2006 DRZ400SM

Maybe I can join in on the next dinner/meetup. I'll be up north skiing tomorrow.

And hey Mark - Dover...I'll be moving there soon. Just had the inspection done today on the house and everything looks good so I don't foresee anything to hold up the sale. Will keep my condo in Portsmouth as a rental. Kinda bummed to leave Portsmouth after being here 12 years but houses are just too expensive so we're hopping over the bridge.

Welcome aboard. Love that Explorer.

Shannon

Lifer

I lived in Dover (Maple Street, near Wentworth) for a couple years with my missus before we bought the house. I liked living in Dover a lot. Not a bad city at all. But dealing with that bridge sucked!

It's a small world. One of my good friends just moved from Portsmouth over to Dover this week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast