Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Yet another newbie finds NESR

Yet another newbie finds NESR

Hi all,

To make a long story longer........

When I was a kid I always wanted a minibike, never got one. Stop laughing, I'm almost 50 so when I was a kid that's what kid's wanted.

I finally got my first minibike when I was in my early 20's (during the early 80's); it was a 1976 Yamaha 650. I rode it summer and winter (living in Ct.) I quickly moved on to my second bike in 1984; a dealer leftover 1983 GPZ 1100. God, I loved that bike. A few years later I got into golf and other things and sold the bike. She was mint, kept immaculate, etc. The pond scum that bought it rode it hard and put it away wet. I couldn't believe when I saw it for sale a few years later; filthy, scratched, high mileage and yet he wanted more than what I sold it to him for. (He had tried to talk me down in price (to no avail) but the second interested buyer showed up early and came running across the parking lot screaming, "I"ll take it, I'll take it." That's when I new the price was too low. LOL

So anyway, here I now sit, in my condo with a 13 year old son that has a couple friends who have dirt bikes. My son wants one in the worst way. I don't see much sense in getting him one. Actually he saved the money to buy one himself, but anyway him getting one means I have to buy and put a hitch rack on my Suburban and take him where he wants to go. We don't live very far from Mototown but I can see that getting expensive. His friends have some big yards but I can see that getting old real quick and our town is starting to crack down on kids on dirt bikes. The "noise" thing you know. New England isn't exactly "pro" dirt bike with areas to ride so I am in a quandary as to what to do.

Do I get him one? And if I do, what size? I don't want like a 100 that is too small. He's at the awkward age with a crotch height of 30 inches. Any suggestions? He would be a conservative rider. As it is I see me having to get one too so that we could ride "legally" at any of the "limited state" areas.

Happy Holidays and I look forward to your replies.

My best,

CZ

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Captainzipper; 12-26-09 at 09:40 PM.

Re: Yet another newbie finds NESR

buy the kid the damn biike cap'n

Last edited by naked-daytrader; 12-26-09 at 11:49 PM.
    CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 KTM 560 SMR - 2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2002-2006

I grew up in the North end of Simplebury ( I mean Simsbury) we rode the snot out of all the tobacco fields and had trails that would take us up thru N.Granby and into the Hartlands.
    The only legal place left to ride in CT is the Thomaston Dam.
    However you have Tolland State forest in Mass to ride very close by.
    I know the back way in from Granville and will show you next season, but I'll be on a quad because I am way to old for dirtbikes.

I had 8 years under my belt at 13 and was riding a 1978 Bultaco 350 Alpina 2 smoker.

For him a modern 125 four stroke machine since it is his 1st bike, a name brand one of course, not one of those Chinese knock-off's.

PM a guy here GixerJockey ( Noel) he runs CT power and sports in Wallingford and will walk you thru the buying process and not bend you or your son over in any way and get him out on the trails

TIMMYDUCK

Just with the input of the first two responders I can tell I'll be having a lot of laughs on this forum.

I've found several KX 125's for sale in my price range, two stroke I know.

Care to educate me as to why I should only be looking at 4 strokes? I realize my fueling and maintenance would be easier but what other reasons?

BTW, my son loves you guys already. LOL

Thanks,

CZ

Quote Originally Posted by Captainzipper View Post
    Just with the input of the first two responders I can tell I'll be having a lot of laughs on this forum.

I've found several KX 125's for sale in my price range, two stroke I know.

Care to educate me as to why I should only be looking at 4 strokes? I realize my fueling and maintenance would be easier but what other reasons?

Thanks,

CZ
    Simple Longevity and learning curve.

A 4 cycle is way more bullet proof for a newbie 13 year old and he isn't ready for a strong powerband, 1st season out . ( You do want him to see a 2nd ?)

TIMMYDUCK

I'm not so sure Tim. 13 years old and he's acting just like I did. That's not saying much. I'm ready to get him the two stroke and just raise his life insurance policy...........

One of his friend's is selling a Honda CRF 150. The price is right. The kid selling it is an experienced rider and moving up to a two stroke KTM.

I'm not so sure Tim. 13 years old and he's acting just like I did. That's not saying much. I'm ready to get him the two stroke and just raise his life insurance policy...........

One of his friend's is selling a Honda CRF 150. The price is right. The kid selling it is an experienced rider and moving up to a two stroke KTM.
    Good choice because you know he will let a friend or 2 ride it and god forbid something happens to the other kid and the parents go after you.

TIMMYDUCK

Welcome to NESR!

Of course we'll give you the answer you wanted - get the kid a bike, and while you're at it, get yourself one too!

Buy him something used like a CRF150 or maybe a TTR225. It should be big enough for a couple of years but easy enough to learn on. If you buy it used and treat it well you should be able to get back most of what you spent when he's ready to upgrade.

You might want to check out:

http://www.nedirtbikes.com/content/default.aspx

and

http://www.netra.org/

This is something you always wanted, and he wants it now - having a common interest with your teenager is worth it's weight in gold. You're gonna have to drive him places. What will you do, sit around and wait for him? Go ride! Five years from now the two of you will have a thousand great memories of time spent riding together.

Last edited by oVTo; 12-26-09 at 10:57 PM.
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

CZ
    You don't know what you have gotten yourself into.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I'm bending him over...

Hi Dan,

You really are correct. We have a boat that we've had since he was 3 and we have a great many memories. Actually the boat is yet another reason why I'm shying away from getting him the bike, can't be on both at once can we?

But really, I see your point. He'll probably have one soon enough with me falling in line behind him.

I think it is a great idea to have something that you both can do together. I hope you go for it. And welcome to the forum.

I'd also recommend a kdx200 too. One of the more fun dirtbikes ever made. And for you...a drz, or some other streetable woods machine. Or a klr or 650L olof you want a little more of a doitall machine. As far as where to go...

Patchaug comes to mind first for legality. If you have a plate you can go anywhere. And just keep going and going and going.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I'd also recommend a kdx200 too. One of the more fun dirtbikes ever made. And for you...a drz, or some other streetable woods machine. Or a klr or 650L olof you want a little more of a doitall machine. As far as where to go...

Patchaug comes to mind first for legality. If you have a plate you can go anywhere. And just keep going and going and going.
    I second the kdx200. Has a very tame powerband and lots of bottom end, but with more experience you can really get it to scream up top. I have a very heavy 2 stroke bias, but I will have to agree that it isn't the easiest bike to start on. But since he seems to be motivated I will have to suggest the KX100 and all the 125 2 strokes. I could go on a huge rant of why to go 2 stroke, but I'll spare you

Since you are from CT I also will extend the offer for him to come try out my DRZ125L.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Chip and CS,

So I did a Google search on the kdx 200; is it a good thing or a bad thing that I only saw a couple of listings for that bike but I saw a gazillion ads for just "parts"?! LOL Do the riders of kdx 200's just ride them so long and hard until finally one day they find themselves walking home with only a few pieces left?

I found a 95 ktm 300 for myself that I think might do me; any thoughts?

I was thinking of this carrier for my Suburban.... http://www.amazon.com/Double-Motorcy.../dp/B000LUXYZW (Can I post that or will I now be banished from the site?) Are there any others models that are better for the money?

Thanks for all your ideas and offers. I truly appreciate it.

CZ

Last edited by Captainzipper; 12-27-09 at 10:29 AM. Reason: extra word removed

Chip and CS,

So I did a Google search on the kdx 200; is it a good thing or a bad thing that I only saw a couple of listings for that bike but I saw a gazillion ads for just "parts"?! LOL Do the riders of kdx 200's just ride them so long and hard until finally one day they find themselves walking home with only a few pieces left?

I was thinking of this carrier for my Suburban.... http://www.amazon.com/Double-Motorcy.../dp/B000LUXYZW (Can I post that or will I now be banished from the site?) Are there any others models that are better for the money?

CZ
    This is the perfect set up right here.
    http://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/1511623806.html
    And a 95 KTM300 would be perfect for you. I can't say that I have ridden the 300, but I have ridden the 380. The power is awesome and it feels like you are riding on a couch haha. The only reason I got rid of my KDX was because I sunk it in rivers too many times and couldn't afford to fix it haha.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Chip and CS,

CZ
    Those carriers are not ideal for anything let alone 2 bikes.

If you bring extra fuel with you which you will, your going to stink -up your Suburban every time.

Find a used landscrapers 5X8 or 6X10 trailer with a drop gate.

TIMMYDUCK

Welcome, I'm in Granby also. Friend has a tt225 he might part with if you want me to ask.

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

What are you riding? Do any street riding?

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

a 650 was a minibike?

and yes getting a bike for yourself is the best thing you can do since he's gonna buy one anyway if he has the money regardless of what you tell him to do. So you might as well go out and enjoy the ride with him, that way he always has a riding buddy and you get to spend time with him.

Time spent with your son in the next few years will pay itself off 10,000%

One of the few regrets I have in my life.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride would do.