Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

3rs gen Nest Thermostat accurate?

3rs gen Nest Thermostat accurate?

I just replaced my programmable Honeywell thermostat with a NEST 3rd gen.
    Nest shows 4 degrees higher than the Honeywell.
    I even put the Honeywell disconnected right next to it. Still same thing.
    Anyone experienced something similar? How did you fix it?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 3rs gen Nest Thermostat accurate?

So weird. Just checked with one of those harbor freight laser thermometers.
    NEST read 71.5 (displays 72), Honeywell read 68 (displays 68).
    Wall between them reads 70 and floor reads 69.

On my 1st gen Nest it has a few readings it combines into the temp reading, local and an IR view looking forward so it can get a better picture of the overall room temp vs just the air moving past it. What's the wall opposite the Nest read?

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    On my 1st gen Nest it has a few readings it combines into the temp reading, local and an IR view looking forward so it can get a better picture of the overall room temp vs just the air moving past it. What's the wall opposite the Nest read?
    "wall" opposite is an exterior wall with several windows. it reads 10 degrees lower.

So yeah, I'm going to say swap that nest out as reading high for some reason.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    So yeah, I'm going to say swap that nest out as reading high for some reason.
    More web searching indicates that NESTs do that a lot. And people are ditching them lately. Interesting. I'd never know before this.

Does it really matter? Set it as low as you can while still being comfortable. Whether the T stat is reading 72 degrees or 68, as long as it's comfortable it shouldn't make a difference.

I'm personally not a fan of the nest, or any method of fluctuating the temperature with your daily routine. I've found through trial and error that temperature fluctuations are actually less efficient. It takes more energy to increase the temperature and the gain from going to a lower setting when you are away is not enough to make up for the loss found in bringing the temp back up when you are home. For me this has been the case regardless of the degree of fluctuation.

One thing I should point out is that I live in a new and well insulated home. This may be a factor since the "benefit" from lower T stat settings seems to be far less in tighter homes like mine. If you are in an old house with poor insulation it may be better to lower the temp when you're away or sleeping.

I recently replaced a couple programmable thermostats with Ecobee 4's.

Things I've noticed:

The house is warm by the time I programmed to be home. Not "heat kicks on at 4:30pm", the house is already warm by then. Use a mix of in floor radiant and baseboard, so my time to warm the house is significantly different for those two zones.

The heat also kicks off sooner before my "go to bed" time. System knows how long the residual heat will remain in the house. So if I have it set to heat to the higher temp until 9:30pm, sometimes it'll kill the heat at 8:30pm and let the residual heat continue. This varies depending on outside temp.

We'll see how my energy savings reflect the investment. I didn't pay full price thanks to MassSave, but still a lot more than a normal programmable.

Just not having to walk around and adjust the heat whenever our schedule changes was worth it. Being able to check and adjust things from anywhere with my phone is also pretty mint.

Another BIG + for the Ecobee's vs Nest is the remote thermometers. Can put one in the center of the room vs on an exterior wall, or put one in a cold kid's room vs in the already warm hallway. Then you can tell the device to use a combination of thermometers, just the main unit, or just the remote one. Super helpful. In Sav's case, this could mean he could leave the thermostat where it's wired, and put the reading device in the main living area where people are.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 11-24-17 at 10:55 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

We had 1st gen EcoBees at my old office, dunno if it was a fault with the HVAC setup or the units themselves but they would lock up frequently, or actually commit suicide on occasion. On the plus side, the owner of the building was also the owner of an HVAC shop so it was no cost to us, he'd just have to keep replacing them. I want to say the early ones also couldn't directly interface with standard 24v AC systems, you had to have an intermediary box between them and they system, have they improved on that Clayton?

I'll also second Clayton's like of a thermostat that knows how long it takes to warm and cool areas, it's made our house much more comfortable consistently.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook

They are running via the C wire output on my Taco 4 zone unit quite happily. No intermediary box.

Given the Taco's 1 amp output on that C wire, I'm not sure how it'll do with a 3rd Ecobee which I'm planning to install after the 1st of the year.

So far they have been rock solid. Plus Alexa is fun to have nearby.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Four Nest Themo's (1 gen II, 3 gen III) in the house with no issues. Our schedules vary significantly and I like having the remote control option. I haven't had any inaccuracy issues with them but wish they exported more comprehensive data. I wish Nest would come out with a few passive thermometers that could be added to the network in order to keep tabs on rooms without thermostats.

Fitz