Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AlphaCars of Spencer MA

Lifer

AlphaCars of Spencer MA

Anyone dealt with these folks? Looking at a toy in their inventory - it's overpriced but if it's in the shape they say it is it might be worth it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: AlphaCars of Spencer MA

I’ve dealt with John P. in parts, and Jacob in service at the Boxboro location. Great service and a pleasure to deal with.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Also wtf is a Lada and why are they so expensive?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Communist cars. Ultra cheap and crappy. They arent that expensive here in the eu. Its just dealer markup. I could get anyone one of those they have sale for probably less than $2500 then ship it over to the states for a grand. Yugo was a step up from these.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    Anyone dealt with these folks? Looking at a toy in their inventory - it's overpriced but if it's in the shape they say it is it might be worth it.
    Ive never dealt with the car side of things but ive done a fair amount with the motorcycle side. I found them to be too pricey when buying vehicles but fair to expensive when buying parts. Any work done by them is generally quality but dont expect it to be done quickly. Thats a big reason why i never purchased a vehicle from them. Just to have a simple service done on a motorcycle took weeks on occasion. Thats actually why i stopped going to them in the end. It always seemed like they were doing me a favor yet took forever and charged a ton for it.
    If i was to buy a vehicle from them i would plan on not having them service it or do any warranty work. Make sure you can bring it someplace else and still have it honoured or else you will be without a vehicle for long periods of time if something goes wrong.

Lifer

Thanks. I wouldn't have them do any service since they're not very close to me, but it's still good to know.

As much as I would want to get the 911, it's hard to pass on the cayman for price/performance in comparison.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Lifer

I'm leaning towards the Cayman, but not at that price. Figure if it's still there in February they'll be more likely to deal. If not, I'll just keep looking.

If you want to buy a good-value Porsche, buy a Cayman. If you want to buy a 911, though, buy a 911.

...but don't buy a Tiptronic anything.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Communist cars. Ultra cheap and crappy. They arent that expensive here in the eu. Its just dealer markup. I could get anyone one of those they have sale for probably less than $2500 then ship it over to the states for a grand. Yugo was a step up from these.
    a buddy of mine drove one of those all over the Czech countryside back in the day, was living in Prague at the time, he loved it green one from the 70's

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    If you want to buy a good-value Porsche, buy a Cayman. If you want to buy a 911, though, buy a 911.

Realistically this is going to get about 3500 miles on it a year, so I suspect the Cayman will be fine. I don't know anything about Porsches to be honest - what's your note about Tiptronic about? I searched the interwebs and nothing really stands out....

Last edited by Bonk!; 12-03-20 at 11:55 AM.

Lifer

PDK on the other hand, is by far the best 'auto' transmissions I've ever driven. Not sure how they hold up long term though. I didn't realize Porsche still was selling cars with both types. Assuming PDK is much more expensive.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

Realistically this is going to get about 3500 miles on it a year, so I suspect the Cayman will be fine. I don't know anything about Porsches to be honest - what's your note about Tiptronic about? I searched the interwebs and nothing really stands out....
    So you're buying it to do the 2 TTD Palmer car days! Sweet! I want a Cayman. I just drove the newer 4 banger. Amazing car.

Paul_E_D

Tiptronic is just Porsche's word for "automatic". It's boring and it sucks and it takes the life out of the car. Wait and find a manual.

PDK, on the other hand, is the German name for "Porsche double-clutch" and it's fucking amazing. But I don't think either of those cars are PDK.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Lifer

Tiptronic is just Porsche's word for "automatic". It's boring and it sucks and it takes the life out of the car. Wait and find a manual.
    Technically, isn't it one of the major transaxle manufacture's brand of driver-controlled torque converter fed automatic? Some torque-converter 'semi autos' are terrible, but some aren't too bad. I'd say the earlier stuff was the worst of it.

And I believe you're right that both of the vehicles linked are tiptronics, not pdk's.

nedirtriders.com

With as many Lada's that star in those Russian dashcam videos, it makes one wonder about their stability...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Lifer

I've been watching for a Cayman for a while, but nothing really jumped out at me. Someone suggested a BMW M2, and holy hell those things are fast. I guess the M240i rides a bit softer, so that may be the way I go since I'm old and soft myself. I've found a loaded 2017 M2401 xdrive for less than any 2012 or newer Cayman S. So, I may be buying sooner that I thought I would.

The M2 is special. It’s Jeremy Clarkson’s favorite M car, and the newer competition is even better. The 235/240 doesn’t have the same character, but they are generally well likes. The b58 motor in the 240 is amazing. I drive a 135, which is kind of the predecessor to the 2 series here and the car is a very engaging driving experience, while being comfortable.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

From what I've read the M240i rides just a little softer, which is what I am looking for. I don't really need the edginess of the M2. I am doing a couple test drives today.

I had an x3 for several years but my wife found the seat too firm for long rides. Anyone know about quality seat covers in case needed for the M2?

I have an m235i xdrive and still love driving it. Jb4 tuner and an intake to hear the turbo noise and Im happy as can be. I have a set of Snows for the winter and travel up north for skiing usually twice a week, thing is a tank in weather. Honestly, if you don't need a ton of room, cause there isn't, it's a really fun NE daily driver.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Lifer

You're right - crazy fun test drive. Sales guy simply tossed me the keys and away I went. Thing grips an off ramp at 70 like no one's business. And it was WAY more comfortable than my X3. I've decided to hold off until Spring though - I'm in no hurry and this will give me time to shop for a great deal - this guy wasn't interested in negotiating. It will be nice to keep the truck in the garage for once.

Haha nice! Yeah, I did that with a friend of a friend, tossed him the keys to mine, he owns one now.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast