Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3D printing?

3D printing?

So I donít know anything about this. I cannot thing of anything id build/print.

But I kinda wanna learn about it. Iíd say I have intermediate to advanced level of computers.
    Is that stuff easy to set up and work on? Or do I need to be somewhat an engineer?

Any models to look into if I decide to jump in on this?
    Any softwares to learn on? I am about to start researching YouTube and Google but some good ol NESR advice wonít hurt.

Both my computers are Macs so no windows.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 3D printing?

Drawing models in 3d CAD programs takes a significant amount of time to learn. Then you have to run it through a slicing program. There are also various parameters on the printer itself such as plate temperature, material, etc. Almost all of my coworkers have them (engineers) and it takes a bit to get the parameters right for the plastic you are using. PLA is one of the easier plastics to use starting off.

But you're going to need a computer with a good graphics card and a lot of ram to be able to work with the programs. There are web sites you can download parts from to start with. An assemble it yourself printer can be had for around $300 now that prints decently.

Getting access to a 3d cad program might be expensive too. All my coworkers use the program we have at work and then bring the file home. We use solid edge by Siemens at work.

This is the printer all of my coworkers bought.

GearBest USA: Anet A3 Full Aluminum Plastic Frame Assembled 3D Printer US PLUG-$353.5

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by csmutty; 12-26-17 at 08:20 PM.
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Designing stuff may not be easy, but it is free for hobbyists. Cloud Powered 3D CAD/CAM Software for Product Design | Fusion 360

As Christian mentioned it still has to be processed by a slicer with machine specific settings.

I'd not recommend bargain basement printers for complete noobs. They can certainly print, but take some expertise to get right. Find a local hackerspace and join to get some experience, then build your own with an understanding of the tradeoffs.

Many public libraries have these hobby machines. But most all of them use PLA, which does not have the impact strength or temperature resistance for motorcycle parts.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

professional lurker burtonboarder23's Avatar

I've been running a Anycubic Kossel printer for around a year now. Came as a kit so you have to build it and calibrate it yourself. Biggest headache I have ever had over a weekend but well worth it as with anything you build, you have a better understanding of how everything works etc. There is actually a company in Milford Nh that builds kits. FolgerTech i believe is the name of the company. Either way, save yourself the headache and try to find something that has a heat bed for printing ABS etc as well as the ability to auto level itself. Doing it manually will drive you insane.

There is a huge community of 3d designers that publish their files for you to use for free. Check out thingiverse.com

If you do decide to take the plunge. Do yourself a favor and buy a license or pirate or whatever you need to do to get a copy of simplify3d. It was hands down the best money spent. Doing a apples to apples comparison with Cura and Simplfy3d, the overall quality of the print was 100x better.

The best part of having a 3d printer... you can print parts to modify or build another 3d printer!!!

Last edited by burtonboarder23; 12-27-17 at 10:59 AM.
    "Could you elaborate on that a bit? Just telling me not to run a specific tire, and giving me no true logical explanation is like telling me I'm going to get my dick sucked tonight, and not by whom."

Liracing is also designing their own and printing them for hospitals.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-FQamU...d=6zg79kdji19p

Cool stuff!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Put up a message on LinkedIn offering our capacity. Didn’t get any response from hospitals but we are making som phone holders for an elementary school teacher.

Places like Joann fabrics have instructions (as well as supplies) for creating masks. https://www.joann.com/make-to-give-r...-give-response
    In places where there is a lockdown, these stores are considered "non-essential" so people can't get the supplies.

The design that bubs posted is the one that most of the hospitals on SNH have agreed is the "best" (at least according to the people with the makerspaces coordinating with them).

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Places like Joann fabrics have instructions (as well as supplies) for creating masks. https://www.joann.com/make-to-give-r...-give-response
    In places where there is a lockdown, these stores are considered "non-essential" so people can't get the supplies.

The design that bubs posted is the one that most of the hospitals on SNH have agreed is the "best" (at least according to the people with the makerspaces coordinating with them).
    So this is a thing? Do you have input on how to get involved?

I literally dusted off my printer last night. It had gotten coated in drywall dust when I did my basement work this winter and I hadn't had time to clean it up and get it online again. I also found out that the octopi monitor had lunched itself again. I have the octo rebuilt and will try to get the printer back online tonight.

Most of my filament is PLA, but I recently bought a spool of TPU and PETG as well.
    I also happen to have a couple mirv 13 filters lying around as I bought a case for my shop air filter.
    I may even have most of a roll of insulation strip from the beer fridge experiments.

The fabric masks made the rounds in my wifes church lady groups. Consensus was they are not that valuable as they are not even close to the ratings required for this virus. That those masks aren't sufficient. Are we wrong?
    I have a mother in law that could crush those.

A friend discovered this article questioning the efficacy of fabric masks.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420971

Fabric covers for N95 masks are an option, a mom and daughter in Framingham have been cranking them out.

https://www.boston25news.com/news/fr...-amid-shortage

I'm not really involved, but have seen some of the conversations.

Masks
    https://www.project-cloth-masks.com/
    https://www.dartmouth-hitchcock.org/...ing-masks.html
    Do they "work"? I don't know.
    Just because they aren't effective for the virus doesn't mean they don't provide value. Not everyone in a hospital has the virus.

In SNH Make-it Labs (Nashua) has been the primary point of contact from what I can tell. Manchester Makerspace has primarily been working with them to see what direction to go in (from my casual observations).
    https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...epa=SEARCH_BOX

Update: According to some things I'm hearing facemasks have been in need, but not available.

