Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Noob Alert

Re: Noob Alert

I'm pretty sure scooter wouldn't let the dude out there if he thought it was going to be bad for anyone.

Welcome to the show, Geoff.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Welcome to NESR - winter is an interesting time to join.

I'm with oVTo - IMO a new rider in the slow group at a trackday is much safer for everyone than on public roads.

-Josh || Forum Rules || Stop. Think. Post.

Yes I think it would be better for a fresh out of msf to get a few hundred miles under their belt before doing a TD. Would you have felt the same if the other 24 riders just took the msf? I could be mistaken but I don't think anyone on nesr msf coaches included have ever advised a new rider to skip street riding after the course and head straight to the track. .02

Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    There's no way she was ever a danger to herself or to others. The passing rules in the beginner group are very conservative, and she was never intimidated by people passing her. I was there, you're just speculating.
    Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Eta: there's no way she was a danger? Not possible at all? Not even slightly? C'mon
    I was also there as a worker, and we were told right from the get-go to keep an eye on her and call her out IMMEDIATELY if there was anything wonky going on. She was all over the place at first, but there are plenty of people with thousands of street miles that are more of a danger than she was. However, as an experienced worker, she made me nervous. Very few riders make me legitimately nervous anymore - it takes a lot to shake me now.

I don't agree with it and frankly, I am surprised you let your daughter do that. Even with conservative passing rules and less distraction than the street, shit gets real, even in red group.

That is not to say that every rider would be the same, or that I was less nervous about her even when lunch rolled around (she was doing pretty well by the end ofthe day, frankly), but it is a legitimate concern.

Last edited by mzdagrl; 02-10-12 at 11:52 AM.
    Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    hi jeff!

thats scottie's roommate.
    is that what they call it in Mass? ill have to check with Kenn on that.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i see both sides of the argument here. track is probably a good place to enhance learning. ideally someone should have some street experience before hitting the track. while the red groups are slow and the passing is just on the straight but whos to say what wouldve happened if she fell in T3 and the person behind her also had limited experience and didnt know how to avoid her and panicked and target fixated? her little tumble at 25 mph that she most likely wouldnt have gotten hurt turns into something far worse.
    im not picking a side in this argument at all. everyone learns different. it may have been perfect for her

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    i see both sides of the argument here. track is probably a good place to enhance learning. ideally someone should have some street experience before hitting the track. while the red groups are slow and the passing is just on the straight but whos to say what wouldve happened if she fell in T3 and the person behind her also had limited experience and didnt know how to avoid her and panicked and target fixated? her little tumble at 25 mph that she most likely wouldnt have gotten hurt turns into something far worse.
    im not picking a side in this argument at all. everyone learns different. it may have been perfect for her
    That is a great point.

I'm going to take back my suggestion, because people who are new to any activity are going to have a wide range of capabilities. I would hate for someone to take my advice and then have something happen on track. On the other hand, I hate hearing about newbies getting killed on the street too.

So I'll leave it at - be aware that there are options out there for gaining experience, then pick what works best for you.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Seriously, the street is awful dangerous for riders who don't brake or steer quickly. Or don't look where they're supposed to be going.

I remember a couple of cringe moments when I saw in my mirror my less-experienced buddy miss an easy apex and go wide over the centre line — more than once. Slowed me right down, so then we had cars up his tailpipe. No fun. It's no use telling him to get off the brakes in a corner and just lean more — he's never done it before, and he needs to practise before he has a chance of doing it right.

I think a "Total Control" parking lot session should come first. Take MSF further.

Then IF there are four groups as in Tony's Track Days AND plenty of control riders the red group should be pretty safe. As a red group rider I would be perfectly happy with giving the other slowpokes a wide berth. Besides I might finally get to passing people!

Nobody learns to fly or scuba solo: brand new riders should learn more in a safe environment with good instruction before they get on the street. I vote for track days.

Quote Originally Posted by Wislon View Post
    Seriously, the street is awful dangerous for riders who don't brake or steer quickly. Or don't look where they're supposed to be going.
    This is exactly why I agree with the OP, along with the potential harm to others in a public setting. A gated parking lot would be great for newbies.

-Josh || Forum Rules || Stop. Think. Post.

Welcome to the forum Geoff!

Friend: man riding this really hurts my balls

Me: Well you're not supposed to sit on your balls!

"New York State Of Mind" Predat-R's Avatar

welcome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12