Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Newbie HELP

Newbie HELP

I jus t got this Yamaha pw50 and it won't start it starts when you put gas in the spark plug hole for a while and then dies out
    What can it be

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Newbie HELP

Most likely the carbs need to be cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    clean the carb, put in fresh good fuel and you should be good to go. Make sure to actually take it apart and if need be poke out the holes with wire or a pipe cleaner and soak it with carb cleaner. I've seen people who say they've cleaned the carbs and they still have the issue and they didn't actually clean the carbs they just sprayed it with carb cleaner or put fuel cleaner in the tank. Also could be a collapsed fuel line or bad petcock, but most likely carb.

Where are you located? Post up your town and if Tunertype's advice doesn't work, perhaps someone near you could look at it.

Also check for a clogged vent line if the tank has one.

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunertype View Post
    clean the carb, put in fresh good fuel and you should be good to go. Make sure to actually take it apart and if need be poke out the holes with wire or a pipe cleaner and soak it with carb cleaner. I've seen people who say they've cleaned the carbs and they still have the issue and they didn't actually clean the carbs they just sprayed it with carb cleaner or put fuel cleaner in the tank. Also could be a collapsed fuel line or bad petcock, but most likely carb.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Where are you located? Post up your town and if Tunertype's advice doesn't work, perhaps someone near you could look at it.

Also check for a clogged vent line if the tank has one.
    So it turned on after I cleaned the carb the only thing now is that it's doesn't turn on right away you have to kick start like 8 times sometimes more it's a 95 pw50 it also dies out if you don't hold the throttle open a little

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyv90 View Post
    So it turned on after I cleaned the carb the only thing now is that it's doesn't turn on right away you have to kick start like 8 times sometimes more it's a 95 pw50 it also dies out if you don't hold the throttle open a little
    Did you use the choke? is it a heated garage? It will need to have the choke on to start and run when cold. It will need to warm up before you can turn the choke off. It may never warm up enough in this weather to run without the choke on. Also check for vacuum leaks around the carb seals. Did you toss in fresh gas? I'd also toss in a new spark plug.

It should take a few kicks to get started the first time anyways. Usually a couple of slow kicks to get some gas in the intake and carb and then a fast one to get it going.

Last edited by Tunertype; 03-10-14 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunertype View Post
    Did you use the choke? is it a heated garage? It will need to have the choke on to start and run when cold. It will need to warm up before you can turn the choke off. It may never warm up enough in this weather to run without the choke on. Also check for vacuum leaks around the carb seals. Did you toss in fresh gas? I'd also toss in a new spark plug.

It should take a few kicks to get started the first time anyways. Usually a couple of slow kicks to get some gas in the intake and carb and then a fast one to get it going.
    Ok I'll put in a new plug n wire cause the old wire is kinda broken

Did you actually pull the pilot jet out of the carb when you cleaned it? You might need to run a jet cleaner or a piece of wire brush wire through it.

Jeff