Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

1996 RM125 Build

  1. #1
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,719

    1996 RM125 Build


    I re-assembled a 1996 RM125 for a friend, and boy was it a project. Picture re-assembling a bike that SOMEONE ELSE took apart 8 YEARS AGO.

    The motor blew, they tore it down, cleaned it, rebuilt the motor, and then it sat.

    It was such a pain, I have a box of parts that DONT EVEN APPLY TO THE BIKE. Snowmobile parts, other parts, etc. I had to buy many new bolts, and it ended up costing $500 when I though only re-assembly was needed. She got a new killswitch, new bolts, new chain and sprockets, new clutch lever, new fluids, new tube, new radiators, new rim clamp, etc.

    Bike is bored, has a pipe, muffler, reeds, etc.

    Fucker is an animal. I believe my friend wants to sell it and I will advertise it soon here, pricing help appreciated.

    Anyway, She went from this:



    to this:


    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,719

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    43
    Posts
    12,958

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    It wasn't owned by Bhevish or Kid at one point was it?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

  4. #4
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    7,201

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    now that's my kinda therapy ... did you/they recoat the frame, wheels, etc or that's orig? looks minty if so

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  5. #5
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,719

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    It wasn't owned by Bhevish or Kid at one point was it?
    Doubt it, I could get more history, but I think someone in Maine raced it, then sold it to my friends cousin around 2006? Then my friend bought it, then his brother cooked it around 2010 and it sat.

    I fell into my predicament by bitching for years how it was a shame it was sitting so long and it turned into, "if your feeling froggy bitch, jump on it"

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,719

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    now that's my kinda therapy ... did you/they recoat the frame, wheels, etc or that's orig? looks minty if so
    Nope, no recoated anything. I dont think it has a ton of hours on it. it is clean as hell for sure.

    I'm 6'5" 250 and NOT a super experienced dirtbike rider, and I live on a long dirt road up a steep hill, and if you guys see me stop posting, just assume this bitch has killed me and pour one out for me. Its..... non linear in its power delivery.



    I LOVE IT.



    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,719

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    all shocks have been rebuilt, and motor was rebuilt by a reputable shop. Factory connection pipe, Keihin carb, reeds (did they have reeds stock?) 12/51 gearing, great tires, Rads were leaking so I put a new set of GPI racing Radiators on it, shes CHERRY.


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xrocket21; 06-05-18 at 07:24 PM.

  8. #8
    Lifer Tekime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Falmouth, ME
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,335

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    Nice! Looks great. I tried so hard to pick up a two stroke project this last winter but had three deals flake out on me and finally gave up (temporarily)

    Price wise I’d guess you’ll have a hard time getting over $1,500 maybe $2k just because of the age. So many RMs out there but if you sit on it for a while someone might pop up that can appreciate all the new parts and build. Take that with a grain of salt though just going on what I’ve seen in the market last few months.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

  9. #9
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,719

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    Old Vs. New


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #10
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,719

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Nice! Looks great. I tried so hard to pick up a two stroke project this last winter but had three deals flake out on me and finally gave up (temporarily)

    Price wise I’d guess you’ll have a hard time getting over $1,500 maybe $2k just because of the age. So many RMs out there but if you sit on it for a while someone might pop up that can appreciate all the new parts and build. Take that with a grain of salt though just going on what I’ve seen in the market last few months.
    Fair enough, Was was honestly thinking $1,500-$2,000. Literally just put $500 into though (not including the motor), so life is tough. New chain and sprockets, new rads, and 100% fresh motor, like I am breaking it in right now. Its SUPER clean, as seen in the pics. Like it was stripped to the frame and put back together.

    Thanks for the input.

    Who wants to come tenty on a lawn in maine and ride with me before I sell it??????????????? Seriously.... Trails here are nasty from the back of my house. Just wait for me at the next turn....

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xrocket21; 06-05-18 at 07:49 PM.

  11. #11

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    OH GOD NO THE HORRIBLE MEMORIES

    I want through a rebuild on a 1998 RM 125 and it was terrible because that is the one year that there was a design flaw in the case and it breaks at the same point . You also can’t use cases off a different year because they move the water pump impeller to a different location. When I finally got a correct year motor it was also broken in the same spot inside the crankcase . I bought it for $700 spent another $2500 rebuilding it then sold it for 1200 bucks the next Rider or Owner wrote it three times and locked it up. Bike was effing cursed .

    You actually have 99 to 2000 radiator shrouds so take a look at the Vin at the 10th digit and tell me the letter in case you have a newer bike . Aldo the radiator shrouds will fit on older bikes so you may actually have a 96 . I would need to see the right side of the bike so I can see the water pump I would need to know which carburetor it has ( is the choke and idle speed combined into one knob? ). Actually at a minimum it is definitely a 96 to 98 because you have conventional forks . Correction you have outstanding handling conventional forks .

    I had a 144 Eric gorr stroker motor and it was downright terrifying. Way scarier than the YZ250 I have now and the ‘00 YZ250 I had a couple years ago. Not as scary as a 426 or newer 450 but it was wild

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-05-18 at 08:51 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R**

  12. #12
    Lifer Tekime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Falmouth, ME
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,335

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Fair enough, Was was honestly thinking $1,500-$2,000. Literally just put $500 into though (not including the motor), so life is tough. New chain and sprockets, new rads, and 100% fresh motor, like I am breaking it in right now. Its SUPER clean, as seen in the pics. Like it was stripped to the frame and put back together.

    Thanks for the input.

    Who wants to come tenty on a lawn in maine and ride with me before I sell it??????????????? Seriously.... Trails here are nasty from the back of my house. Just wait for me at the next turn....
    If you aren't in a rush to sell you might fetch more for it, I'd get it on FB classifieds seems like everyone is on there now. Value-wise I've had some good luck with cash + trades in the past.. seems like there's always someone with an arsenal of guns looking for a dirt bike and vice versa.

    Would love to hit just any trails right now but my DR is under the knife. Haven't even touched a trail since December, it's killing me.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

  13. #13
    Lifer Gixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sandown, NH
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    When I saw the title I was hoping for the yellow and purple tye dye seat, what was that, 92?

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Lifer Gixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sandown, NH
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    1996 RM125 Build-1b61931c-d61d-4f64-9747-5270c974dad8
    Mmmmm the 90s

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,337

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    Holy shit that was a thing?!? I want that.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

  16. #16
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,719

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    OH GOD NO THE HORRIBLE MEMORIES

    I want through a rebuild on a 1998 RM 125 and it was terrible because that is the one year that there was a design flaw in the case and it breaks at the same point . You also can’t use cases off a different year because they move the water pump impeller to a different location. When I finally got a correct year motor it was also broken in the same spot inside the crankcase . I bought it for $700 spent another $2500 rebuilding it then sold it for 1200 bucks the next Rider or Owner wrote it three times and locked it up. Bike was effing cursed .

    You actually have 99 to 2000 radiator shrouds so take a look at the Vin at the 10th digit and tell me the letter in case you have a newer bike . Aldo the radiator shrouds will fit on older bikes so you may actually have a 96 . I would need to see the right side of the bike so I can see the water pump I would need to know which carburetor it has ( is the choke and idle speed combined into one knob? ). Actually at a minimum it is definitely a 96 to 98 because you have conventional forks . Correction you have outstanding handling conventional forks .

    I had a 144 Eric gorr stroker motor and it was downright terrifying. Way scarier than the YZ250 I have now and the ‘00 YZ250 I had a couple years ago. Not as scary as a 426 or newer 450 but it was wild
    The 10th digit is a "T", what does that mean?

    Choke and idle I dont think are one knob?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #17

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    T = 1996

    On the Keihin PWM the choke and idle speed are one knob...if they are separate, then you have a Keihin PWK which is a bitching carb

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R**

  18. #18
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    7,201

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Nope, no recoated anything. I dont think it has a ton of hours on it. it is clean as hell for sure.

    I'm 6'5" 250 and NOT a super experienced dirtbike rider, and I live on a long dirt road up a steep hill, and if you guys see me stop posting, just assume this bitch has killed me and pour one out for me. Its..... non linear in its power delivery.

    I LOVE IT.
    Keepin' It Real, baby 2T is life.. .

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  19. #19
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,719

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    T = 1996

    On the Keihin PWM the choke and idle speed are one knob...if they are separate, then you have a Keihin PWK which is a bitching carb
    Well, here is a pic. The idle is low, and I turned the screw to the right of the blue hose, above the H to raise the idle and it didnt work for shit, so it would totally make sense that turning the choke would adjust the idle....




    is it the PWK carb?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  20. #20
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,719

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    I was going by this:

    http://www.keihincarbs.com/tips/gate.html

    #4 in the pic, and I have it bottomed out to get it to idle, which it says you shouldnt do, but if I back it off it wont idle. WTF are they talking about here:

    Zero throttle operation - (idle circuit) idle screw: depending on your type of riding adjust the minimum idle speed to desired rpm making sure the engine is up to operating temperature
    If you do not desire any idle make sure you turn in the adjusting screw just enough so the engine will not idle. This is especially important on Keihin PJ series carbs in that the idle adjust knob (#4 in illus.) cannot be completely closed.
    Such an adjustment will result in a sluggish response off idle.

    why would you NOT want idle??

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  21. #21

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    Yes, you have a PWK36...sweet

    If it idles bottoming it out, and the bike rolls on without stalling, just ride it LOL

    Because if it’s not idling it could the carb needs to be cleaned (pilot jet passageways are clogged), it could be the jetting (specifically the pilot jet itself is the wrong size), the air/fuel screw is the wrong number of turns (but this a fine tune adjustment) or the exhaust valve (mine was actually broken and stuck in the open position).

    To be honest I forgot how that carb works - does the idle screw just raise the slide?

    The idle speed screw is the one to the right of the blue hose above the H.

    Your choke knob is just a choke knob...it has nothing to do with idle speed except for cold starts

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-06-18 at 09:15 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R**

  22. #22
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    7,201

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    why would you NOT want idle??
    it's a 125cc race oriented 2-stroke, setting the idle too high can lead to poor performance when you snap the throttle open. no bueno for a racer. blip, blip, blip! bbrrraaaaaaap! constantly keeping those revs up while also fanning the clutch for power. they want their neck wrung constantly.

    of course all kinds of 'race' bikes are used for just trail riding as well, but if you set the idle too high it can potentially foul the plug easier. that's where more tuning comes in for your application. you'll prob want to just try to set it to barely-barely idle for your use. blipping over and over to keep it alive is totally normal.

    the above assumes all jets are correct and circuilts are clear.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  23. #23
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,719

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    Thanks guys, you rock!!! Ill back it off. Good to hear that it has the good carb as well!

    The exhaust valve isnt broken, the motor was just torn down, and I cleaned the carbs thoroughly before putting it together, I think I just was in the wrong line of thinking on how this thing should idle.

    Fuel screw is 1.5 turns out to start.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  24. #24
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    7,201

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Fuel screw is 1.5 turns out to start.
    Air

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  25. #25
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,719

    Re: 1996 RM125 Build

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    Air
    my bad

    99% of my carb tuning has been on my 800cc triple sled, which has a fuel screw.

    What is so good about that carb anyway? Bigger, or just nice quality?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •