Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Hi! New to NYC, recent California transplant

Hi! New to NYC, recent California transplant

Hi there - just moved to NYC officially on Jan 9 from sunny Bay Area, California. Late last year I decided that I needed to feel the misery of the Northeast winter to make my life more complete.

I'm an avid track rider and raced in the AFM in California and am super looking forward to riding track out here in the Northeast as well as exploring the mountain roads of the Northeast. I have a 2013 ZX6R race bike that is still in California and am planning to pick up a supernaked (S1000R, Tuono, or Superduke R) to tool around on the roads and hit the tracks out here. I'm telling myself that I won't be racing this year...but we'll see how long that lasts.

Anyway, glad to be here and hope to meet some of you soon on track or otherwise!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

Re: Hi! New to NYC, recent California transplant

lesson number 1. New York is not new england.

Lesson 2. We are ball-busters here.

Welcome!!!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Although one could see that, since York, Jersey, and Hampshire are in England, it would make sense for New York, New Jersey, and New Hampshire to be in New England. But alas, (two out of three) 'tisn't so.

The error could also be excused by the observation that New York and New Jersey are as (or even more) badly governed and overtaxed than the New England states of Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, and the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. But, coming from California, you know that bad governance is not in itself a sufficient condition for being counted as part of New England.

Nonetheless, welcome to actual winters. I moved from San Diego to New Hampshire a few years back, and am very glad to have done so.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 02-02-16 at 01:23 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    But, coming from California, you know that bad governance is not in itself a sufficient condition for being counted as part of New England.
    fawkin california and governance

I'm just here for riding/women/money...25-30 years from now when I've used it all up, I'll find an alternate sunny state with less taxes and better governance to retire

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by carotte View Post
    I decided that I needed to feel the misery of the Northeast winter to make my life more complete.
    Well. This isn't it. Check back next year. Welcome. Have you applied for your race number yet?

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Welcome to NESR. I have a super naked Ducati Streetfighter 1098 with your name all over it. 155hp naked, dry clutch, SSSA, what more could you want?

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

haha thanks everyone. To me...the New England/Northeast of the US is all the same. In the time that it takes me to drive from SF to Buttonwillow Raceway, I'd have covered all 25 of your tiny "states".

I have to resist the racing bug...I'll start small with getting a bike first. What do people do if they have a trackbike in Manhattan?? There's no space to store it and I don't have my truck anymore.

Noty on the Duc Maxim! I've had my share of Ducatis (had a 2013 Hyper SP) <3

I your an avid rider , you will soon discover your monumental screw up... good luck and welcome

You are only like 25 miles from New England

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Trust me, I weighed carefully and I'm aware of the screwup. I lived at the base of the Santa Cruz mountains with some of the best public roads. I had access to Thunderhill, Sonoma, Laguna Seca, and Buttonwillow Raceway. Spent 20-30 weekends at year at the tracks and if I wasn't I was out riding. But still, I'm going to make the most of being out here and I'm super stoked for my next ride, whatever that will be and making new friends and learning new tracks.