Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

New from Southeast MA

New from Southeast MA

What's up ya'll I just joined on here because I just finished my MSF beginner course and got my license. I've got about 1000 miles of riding experience so far, but I'm definitely interested in doing some track days next season. If anyone has any info on how to get started doing track days, I would appreciate it.

This is my bike, it's a '97 Yamaha FZR600 with '93 plastics on it.

(Yes I know the painted wind screen is stupid, but I didn't do that, and I will be replacing it.)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: New from Southeast MA

Welcome to NESR. I'm also in S.E. Mass.

What do you want to know about trackdays?

Here are some basics. The closest trackdays are at NHMS it's about 2.5 hours away Tony's, and penguin are still doing trackdays there this year. A new for this year track, New York Safety Track, is about 5 hours from here. Boston Moto is putting on a few trackdays there SEPT 21/ 22. There are many more track if you want to go further.

As far a bike prep, there isn't much. Usually you have to secure your oil filter with a hose clamp and some safety wire. Then make sure your bike has good brake fluid, pads and good tires. Also, that it is mechanically in good condition, and not going to fall apart.

For gear you need racing boots and gloves and a leather suit with a back protector. Also a Snell/ECE AND DOT fiberclass construction helmet less than 5 years old.

If there is anything more specific be sure to ask.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Welcome to nesr. Seems line your mind is polluted and on the right track, no pun.

Check out all the local flavors of trackdays before you go loyalling yourself away. Hopefully I'll see you out there soon.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

my attitude matches yours GixxerJosh's Avatar

Welcome! Also from the Southeast here. Where did you take your course?

MSF RiderCoach http://www.trainingwheelsonline.com
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach http://www.planetdirt.com

Evergreen Safety Council Sidecar/Trike Education Program Instructorhttp://www.trainingwheelsonline.com/...l#spyder-trike

Thanks for the info guys. I do have all the gear for the track. I have a SNELL2010 helmet, gauntlet gloves, full length boots, and I picked up a used Joe Rocket suit that's in mint condition, no armor in it though. My bike is in great shape even though its old so no worries there.

Josh, I took my MSF course at Minuteman HD in Dartmouth. The guys there were awesome instructors and I learned a ton from them.

So far I've been trying to come up with a list of stuff I need for the track. I have the gear so that's set. I think all I need is a front stand because I have a rear stand, tire warmers, one of those VP gas cans, an EZ up tent or something like that, and some ramps to get the bike in my truck.

You really don't NEED any of that extra stuff you've described, besides the fuel can and a way to get there.
    At any nhms td you can expect a garage spot, you don't need tire warmers, even on race slicks, so long as you warm them up for a couple laps.

Plus with something like a trackday, even if you think you're Rossi (not saying you do) you're gonna start off slow. So, you can accumulate the accessories over some time.

And I'd definitely be looking for armour of some sort.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 08-27-13 at 07:39 AM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Your on the right track. But, your a bit off for a first timer. If you choose to go to NHMS, there are garages available with power, so the EZ up wouldn't be necessary unless you prefer to setup in the parking lot. Some people do. NYST has no such facilities, so it may be more useful there. The tire warmers are way overkill for a first timer. Unless your last name is Stoner there should be no way that you are pushing your tires past their cold abilities immediately on the track as a first timer. Many advanced trackday riders don't even bother with them. If in the future you do choose to use them, you will need the front stand, and most people using warmers are on race tires. That said, a front stand isn't a bad thing to have for general maintenance and such. You don't need a special gas can, any 5 gal should do, and NHMS has a pump on site so you don't really need a can at all. The fuel jugs do make it easier to fill up than a standard safety can.

Personally I over pack and never use half of what I bring, but here is my list. I may be forgetting some things, and few people bring as much as me, but I hope it helps.

-tools (wrenches, sockets, allens, drills, dremmel, chargers, ECT)
    -spare fluids (brake fluid, locktight, antiseize, motoroil)
    -gear including 2 helmets and 2 pairs of gloves
    -helmet fan
    -Air mattress and blankets (I sleep in my trailer the night before usually)
    -bike pump and TIRE GAUGE (the tire gauge is probably the tool I use the most)
    -stands and warmers with extension cords and a 3 way splitter
    -A folding chair (Maybe this is the tool I use the most )
    -Bottled water and Gatorade and snacks, generally 2 liters of water and 2 bottles or Gatorade and granola bars or something like that. NHMS has a restaurant so don't stress if you forget this. It's nice to have ahead of time and when you want it though)
    -A huge fucking smile on my face, because I'm at the racetrack and there is no better place on this planet.

Last edited by maxim_X; 08-27-13 at 07:55 AM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Thanks for the advice. I thought the tire warmers would just be a decent idea on general but if I can save the 300 bucks that's fine with me. Looks like I have most of what I need then. I just need to find some tires for next year. Its hard to find sport bike tires for the 18" rear wheel.

I think bridgestone makes some. Kurlon would know, he likes crazy old bikes.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet