Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Air Compressors

Air Compressors

Ok, so my brother in law stole my small craftsmen air compressor, it was only good for filling tires anyway. And I will deal with him later.. Now I need a replacement. Would like something big enough to drive 3/8 ratchet . So what size works and what brands. Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Air Compressors

Will it stay in the shop, or will you take to the track or what.

I have a Sears-Craftsman that I bought about 20 years ago, works well. 2 hp, 20 gallon tank (horizontal). It has two wheels and a handle for moving it around. 20 years ago it was $180, probably twice that now.

It runs 3/8 ratchets and 1/2" impacts, and air drill no problem.

Here's a Sears search of $175 +
    Access Denied

Last edited by whynot; 05-01-17 at 11:45 AM.
    Don't believe everything you think.

IF it is going to be stationary, go for an oil unit, belt drive. Much quieter than the direct drive oil-less buzz units.
    What's your price range? Ingersol makes some nice residential units. If you want something cheaper, Campbell, Craftsman, etc are all pretty much the same. I have a 40+ year old Campbell that I still run. She ain't pretty but she compresses air.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

I bought a Harbor Freight 2hp, 8 gallon lube-able compressor. Don't use it a lot but it has worked well for nearly two years when called upon. Often on sale for $115, sometimes as little as $100. Portable. Spec is 4.5 SCFM @ 90 psi.

Campbell Hausfeld is around $450 and Ingersoll $700, just couldn't justify that.

PS. Somehow though I copied the HF site it brings you to Amazon....

The one I have is #69667.

Last edited by Garandman; 05-01-17 at 10:22 AM.
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Whatever you do don't buy a new budget IR from TSC or something like that. They're all cheap junk with a jacked up price and tan and red paint on em.

It really depends on how much air you want and what you want to do with it. How many CFMs you need? You want to be able to move it? Single or three phase? Budget? No matter what you buy you're going to want more unfortunately lol.

Home shop only buget is $350 or so. Just want to drive.air ratchets. If I need impacts i have a great electric one.

You can get away with a smallish one. Remember, all compressors can drive air tools. It's the question for how long before they need to "catch up" in building pressure. That's why there is a CFM rating.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I'd recommend the one-and-done approach and picking up one of those 80 gallon two stage compressors. It's expensive but there is very little it can't do

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have an old oiless devilbliss horizontal and a harbor freight veritcal oil compressor.

The HF verical is much quieter. The price fluctuates a lot if it's on sale.
    29 gal. 2 HP 150 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

You're going to need a 10 horse rotary screw compressor. Anything less and you might as well use basic hand tools.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

We're pulling out two 350hp centrifugal compressors this summer. If you can wait, I can get you one, probably handle all your needs...

Lowes always has a pretty good selection of compressors.

^ this guy fucks

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    I have an old oiless devilbliss horizontal and a harbor freight veritcal oil compressor.

The HF verical is much quieter. The price fluctuates a lot if it's on sale.
    29 gal. 2 HP 150 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor
    We bought one of those at work. It's held up well. We also had a Craftsman Professional with similar specs, about $550.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

I bought a couple cordless ratchets and I basically never use my air ratchets any more. Haven't made the leap to a cordless impact yet.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    We're pulling out two 350hp centrifugal compressors this summer.
    Out of curiosity, what are the electrical service requirements for something this large?

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Out of curiosity, what are the electrical service requirements for something this large?
    At 480 volts, 3 phase, it's approximately 400 amps. Most electricians never see an installation like this.

all this compressor talk reminds me I need to change the oil in mine

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    At 480 volts, 3 phase, it's approximately 400 amps. Most electricians never see an installation like this.
    yep, that's about right. They are being replaced with two 300hp rotary screws. Centrifugals have issues with capacity and unloading. Unless your load is constant within 10%, they aren't great, they will blow off to maintain proper pressure, not exactly efficient. These set next to a 300hp screw and a 350hp variable speed screw. Yes, much compressed air load, about 3500-4000 cfm average. This project is slated for 1.5mmkWh of savings due to a number of operational issues.
    We were also just involved with three 400hp high pressure machines (550PSI), big multi piston rigs. Those will spin your impact gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    yep, that's about right. They are being replaced with two 300hp rotary screws. Centrifugals have issues with capacity and unloading. Unless your load is constant within 10%, they aren't great, they will blow off to maintain proper pressure, not exactly efficient. These set next to a 300hp screw and a 350hp variable speed screw. Yes, much compressed air load, about 3500-4000 cfm average. This project is slated for 1.5mmkWh of savings due to a number of operational issues.
    We were also just involved with three 400hp high pressure machines (550PSI), big multi piston rigs. Those will spin your impact gun.
    Sounds like you work at an interesting shop. I've spent most of my career as a project manager and control tech for industrial electrical installation, a retrofit like that is always a fun challenge. Now I just manage a maintenance and facilities department, I'm working on the owner right now to replace our shop compressor and upgrade the air line system. Our demand is small comparatively, we just run a 10 horse compressor, but I have about 1000 feet of air lines and 85% of them are rubber flex lines. Yes, the type you're only supposed to use for 5-10 feet of an equipment drop. Anyway, I was quoted surprisingly low for a nice 10 horse rotary screw compressor, less than $5k for the unit including the starter. That with a 200 gal tank and hard line upgrade and we'll have our air situation squared away.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    I bought a couple cordless ratchets and I basically never use my air ratchets any more. Haven't made the leap to a cordless impact yet.
    What do you like for ratchets?

I hear great things about the Dewalt brushless impacts. I have a cheap Craftsman C3 system impact that does the trick 9/10 times. That system has a lot, even a brad nailer.. but no ratchet.

At this point the only things I'd want a compressor for is media blasting and painting.. both are high CFM needs, naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Sounds like you work at an interesting shop. I've spent most of my career as a project manager and control tech for industrial electrical installation, a retrofit like that is always a fun challenge. Now I just manage a maintenance and facilities department, I'm working on the owner right now to replace our shop compressor and upgrade the air line system. Our demand is small comparatively, we just run a 10 horse compressor, but I have about 1000 feet of air lines and 85% of them are rubber flex lines. Yes, the type you're only supposed to use for 5-10 feet of an equipment drop. Anyway, I was quoted surprisingly low for a nice 10 horse rotary screw compressor, less than $5k for the unit including the starter. That with a 200 gal tank and hard line upgrade and we'll have our air situation squared away.
    I don't know who your utility is, but there used to be incentives out there for compressed air storage. 200 gallon won't be substantial, but it can get you a couple bucks for simply signing an application.

Our shop does mostly efficiency projects on all avenues of industrial systems. Compressed air is just one of the rabbits in our hat. It's a neat place to work for the most part, see a lot of different technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    What do you like for ratchets?

I hear great things about the Dewalt brushless impacts. I have a cheap Craftsman C3 system impact that does the trick 9/10 times. That system has a lot, even a brad nailer.. but no ratchet.
    Sorry to derail but Craftsman does have a ratchet for the 19.2V C3 system. I have it and it works well. Maybe it's discontinued?
    Amazon.com: Craftsman 19.2 Volt C3 Max Axess Power Ratchet (Bare Tool, Bulk Packaged): Home Improvement

I paid a lot less for mine a few years ago though.

The craftsman 19.2 'heavy duty' electric impact works great for my needs. I won't go pneumatic unless i have to.

nothing like a nascar tuned air wrench and a bottle of nitrogen

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Air Compressors

I just purchased a husky belt driven one.

It was $349.99 and 20 gallons.

Also got these 2 1/2 inch Guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by imstuner; 05-02-17 at 10:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast