Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

advice neede - spacer heaters...

Ok, here's the deal...like a lot of NE'ers my house is old and "improved" by hackers lol. The house was the old town library, when they converted it to a house30 something years ago they put in electric heat...since then a forced hot water boiler basebaord system was installed...here's the catch...

whomever installed the baseboards clearly went for conveience of installation rather then heating effeciency.....upstairs there are 3 bdr's, the master bedroom has a skylight...the original one....guess where the thermostat is....you guessed it...right in there...so the 2 side rooms turn into a suana and the master bedroom is cold. We have been using this room as a "changing" room and sleeping in the extra bedroom, but with the baby comming, we need to get back in to the other room...

My thought is to get an oiled filled radiant heater to bring up the temp in that room to try to regulate the other 2 rooms..... I know basically nothing about space heaters....

I'm thinking this one Oil-Fill Radiator Heater with Timer

opinions?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

not a professional, but have done many repairs...
    It sounds like you may cause a swing in the other direction by trying the space heater approach. You may be better off sealing up the skylight, with a frost king window kit...get at Walmart for 8.99.
    Then rerouting the wiring to the thermostat to one of the other bedrooms.

The cheapest way might be to look into one of the new wireless thermostats. Then no rewiring needed. I dont know who has them but I have seen them.

I like cats.......but I can't eat a whole one by myself.

i did the window stuff on my old apartment. helped alot

what do you men a swing in the other direction? I'll have to check out the sealing kit....i'd rather lose the skylight all together but thats not an option right now....

From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

I would move the thermostat and seal the window. Not quite the best solution but the cheapest and easiest. The best would be to make 3 zones. Or use separate heaters in each room.

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

Quote Originally Posted by bigred875 View Post
    what do you men a swing in the other direction? I'll have to check out the sealing kit....i'd rather lose the skylight all together but thats not an option right now....
    like Fasterthanu said, the best way is to have 3 zones, but since ou probably want the best/inexpensive fix to get through the winter, look into the wireless thermostat. ou can locate it anywhere you want.
    By swinging the other way, I meant that if you heat the room with the thermostat in it, then you will most likely end up with the other 2 rooms cold, because they will have different ambient temps.

With the wireless Thermo you can locate it between the rooms where it should be and get a more level ambient temp for all 3 rooms.

edit:::
    Check this out, pricey, but probably what you are looking for
    RfWeL - Rf Wireless Electronics :: Wireless Home Automation :: Thermostat & HVAC Control :: Wireless Thermostat & Receiver Combo

Last edited by noudidnt; 11-09-07 at 07:35 PM.
    I like cats.......but I can't eat a whole one by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by fasterthanu View Post
    I would move the thermostat and seal the window. Not quite the best solution but the cheapest and easiest. The best would be to make 3 zones. Or use separate heaters in each room.

+1, move the thermostat to a side room and run a fan to circulate heat from there. space heaters, dont waste the money. i used one last year to help save oil. paid more for the electricity.

Lifer

You can do some testing to see where putting the thermostat will do the most good - buy 75 feet or so of thermostat wiring, and just extend the existing wiring outside the walls. Move the thermostat from room to room and see where you get the best heat results. Have you switched over to the programmable ones yet?

For the skylight - my girlfriends condo has two of them and they leaked like syves - I took rigid foam insulation and cut pieces to slip fit into the openings. She covered these with fabric so they looked decent. Within a few hours - the bedrooms were a lot more comfortable.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

i hope you freeze to death Red

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth R6 View Post
    I would to but...he is having a kid jackass

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth R6 View Post
    well that is not very polite...

i think you guys are missing something here...if i moved the thermostat to the hallway I'd have the same problem...there are no heating elements there...only in the bedrooms....

no matter where i move the thermostat the heat will be uneven, the 2 side rooms are like 9x12 and the master bedroom is like 14x16 with a skylight....14' ceiling even if i use a wondow kit for it....as a result the 2 side rooms will always be hotter then main room.

I picked up that oil-filled heater...so far so good. It is programmable which works out great..i set it 2 hours b4 i get up then it shuts off...then on again 2 hours before i go to bed then shuts right off.....

i just needed something to take the chill out of the air......i was concerned the heater would not heat the space....it works really well...

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fasterthanu View Post
    I would to but...he is having a kid jackass
    i wish little red all the best in the world

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Try to purge the air out of the system

examine the plumbing by the furnace and see if you can channel
    water around the entire system then out a hose. It is very likely that the main bedroom loop is filled with air and there is no circulation there.

Before there was kids I dropped thw whole house to 60 and ran an oil filled heater in the bedroom... worked fine

Also there needs to be an operating air separator in the system usually located on the top of the expansion tank. this bleeds the air out automatically but sometimes fail.

oil will be $3 all year so you should invest in a tune up

if your around rhoady I have a great guy.
    The only guy I pay to do work and can give you his name and number

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

After reading your ENTIRE post, I'd have to say sealing the skylight and using a oil heater is a pretty decent approach without actually running more radiator pipes (which isn't that bad at all if you can sweat copper).

Depending on how easy the pipes are to get to, you can run bi-directional radiators and get it back to the same location is started. Just run the heating elements on the run, not the return. If your zone isn't that taxed, may be an acceptable and efficient solution, not just a temp fix.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

half squids thread made me think of this...i have an update....

after 1 month witht he Delonghi I have to say it seems to be working out great...thing puts out tons of heat.

It is programed to coincide with my thermostats and the electric bill was $15 more this month($.50/day). This will probably be more then future months because there was a lot of "testing" going on with it....I can't tell exactly how much oil I am saving yet but the boiler doesnt kick on nearly as much....if i notice a big enough savings in oil I will add another one downstairs..