Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello! RSV4 & STriple dude

Hello! RSV4 & STriple dude

Hello everyone,

Long time forum lurker, finally bit the bullet and registered. Looks like COVID is forcing me to make E-friends again...

Located out of Sudbury, MA. Been riding 15 years now. Had an 03 R6 I put 25k on learning the back roads of MA and NH.

Currently in the garage I have a 2012 Street Triple that I picked up 3 years ago with only 600 miles on it. Awesome commuter and distance bike.

I've also restored a 2010 RSV4R that I picked up last fall and now have it prepped for light track duty. Considering the full conversion to track only later this year if all goes to plan but also enjoying it on back country roads.

Looking to register for several track days this summer with Tonys and Fishtail, pandemic permitting! Have done the road course at Loudon in the past but never Palmer, Thompson, CMS, or NYST.

Please feel free to send me a PM if you're interested in a late afternoon or weekend social distance ride!

Best Regards

Hello! RSV4 & STriple dude-triple-jpg

Hello! RSV4 & STriple dude-rsv4-png

Hello! RSV4 & STriple dude-stable-jpg

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hypertarded

Re: Hello! RSV4 & STriple dude

Welcome officially, don't let the current lack of motorcycle talk scare you away, it's coming....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    Welcome officially, don't let the current lack of motorcycle talk scare you away, it's coming....
    Thank you, looks like there's a good core group of people who are right in our own backyard. Looking forward to making new connections and hopefully riding and learning too.

As I get into my 30's it becomes harder to meet like minded people. Never too old to learn new tricks or get faster...

Welcome. We don’t really do motorcycles here anymore. Mostly just talk about vans, miatas, rotella, and give unsolicited financial advice. Are you maxing out your employer match?

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 04-16-20 at 08:40 AM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Welcome.

Nice bikes.

I have a soft spot for Triumphs.

Crazy question: do you think the seat on the RSV4 is slanted forward as much in the Street Triple?

Reason I ask is I had a Speed Triple that I anticipated would be significantly more comfortable than the R1 I had before it.. and while it was in terms of higher bars I didn’t like the pitch of the seat. I wish it were flatter like a CB1100 or T120.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hi welcome. See you at the Fishtail days!

Yo Slayer, another Sudbury-ite here so hopefully we can connect for some westbound jaunts!

Hey man. Hang in there, things are getting better around here. LOL!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Welcome.

Nice bikes.

Crazy question: do you think the seat on the RSV4 is slanted forward as much in the Street Triple?

Reason I ask is I had a Speed Triple that I anticipated would be significantly more comfortable than the R1 I had before it.. and while it was in terms of higher bars I didn’t like the pitch of the seat. I wish it were flatter like a CB1100 or T120.
    Good question, the answer is Yes for sure! I just went into the garage and even with the RSV4 on a rear stand you can see the seat is much flatter and parallel to the ground.

the ST3 has a huge downward pitch/slope in it about halfway through the seat. I THINK this is due to the design of the seat being one large seat to accomodate both rider and pillion rider as well. If it was 2 separate seats separated by a piece of cowl then I would think a lot of this slope could be eliminated. I typically readjust my riding position every 10-15 minutes to pull my ballsack off the tank. A minor nuissance but overall still love the ergonomics of the ST3 and could ride it 200+ miles a day, which would fuck my shoulders up on the RSV4

Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    Hi welcome. See you at the Fishtail days!
    Never done Fishtail, really looking forward to it, any tips/tricks are welcomed

Quote Originally Posted by jeffitalia View Post
    Yo Slayer, another Sudbury-ite here so hopefully we can connect for some westbound jaunts!
    Hell yes, I am right off of Dutton Road. Happy to take a spin tomorrow afternoon or Sunday. Typically I have a small group that will go West to Amherst/Adams/Troy area a couple times a summer and we try to hit the Kank or 2 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Welcome.

Nice bikes.

Attachment 52210
    Attachment 52211

Look at the difference and how the middle portion of ST3 seat slopes down sharply, pushing you forward.

Quote Originally Posted by RSV4Slayer View Post
    Never done Fishtail, really looking forward to it, any tips/tricks are welcomed
    Shoot me a pm!

Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    Shoot me a pm!
    I'll slide into your dms

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Nice bikes! Seacoast was nice enough to bring a recent (2019/20?) demo RSV4 up to Loudon last summer and I couldn't resist a session. Holy shit. It just pulls and pulls and pulls. I'm a fan.

Anyway, welcome to the shitshow. I usually do all of the Fishtail days. Just bought a Kramer Evo2R right as all of the trackdays are canceling (sorry everybody).

Let's turn some laps after this shit blows over!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Nice bikes! Seacoast was nice enough to bring a recent (2019/20?) demo RSV4 up to Loudon last summer and I couldn't resist a session. Holy shit. It just pulls and pulls and pulls. I'm a fan.

Anyway, welcome to the shitshow. I usually do all of the Fishtail days. Just bought a Kramer Evo2R right as all of the trackdays are canceling (sorry everybody).

Let's turn some laps after this shit blows over!
    Thanks Tricky Mike, looking forward to it! I did the Suspension Theory and General Maintenance Seminars this winter at SeaCoast and had them throw tires and race pads on the RSV4 - seems like a really solid outfit. They had a bunch of Kramer's in the backroom/for sale and man they are the coolest thing since sliced cheese!

Google Zack Courts - Kramer

Zack is good friends with my riding buddy and recently did a review of the Kramer Evo2 while racing it at Laguna Seca! Awesome review and that KTM Motor is a real thumper. Would love to check it out! Hopefully we will be riding soon!

P.S. - Will I be OK with the RSV4 for track days from a sound perspective? Will it be too loud? I want to add a shorty slip-on but am scared I will be banned... any feedback is welcome!

Yeah, Seacoast is the spot! I've done that suspension seminar twice. I still use what I picked up there on a regular basis.

I've seen that review! I've got the off-season shakes. I think I've seen every Kramer review out

I haven't found the RSV4's to be too loud. My buddy Brian has one (2018/19R maybe?) that he has run at Palmer, Tamworth, etc... Hasn't had any issues. I hear "shorty" and start to hedge my bets a little, though. It's just so hard to say. I can't recall what Brian's intake/exhaust setup looks like.

One way to look at it is that you don't have a power shortage That thing will get out of a corner like stink in stealth mode. Might be worth playing it safe. Spend that money on rear tires

Last edited by Tricky Mike; 04-16-20 at 06:06 PM.

Yeah, Seacoast is the spot! I've done that suspension seminar twice. I still use what I picked up there on a regular basis.

I've seen that review! I've got the off-season shakes. I think I've seen every Kramer review out

I haven't found the RSV4's to be too loud. My buddy Brian has one (2018/19R maybe?) that he has run at Palmer, Tamworth, etc... Hasn't had any issues. I hear "shorty" and start to hedge my bets a little, though. It's just so hard to say. I can't recall what Brian's intake/exhaust setup looks like.

One way to look at it is that you don't have a power shortage That thing will get out of a corner like stink in stealth mode. Might be worth playing it safe. Spend that money on rear tires
    Thank you for the advice - and I complete agree $500-$900 for a slip-on plus another $650 for Race ECU is not cheap just to change the sound and add 2-3HP but with all this quarantine stuff I am not going to lie, I am getting bored!!! I'll hold off for now... just threw some new Q3+ on. I am a Michelin Man but Seacoast could not seem to be able to get in contact with their supplier after a 2-3 week wait to see if I could get the Power5 or the PowerGP... Vesrah pads, new cooling hoses/manifold/clamps and a bunch of crash protection - Need to get it to the track ASAP!

Do you think it is worth changing stock gearing? 103MPH in 1st gear is kinda tall and it seems like the tracks in the northeast are really short! The bike makes tons of power but will i be bored circling around in 1st 90% of the time?

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Welcome. We don’t really do motorcycles here anymore. Mostly just talk about vans, miatas, rotella, and give unsolicited financial advice. Are you maxing out your employer match?
    That's OK - I've already gone through the multipage threads about a cat stuck up a tree 100x times, some squid kid who wanted to start a young guy biker club or w/e, and something recent about a paper mill exploding but yet I am still here... I guess I really need to make more friends.

Edit: Yes I am meeting/exceeding my employer contribution on my 401k - thank you

Welcome. I’m hoping to ride more this year than years past, tho it never seems to work out.
    Loving my V4 and the semi upright seating of the Tuono. Sadly my 2016 Factory only has 1,600 miles on it.
    Hello! RSV4 & STriple dude-7debfb21-cdfc-49dd-8cf7-2c5556303ba7

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Thank you for the advice - and I complete agree $500-$900 for a slip-on plus another $650 for Race ECU is not cheap just to change the sound and add 2-3HP but with all this quarantine stuff I am not going to lie, I am getting bored!!! I'll hold off for now... just threw some new Q3+ on. I am a Michelin Man but Seacoast could not seem to be able to get in contact with their supplier after a 2-3 week wait to see if I could get the Power5 or the PowerGP... Vesrah pads, new cooling hoses/manifold/clamps and a bunch of crash protection - Need to get it to the track ASAP!

Do you think it is worth changing stock gearing? 103MPH in 1st gear is kinda tall and it seems like the tracks in the northeast are really short! The bike makes tons of power but will i be bored circling around in 1st 90% of the time?
    Nice. Those Q3s are sweet. I've been running variations of that tire since 2012-ish with no complaints. Great on everything... cold and/or rainy days where the track wasn't wet enough for rains, but too cold/wet for slicks. Hot August thunderstorm days where I don't have the time to swap back and forth... Always impressed by how well they worked. Nothing to worry about there.

Vesrah is good stuff too. Had great luck with RJL, SRJL, etc... Great feel with TONS of variety in the various compounds... and they last forever.

Re-gearing, yeah, probably, but it's not like you need to find every last foot pound of torque. You could probably even just put it in 2nd and leave it there. I used to do that with a GSXR 1K. It'd lug a little exiting turn3 and flatten out a little at the end of the straight, but it actually worked really well.

The best money you can spend is on suspension and setup. I tend to start there and worry about the other stuff when I need to.

Shit. This makes me want a session at Tamworth!

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Welcome. I’m hoping to ride more this year than years past, tho it never seems to work out.
    Loving my V4 and the semi upright seating of the Tuono. Sadly my 2016 Factory only has 1,600 miles on it.
    Hello! RSV4 & STriple dude-7debfb21-cdfc-49dd-8cf7-2c5556303ba7
    Gorgeous bike, if I didn't already have 2 I would add a Tuono to the stable. Kind of blends the best of both worlds of the RSV4 and Triple! Let's try to get some rides in, street or track, this Sunday is looking nice!

Thanks for the warm welcome

Edit: Truck in the background is also gorgeous...

Last edited by RSV4Slayer; 04-16-20 at 08:36 PM.

Nice. Those Q3s are sweet. I've been running variations of that tire since 2012-ish with no complaints. Great on everything... cold and/or rainy days where the track wasn't wet enough for rains, but too cold/wet for slicks. Hot August thunderstorm days where I don't have the time to swap back and forth... Always impressed by how well they worked. Nothing to worry about there.

Vesrah is good stuff too. Had great luck with RJL, SRJL, etc... Great feel with TONS of variety in the various compounds... and they last forever.

Re-gearing, yeah, probably, but it's not like you need to find every last foot pound of torque. You could probably even just put it in 2nd and leave it there. I used to do that with a GSXR 1K. It'd lug a little exiting turn3 and flatten out a little at the end of the straight, but it actually worked really well.

The best money you can spend is on suspension and setup. I tend to start there and worry about the other stuff when I need to.

Shit. This makes me want a session at Tamworth!
    Thanks Tricky Mike - ducman just mentioned Tamworth to me. I saw there were dates set for I think June 15-16 which is my birthday so I will definitely go and get a room in Conway for a couple nights and enjoy that experience!

Thanks for the feedback, I'm feeling a lot better about not looking too stupid with the tall liter bike. I had the Seacoast Tech help me set the sag for my weight so feeling pretty good there. Saving pennies for Ohlins or K-tech in the future. Kinda need to decide if I want to go all in on this 2010 RSV4 or get a newer model next year and bling that out instead.

That's OK - I've already gone through the multipage threads about a cat stuck up a tree 100x times, some squid kid who wanted to start a young guy biker club or w/e, and something recent about a paper mill exploding but yet I am still here... I guess I really need to make more friends.//

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Wrong one. I think that's the biker club someone found advertising on Craigslist. Our new member here is referring to Benanthony, who rides harder on the street with every bar he visits along the way.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast