Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

advise on bee keeping classes

advise on bee keeping classes

Iím considering taking one of the local bee keeping classes but noticed all the fall classes were full. A few places offer the class in late winter/early spring. Is it too late to get into it for 2017 with just a spring class?

Thanks for the help.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: advise on bee keeping classes

imho, classes are not necessary, plenty of resources to jump right in

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

I'd always suggest taking a class, if you have a question, you can't ask the book. I think you'll be fine with a late winter, early spring class. Where are you located?

One of the most important details I have learned in my past 7 years of bee keeping, is to only listen to advice from other bee keepers in the same climate zone as you live in.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I'll get a copy of the book. I've found the Dummies series a bit lite on some topics so I suspect it'll be a good place to start. Other than Youtube my knowledge and experience is nearly nil at this point.

I'm from just North of Providence RI. I'm considering the class because the many of the videos seems contradictory. I'd prefer to know from others what works locally so I don't set up something setup in my yard that becomes a nuisance to my neighbors. Similarly, I'd rather find out that now that that my area will / won't be supportive enough for a hive. If not, what I could reasonably do (planting something different, etc.).

I'm in Foster, RI, so you are the same zone as me. Any book will give you a basic idea as long as you follow up with local advice. You can also join ribeekeepers.org

As for location, they will find the plants needed, so I wouldn't worry so much about nectar and pollen. Water is something you'll want close by, bird bath or coiy pond at least.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

My (retired) father went through a local class in Merrimack, NH a few years back. He found it helpful and I'll occasionally go to him for info when stumped. I haven't taken the class however information is readily available online.

I would listen to R7's advice and only take advice from those in your same zone. That can certainly send you down the wrong path.

If you don't have bee's now, you have plenty of time to learn. Order up a hive set and a colony for the spring. If you can, prep your hive location now or at least keep an eye on several site's to gauge fall and winter sun exposure.

Fitz

I guess it didn't occur to me you could order bees without some sort of certificate or license showing you're qualified. Will places sell bees that way?

As for a site, the back side of my property is wetlands and power lines. Same for my neighbors land. I'd considered putting something on the border of the wetlands to keep it away from foot traffic while still being accessible.

No qualifications needed, I just joined my County beekeepers association and got a package of bees through them. See what you have locally, they are good for advice as well.