Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

what could this be? ABS question.

So my truck likes to have the ABS come on when i am rolling to a stop gently. and then it doesn't stop where i planned.

normally it doesn't happen too frequently so its not too much of an issue... i just push harder and it eventually stops within a few feet.

Today, the abs kicked in and it didn't stop and i almost tagged a shiny new volvo, the only reason it did finally stop is cause i jammed on the ebrake. The abs doesn't seem to come on if i am breaking hard though.

is there a sensor somewhere in charge of this stuff?

isn't abs supposed to be disabled under like 5 or 10 mph?

its going to the dealership tomorrow (warranty) but i am curious about what would cause this.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

ABS sucks......

Hey Oreo, it might be the same thing that plagues a lot of ABS systems. If under heavy braking you hit a little, teeny, tiny bump and the wheel comes off the ground for an instant and locks, the ABS comes on fast and furious causing the exact scenario you described.

I experience this frequently in my Subaru. I will be braking into an intersection and a small bump will cause the ABS to kick in and all of a sudden I am stopping in the middle of the intersection I would normally have stopped before.

ABS is one of the biggest PR campaigns I have ever seen. The actuality of ABS is that it increases braking distance but allows you directional control as an alternative. Personally I would rather have the damn vehicle stop where I wanted it to then be able to steer around people.

Oh well, enjoy the ABS.

Joel

Lifer

Sounds like you both have some issues with your ABS.

Lately it seems like for cars they are even saying on the track it is an advantage.

All that said I don't have ABS on my car, and I haven't ever needed it, and it saved me like $3000 as it was attached to a giant option package. I do agree with the giant PR campaign bit I guess.

Ben

this is happening under low speed and light breaking conditions.

definitely not right.

if they give me any hassle at the dealership, i'll just pull the abs fuse and drive without it, i am not afraid!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

oreo, is this a mid to late 90's Chevy truck? This is a common problem for those models. My father has the same problem with his suburban. It was one of the wheel speed sensors in the front. Try pulling the fuse for the ABS system to keep it from activating until you can get it sorted out. Good luck.

Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Originally posted by benVFR
    Sounds like you both have some issues with your ABS.

Ben
    Take a wander through many of the performance car oriented message boards, do a search about ABS problems experienced and you will likely find many people that have disabled their ABS systems, due to similar situations to what Brent and I have experienced. I know for a fact that many people that own the Subaru Impreza line, from the basic Impreza L all the way up to the STI, have run into these types of problems. When Subaru is contacted about this their reply is that the systems are operating as they should.

If you think about it, when under braking, if your wheel hits a bump and becomes airborne for a short period of time it will lock. This will in turn activate the ABS as it theoretically should. This is a combination of many things, the shocks and springs, swaybars, tires, wheel speed sensors, sensitivity of the ABS system etc. the biggest issue I see with ABS is the way it is marketed as the saviour. People feel, as they have been told by the media, that ABS will decrease braking distances when in fact more often than not it only serves to increase the given braking distance of a vehicle.

If people were actually educated as to the proper operation of a motor vehicle, when they received their license, then ABS itself wouldn't be as prevalent as it is. However, people in the US are not educated properly when it comes to driving. The majority of drivers on the road today, when presented with a situation, just stand on the brake pedal and hold on for the ride. There is no mention of properly learning and practicing threshold braking by anyone teaching young drivers to drive, with the exception of performance oriented drivers and those who have some experience on the race track.

This is just one more example of society becoming so dumbed down due to liability issues and the lack of people wanting to take responsibility for their actions. Admittedly if the technology exists to make driving safer in an unobtrusive manner then I am all for it. However as Brent, myself and numerous other drivers can attest to, ABS does not always work in the drivers best interests.

Enough ranting, I guess I just felt like typing or something.

L8R

Joel

Littering and........

Originally posted by By-Tor
    oreo, is this a mid to late 90's Chevy truck? This is a common problem for those models. My father has the same problem with his suburban. It was one of the wheel speed sensors in the front. Try pulling the fuse for the ABS system to keep it from activating until you can get it sorted out. Good luck.
    I second that. I worked for a GM dealership in college as a service advisor, we changed those things like underwear.

its a 2000 gmc sierra.

thanks for the info... i looked around, i can get the wheel speed sensor for under $60 and do it myself if the dealership gives me a hard time on it.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Brent don't forget that's $60 per wheel, and I'm not planning on putting them in for you!! There is an easier fix..............

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

Lifer

My 95 Ford Exploder does this too. To make the truck safer to drive until I can fix it I unhooked the ABS sensors from the computer under the hood.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ABS light is on in the dash, and I don't have ABS, but it isn't firing at low speeds either. If you decide to do this I would unhook it and test drive it in a wide open parking lot before taking it out on the road. Good Luck...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

further research has shown i have a "dirty" wheel speed sensor.

i pulled the abs fuse already and the truck drives fine without it. when i get some time to get into the hub i'll clean it up and get it going again.

i am not in too much of a rush, my jeep needs attention more than i need abs in my truck.
    ;-)

Thanks for all the help an info!

and bri...what on earth would i do with that little F250.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

ouch!!

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

oh its not that bad.

the doc said if you stop poking it, it might grow!!!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Just Registered

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    further research has shown i have a "dirty" wheel speed sensor.
    Per chance - did the dealer find this for you? and/or tell you how to "fix" the problem because it wasn't really a warranty issue?

Being dirty is expected for where these sensors live, though I am not familiar with the exact setup on GM trucks it stands to reason it is somewhere exposed on one of the outermost drive hubs (boy I'm smart ).
    However in many instances they are an optical sensor and they have a small glass or epoxy lens that gets dirty and their being dirty is really more of a case that the front of the lens has hazed up or been scored by the bombardment of sand and crap.

What I'm getting at is to take the same approach to cleaning the sensor as you would an expensive camera lens. I've seen on one occasion (ok actually on a few Chryslers) owners have been told to just go home and hit it with a little shop air and it'll be fine. Then they come back scratching their heads and are told they need 4 new sensors because theirs are all scratched now.

Just be careful to not mess up the optics via cleaning method (dishsoap and warm water on a clean cotton cloth or microfiber might not be bad if its a fully sealed unit). And be careful with alignment (if any) when putting it back in. Might not be a bad idea to dab some sillycone or spot paint the sensor before removal to assure it's reinstall is unquestionably straight as it was before removal.

I just had a friend with a Honda minivan that had to get the 2 rear sensors replaced after the guy working the lube rack "cleaned" them during a service

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org