Makerslackmessagerelaything

TL;DR; We have metric tons of PET sheet. LITERALLY. Come get some. "PET is Here! Earlier this afternoon, through the generosity of two amazing companies working together, we received a donation of 11,000lbs (yes, 11 thousand) of PET sheet in varying thickness.
    IF YOU NEED FREE PET SHEET FOR FACE SHIELDS and you know can get to Nashua, NH here's what you do:
    1) Contact covid19-response@makeitlabs.com with "PET REQUEST" in the subject line
    2) Provide contact info:
    - Who are you
    - What group are you part of
    - What hospital(s) or facilities are you working with
    - How much can you use
    Our goal is simply to make sure if we find people having overlapping efforts we can connect you, as well as get you and your groups plugged into the right people locally who you may be able to partner with. We're working out how to get as much as possible to as many people as possible as fast as possible. We do not deliver, we are not Amazon Prime, but we're here to help.
    If you are a large group, and have facilities to RECEIVE a truck with PET sheet and serve as a distribution (and potentially shield collection hub) (Artisan's Asylum, I'm looking at you , Umass and others, but I mean anywhere in New England) please put "DISTRIBUTION" in the email title so we can find it in the noise.
    More to come, I have conference calls with some global PET and NWPP suppliers tonight. This is what happens when a Fortune 500 company opens up its rolodex to Makers.
    This is the extent of my knowledge on this...

For what's it's worth, I was interested in 3D printing a couple years ago and got a Monoprice Select Mini 3D printer at (IIRC) less than $150. I was busy with other stuff so it sat for a long time.

About a month ago, I started playing around with TinkerCAD (very simple, and free) and printed out a few parts (PLA) for a bike part.
    The printer came with slicer software that played well with TinkerCAD files, and it has worked flawlessly. I was kind of surprised it worked from the first time I used it because I'd heard they could be a total pain in the ass to get working right.

I noticed the comment above about PLA being too weak for moto applications, so I'll keep an eye on that.

If you think you'll do some serious design work in 3D design, then follow the expert opinions of those who already replied. I'm just mentioning the cheap option because if you just wanted to fuck around with it and see if you want to get serious about it, you can start out very cheaply.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Stratasys has organized their network to print face shields, a more effective use of the machines. If anyone has a printer they want to devote to the purpose I can post up links to the files, which can be made from PLA.

Just downloading them know to see how big they are, my machine is 8"x8"

Do it. Post up. Why not?!

I'm still trying to carve out some time to get my machine back up and running. Not a lot of free time for me right now.

The Shield holder is about 7-3/4"x7-3/4".

https://go.stratasys.com/lp-face-shield.html

I just registered my machine at: https://www.stratasys.com/covid-19 for the Mass General effort.

Started making them. Looks like a shop in NH has volunteered to make the shields. I can make about one per hour, so not a huge number but it's something!

Edit: ordered 40 face shields (cut from one 4x8 sheet) and printing round the clock with the goal of having 12 tomorrow and the rest Monday.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-26-20 at 04:08 PM.

What do hospitals pay for face shields in volume? Our material costs are about $10 each excluding machine time, labor etc. I'm guessing they are only about $5 in large quantities. But we are told the order backlog is 8 weeks and a doc at Mass Gen told me he will take all I can make, and will pay out of pocket if necessary. I'm donating the first batch and we will go from there.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Delivering 25 tomorrow morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D printing?-1a38b9ed-5971-4719-bbf6-5934098cedf6  

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Drawing models in 3d CAD programs takes a significant amount of time to learn. Then you have to run it through a slicing program. There are also various parameters on the printer itself such as plate temperature, material, etc. Almost all of my coworkers have them (engineers) and it takes a bit to get the parameters right for the plastic you are using. PLA is one of the easier plastics to use starting off.

But you're going to need a computer with a good graphics card and a lot of ram to be able to work with the programs. There are web sites you can download parts from to start with. An assemble it yourself printer can be had for around $300 now that prints decently.

Getting access to a 3d cad program might be expensive too. All my coworkers use the program we have at work and then bring the file home. We use solid edge by Siemens at work.

This is the printer all of my coworkers bought.

GearBest USA: Anet A3 Full Aluminum Plastic Frame Assembled 3D Printer US PLUG-$353.5
    Bullshit, it's super easy! News (and members) keeps telling me 3d guns are flooding the market!

[/IMG][/URL]

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Bullshit, it's super easy! News (and members) keeps telling me 3d guns are flooding the market!
    I haven't seen anything about 3d guns in the news or on here in a couple of years, and I watch the libtard stations.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

....................... PinHead's Avatar

I could print a 3D gun easy. I am also sure that it would blow the fuck up if I ever tried to use it too.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    I haven't seen anything about 3d guns in the news or on here in a couple of years, and I watch the libtard stations.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/gun-rig...ns-11585414671

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I could print a 3D gun easy. I am also sure that it would blow the fuck up if I ever tried to use it too.
    We have the exact machine used to print the Liberator pistol. The key to the whole process was the metal case, which contains most of the pressure from firing. What they don't show you is that when the case expands, so does the plastic (ABS is rubber-modified styrene). After the case is fired, the plastic chamber tightly squeezes the casing, which has to be pounded out with a wooden dowel and a hammer.

The point of that design wasn't to make a useful firearm: it was to demonstrate that laws can never prevent nefarious individuals from doing bad things. Frankly, $50 at a hardware store would get you a more effective "field-expedient" firearm, and the political response only highlighted to those people the ways in which gun laws can be skirted.

We've been running the uPrint since Wednesday, and delivered 45 shields. Have about 20 left. Should find out today if people need more or the supply chain is catching up. A local injection molder is putting an old 2 cavity mold back in production and will ramp to 2,000 per day. So by Wednesday I expect to be building other parts, like door openers. The ABS we use can't be steam autoclaved so not sure if it can be used for ventilator parts.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-30-20 at 11:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast