Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wellesley, MA n00b here ( '~' )y

Re: Wellesley, MA n00b here ( '~' )y

welcome, I'm in and out of wellesley all the time, I work/grew up here. Its quite possibly the worst town to ride around as well, so make sure you have your head on a swivel. My bike isn't running yet, but I would definitely go for a ride with you guys next spring, or depending on if I get it ready to roll in the next week or so.

try out the training wheels courses in framingham, they're quite awesome and will help you be a better rider.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I own a 335xi and my wife drives it. I ride to work every day. I totally agree with you. In fact, my wife noticed that as well - most offensive behavior comes from BMW drivers!//
    I wish it were the case that all bad drivers drove BMW's or were from Massachusetts or whatever. These days drivers are so bad across the board that I question if there is any kind of car or any place in the US where poor drivers don't predominate. The days when drivers of enthusiast cars took pride in displaying their driving skill seems to be long gone.

In any case all motorcyclists are well advised to obey the "Tonnage Rule" above all others. Ego-involved drivers are not restricted to one brand, and the possibility of the driver being drunk or drugged or antisocial and thus reacting unpredictably is high.

This guy was reputed to be on meth.
    Dump truck driver to be sentenced Sept. 21 in deaths of four motorcyclists
    August 24, 2012
    An Arizona driver who killed four motorcyclists and injured five others when he drove his 23,000-pound dump truck into the back of the group at a Phoenix stoplight in 2010 has been found guilty.

The driver, Michael Jakscht, was found guilty of four counts of manslaughter, five counts of aggravated assault and four counts of endangerment on Aug. 15.

Jakscht will be sentenced Sept. 21. He faces up to 21 years in prison for each of the manslaughter charges and 15 years for each of the aggravated assault charges.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

don't let the cold gear stop you from riding. Get some electric liner and gloves. I ride down to 10 degrees. I have basically been riding every day to work since March 2011. This was a great winter to ride thru. No sand and salt were spread around.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I wish it were the case that all bad drivers drove BMW's or were from Massachusetts or whatever. These days drivers are so bad across the board that I question if there is any kind of car or any place in the US where poor drivers don't predominate. The days when drivers of enthusiast cars took pride in displaying their driving skill seems to be long gone.

In any case all motorcyclists are well advised to obey the "Tonnage Rule" above all others. Ego-involved drivers are not restricted to one brand, and the possibility of the driver being drunk or drugged or antisocial and thus reacting unpredictably is high.

This guy was reputed to be on meth.
    Jesus.. What a fucking story.. Hope that guy got killed in jail by bikers.

09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Cages: Ford Excursion
    Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalewitCheese View Post
    welcome, I'm in and out of wellesley all the time, I work/grew up here. Its quite possibly the worst town to ride around as well, so make sure you have your head on a swivel. My bike isn't running yet, but I would definitely go for a ride with you guys next spring, or depending on if I get it ready to roll in the next week or so.

try out the training wheels courses in framingham, they're quite awesome and will help you be a better rider.
    I've only been in Wellesley for 4 months, but I can tell how relentless and merciless the drivers are in this town. I use route 9 every now and then, but whenever I need to get on it, there's always a stream of cars rushing by you, and EVEN IF there was a red light, they make sure to pull right up and block the turnaround break in the barrier, so by the time they clear out, because the light is now green, there is yet another wave of cars already behind the first one. It's extremely aggravating. Sometimes I'm sitting there for 10 minutes waiting for these assholes to disappear.

Have another asshole story that happened yesterday, but since this is a welcome thread, it's probably good not to continue it here. I'll see if I can find a road asshole thread and post it there, or start one.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, guys!

Lifer

All those turnarounds they don't really try to block it.. there's no where to go, and since they are going straight where do you expect them to go?

It's actually interesting since I've had mixed people when I squeeze by just to get to the turn lane. I flip the signal on and go by, some people get mad until they realize you're heading for the turnaround then they let off, some are just mad people

I like your masshole stories... if I had a camera with me I'd have a new one everyday with my commute into boston, but I'm in my car most of the time because although the commute in the morning is good, the commute home is hell to pay! I was even flipping a coin today because I wanted to ride so bad.

You know, I've gotten into this so called "phenomenon" where every single time that I used the car, I wish I rode my bike. I've had days where I was just too tired in the morning, or it was too cold or stormy, and then it cleared up later in the day, I was beating myself up about not riding. I never thought that riding a motorcycle would be so exhilarating. I say now, take all my material possessions away, but leave me my computer and my bike, and I'll still be happy.

I once rode into work and at the end of the day, there was a torrential rain. I have never ridden in such a storm before, but hell if I didn't get courage for the experience. I rode very slow, regardless of any cars behind me, and made sure to plan all my braking to be way in advance. Starts were slow, braking was gradual. I was soaked everywhere but my head [I wear a level 3 armor leather jacket, jeans, ankle high boots, and wrist covering gloves as well as a full face helmet], and my boots had oceans in them. Lightning and thunder were right above me, and I kept wondering if I was a mobile lightning rod. I made it home safe and sound though, then promptly started wringing everything out and wiped the bike down. It was a ton of fun, but if I expect that there will be rain, even in patches throughout the day, I defer to the car as much as I dislike it. I'd rather be safe than sorry. But then the rain stops before the end of the day and I'm like rain. Oh well.

You need to help yourself first before you can help anyone else.
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R [Haku]
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX500 [Kiku]

Quote Originally Posted by luukasama View Post
    You know, I've gotten into this so called "phenomenon" where every single time that I used the car, I wish I rode my bike. I've had days where I was just too tired in the morning, or it was too cold or stormy, and then it cleared up later in the day, I was beating myself up about not riding. I never thought that riding a motorcycle would be so exhilarating. I say now, take all my material possessions away, but leave me my computer and my bike, and I'll still be happy.

I once rode into work and at the end of the day, there was a torrential rain. I have never ridden in such a storm before, but hell if I didn't get courage for the experience. I rode very slow, regardless of any cars behind me, and made sure to plan all my braking to be way in advance. Starts were slow, braking was gradual. I was soaked everywhere but my head [I wear a level 3 armor leather jacket, jeans, ankle high boots, and wrist covering gloves as well as a full face helmet], and my boots had oceans in them. Lightning and thunder were right above me, and I kept wondering if I was a mobile lightning rod. I made it home safe and sound though, then promptly started wringing everything out and wiped the bike down. It was a ton of fun, but if I expect that there will be rain, even in patches throughout the day, I defer to the car as much as I dislike it. I'd rather be safe than sorry. But then the rain stops before the end of the day and I'm like rain. Oh well.
    You'd be surpised at a bike's capabilities in the wet. I wouldn't be leaning it much in puddles, but when it's just wet, the bike is capable of being leaned over. I like riding in the rain other than the fact of getting soaked.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 690E. Past: FE250, S1000XR, S1000R, Streefighter S, Monster S2R1000, RC51

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12