Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2011 Honda Pilot - steering fluid leak repair question

2011 Honda Pilot - steering fluid leak repair question

Despite the silliness in any number of other threads, there are a lot of mechanically knowledgeable folks here.

Here's the deal.

2011 Pilot, owner since new 140K
    Steering pump was replaced about 2 years ago and is fine
    The leak is coming from the high pressure lines on the driver side.

Questions

Can the lines be repaired or replaced, or does the entire steering rack need to be replaced?

Any ideas for short term DIY stop gap fixes?

This is not a daily driver, it's now my son's car and he's WFH. It rarely goes more than 20 miles from home.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Re: 2011 Honda Pilot - steering fluid leak repair question

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Despite the silliness in any number of other threads, there are a lot of mechanically knowledgeable folks here.

Here's the deal.

2011 Pilot, owner since new 140K
    Steering pump was replaced about 2 years ago and is fine
    The leak is coming from the high pressure lines on the driver side.

Questions

Can the lines be repaired or replaced, or does the entire steering rack need to be replaced?

Any ideas for short term DIY stop gap fixes?

This is not a daily driver, it's now my son's car and he's WFH. It rarely goes more than 20 miles from home.
    Flush the system maybe, get fresher fluid in there? Dirty fluid is probably not the best right now. Lucas power steering leak may work to fix the leak for short to long term.

I just found some PS fluid in my tie rod boot. rack is leaking or weeping. I'm putting some Lucas in there today

hmmmm......

can you find the lines on something like a rock auto or honda site? at that point if you can replace the lines, i would go ahead and so a full PS system flush and cleaning while your in there. dealer should charge 140-180 for the fluid service.

Fluids have been added as needed, including a bottle of the Lucas leak stop.

I'll look on Rock Auto, good suggestion.

My local mechanic, whom I trust, said it's probably the entire rack assembly, but referred me to another local guy who does more of this work to get a second look.

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

Obviously the best solution is to replace it. Stop leak and other snake oil can buy you time but it will leak again, I promise.

I work at a Honda dealer, all of the lines are replaceable. If you go on bernardiparts.com and input the car you can look at the same pictures we get in the Honda cataloge.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

My experience with lines is once on goes you'll soon find the next weakest link. Rust is a bitch and breaking other things in the process of repair is common for me.

I'm not familiar with the setup on the Pilot, but I'd start with the leaking line and the hope it stops there. I'd also have in the back of my mind everything might need to be replaced in short order though.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

^ and ^^

Thanks.

Both good points, I’m noodling that decision of putting money in and trying to get is to 250k or short term fix and sell.

Body has some dent issues typical of it being the vehicle my youngest learned to drive in and took off to college, if sold it would be for pretty short money and wouldn’t really help with a replacement.

Also, I like the way it drives, in many ways more than I like my 2017 Ridgeline.

First is to decide if it's a leak or a seep. Second is to decide if whoever driving it is capable of dealing with a random complete loss of power steering assist without panicking.

If a seep and operator is confident, send it until it pops.

If a leak or operator is not confident, fix it.

Most racks have crossover tubes that come with the rack. If those are leaking, you need a rack. If you mean the hose from the pump down to the rack (half rubber, half steel) then that is replaceable separately.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    First is to decide if it's a leak or a seep. Second is to decide if whoever driving it is capable of dealing with a random complete loss of power steering assist without panicking.

If a seep and operator is confident, send it until it pops.

If a leak or operator is not confident, fix it.

Most racks have crossover tubes that come with the rack. If those are leaking, you need a rack. If you mean the hose from the pump down to the rack (half rubber, half steel) then that is replaceable separately.
    Thanks.

It looks like the all metal crossover tubes.

Driver is fine with loss of power and can keep an eye on the reservoir every day.

Mechanic will evaluate a week fromTues.

What I would really like is the ability to rent a bay with a lift and real go over the undercarriage for myself.