Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

American holidays

American holidays

Is there any non-war related or is this just a new trend after 9-11 that in every holiday something needs to be said about the troops and whatever war "against terrorism" is going on?
    Simple example in Europe we celebrate may 1st which has also been called "flower day". It's the conversation of the work day from 12 to 8hours. Very similar to the Mexican cinco de mayo. It's kinda like BBQ day (real day dedicated to BBQ not like memorial day has turned into).
    On August 15th we celebrate a blessed summer among with most people believe was virgin Mary's birthday (lol).
    And there's a lot more holidays going on like that. Being here for 6 years I haven't noticed anything similar. Does stuff like that exist and people just don't care (it's not big enough) or no?

0 Not allowed!

Re: American holidays

0 Not allowed!

We praise our troops during the holidays because they aren't able to spend the holidays as we can due to their service. It's common to thanks 'em whenever possible for ALL their sacrfices. There's many holidays that have nothing directly to do with our troops. As Americans we owe a HUGE debt of gratitude for our VOLUNTEER forces, and if thanking them through every holiday is another way to do that, then that's the way it is...

3 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Thanksgiving. Christmas. New years. Labor day. Columbus day (that's kind of war related, depending on how you look at it) so yeah, there's some.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I'm trying to understand what the point of this question is, are you really that ignorant to American history and the basis the country was founded upon, or are you trying to stir up a debate?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
    I'm trying to understand what the point of this question is, are you really that ignorant to American history and the basis the country was founded upon, or are you trying to stir up a debate?
    Easy, killer. I think it's a legitmate question that's being asked sincerely. At least that's the way I read it. If not, then have at it. But let's dial it back 'til we know for sure, ya freak...

1 Not allowed!

The union guys will tell you, don't leave out labor day!

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Easy, killer. I think it's a legitmate question that's being asked sincerely. At least that's the way I read it. If not, then have at it. But let's dial it back 'til we know for sure, ya freak...
    That. It's a legit question.

Chip christmas and new years are not American holidays lol.
    I forgot about thanksgiving good point.

Stoneman I understand that you as a nation it's likely to pay respect to your forces but do t you think it's been a little bit too much after 9/11?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
    You really don't wanna discuss my thoughts on the foundations n American history.
    But I don't like to talk like an expert about things I have minimal knowledge on. That's why I asked this.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Stoneman I understand that you as a nation it's likely to pay respect to your forces but do t you think it's been a little bit too much after 9/11?
    On the contrary. I don't think we did it enough BEFORE 9/11. And I still don't think we thank 'em enough, holidays or not. They're doing what they do so WE can enjoy the days & celebrations. It's about damn time we start treating 'em like it...

2 Not allowed!

I understand that you as a nation it's likely to pay respect to your forces but do t you think it's been a little bit too much after 9/11?
    Or maybe we didn't do it ENOUGH before 9/11. How the hell can we thank our troops to much? I don't know you but that was just a f'n stupid thing to say.

3 Not allowed!

You really don't wanna discuss my thoughts on the foundations n American history.
    Now this sounds interesting to hear...

As for holidays -- the only major one that IS war-related is Memorial Day (I'm not counting Independence Day because it's about independence, not war; it just happens that war was necessary to secure independence). There's also Veteran's Day, but it's the same idea as Memorial Day, and very few people seem to actually get the day off.

--mark

0 Not allowed!
    '17 KTM 1090 Adventure R / '16 Honda Africa Twin (for sale) / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L (for sale) / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, June 1-3, 2018

America has a pretty militaristic and short history and so indeed we celebrate our troops, especially during holidays based on military actions. And while Independence Day is not truly only a war based holiday, it definitely has military overtones. There are many countries which should celebrate America's military history and send thanks as well. And there are some that would probably refrain.

0 Not allowed!

On the contrary. I don't think we did it enough BEFORE 9/11. And I still don't think we thank 'em enough, holidays or not. They're doing what they do so WE can enjoy the days & celebrations. It's about damn time we start treating 'em like it...
    you know what? you are absolutely right! I never thought of it like that before. Good fucking point.
    just another thing I wanna ad to this is that im shocked that 9/11 is not a holiday. a similar day in Greece is March 25th and October 28th and legit EVERYTHING is closed. Schools, Public Services, etc. Im surprised its not like that here. When I was in college my last year (09) it was not even mentioned about 90% of the professors there.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    America has a pretty militaristic and short history and so indeed we celebrate our troops, especially during holidays based on military actions. And while Independence Day is not truly only a war based holiday, it definitely has military overtones. There are many countries which should celebrate America's military history and send thanks as well. And there are some that would probably refrain.
    thats pretty much my opinion on it. glad an american can recognize and be honest about that. But it was a legit question about what other big holidays are celebrated here

0 Not allowed!

just another thing I wanna ad to this is that im shocked that 9/11 is not a holiday...
    I believe the general concensus on that is we don't wanna celebrate a terrorist act that killed so many innocents. Same as Pearl Harbor Day isn't REALLY a holiday. Yeah, it's acknowledged and celebrated to a point, but I agree with the sentiment that it should NOT be a federal holiday...

3 Not allowed!

I believe the general concensus on that is we don't wanna celebrate a terrorist act that killed so many innocents. Same as Pearl Harbor Day isn't REALLY a holiday. Yeah, it's acknowledged and celebrated to a point, but I agree with the sentiment that it should NOT be a federal holiday...
    might be a language barrier, but holiday doesnt necessary mean celebration as much as a day dedicated to something.
    Just to give you an example where all this kinda coming from; I was in maine for the 4th. and there was pictures of the fallen soldies on the main park. Now thats where the fireworks are coming from. A bit confusing in my eyes. Anyways i am not here to judge. its just my culture and how I was raised.
    November 17th in Greece is a day dedicated against dictetorship. Several college students died that day fighting for their ideals and freedom. it is a national holiday. We dont light fireworks or go out. But the schools close down in the memory of those who started the modern fight against freedom. thats pretty much what I was expecting for 9/11 when I first moved here.

0 Not allowed!

A lot of the random holidays in european countries are religious holidays, and while christmas/easter is a holiday in the US, i feel like most of the other random holidays are left out due to the whole freedom of religion thing. maybe.

0 Not allowed!

America has a strong history of War. And it cheerishes it, as it should. We fought the Britsh, each other, the Nazy, the Japanese, the vietcong, the iraqui (twice) and taliban. We keept the commies at bay and the communist regime felt due to economic unsustainability. How about the cuban missil crisis? Now that was awesome. Not to mention participation in Nato humanitarian missions.

America sets the record straight every step of the way. It ain't affraid of fighting for the interest of the nation.

So yeah....remembering our military record is in inevitable during holidays.

Now, military history aside, look for Thanksgiving as one of the most important American Holidays. Cheerish the prilgrim tradition as they give thank to the new land and brighter future prospect of emigrating from England to New England. Look no futher if you're looking for a truly meanifull holiday.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Eddie; 07-05-12 at 11:57 AM.

might be a language barrier, but holiday doesnt necessary mean celebration as much as a day dedicated to something.
    Just to give you an example where all this kinda coming from; I was in maine for the 4th. and there was pictures of the fallen soldies on the main park. Now thats where the fireworks are coming from. A bit confusing in my eyes. Anyways i am not here to judge. its just my culture and how I was raised.
    November 17th in Greece is a day dedicated against dictetorship. Several college students died that day fighting for their ideals and freedom. it is a national holiday. We dont light fireworks or go out. But the schools close down in the memory of those who started the modern fight against freedom. thats pretty much what I was expecting for 9/11 when I first moved here.
    No, I pretty much understand what you were/are asking & saying. Celebrating doesn't equal a holiday and holidays don't necessarily equate to celebrating. Some holidays are meant more for commemorating & rememberence. But your original question was in regard to thanking American service members - which I think was fairly well answered...

0 Not allowed!

It was def answered and I'm glad everything stayed within respectful limits and no swearing has taken place (with few exceptions).
    It's interesting to see it from other peoples point of view as well.
    Thanks for educating me on all that. Thanksgiving is my favorite American holiday lol. Can't go wrong with family gatherings, shit ton of food and sports.

0 Not allowed!

Dic on
    Wirelessly posted

I know where Savvas is coming from with this question as I have tried to raise it a couple of times with friends and had my head chewed off. I appreciate the great answers here to this very hard to articulate question.

Stoneman said it best. Although the holiday may not specifically be about the troops currently serving, it is right to remember them on all holidays, if only because they are not with family to celebrate them.

I think it is also right to remember the real meaning behind the particular holiday also though, and It disappoints me to see exaggerated Facebook anecdotes about 150lb backpacks and 130 degree heat for 48 days straight across 900 miles of desert etc etc. that's the stuff that is entirely inappropriate and degrading to the folks who have given all or are currently serving.

2 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

its funny because I am doing my paperwork for my citizenship and the stuff we learn about american history nobody at my work or school knows/remembers.
    and as degsy very well said unfortunatelly most (younger) people dont know the meaning behind the holidays. for most people its an extra day, 4th of july is fireworks, memorial day is cookouts, thanksgiving is drinking.

0 Not allowed!

its funny because I am doing my paperwork for my citizenship and the stuff we learn about american history nobody at my work or school knows/remembers.
    and as degsy very well said unfortunatelly most (younger) people dont know the meaning behind the holidays. for most people its an extra day, 4th of july is fireworks, memorial day is cookouts, thanksgiving is drinking.
    I liked all the responses to this question and I think the bottom line is ask any true "American": new citizen, 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation or what ever they all love this country and give utmost respect and thanks to our service men and women. When you look at how young this country really is and what it has accomplished in that short time it is rather impressive. Skipping world war one just look at the debt of gratitude owed to America after WW2. Did we do what Hitler would have......No we stopped at Japan and said that's it game over!

0 Not allowed!
    508-653-8604 h 508-395-9812 c

Corrado Building & Remodeling, Inc.
    14-A Waushakum St
    Framingham, MA 01702
    508-875-6201
    www.cbrinc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted

I think it is also right to remember the real meaning behind the particular holiday also though, and It disappoints me to see exaggerated Facebook anecdotes about 150lb backpacks and 130 degree heat for 48 days straight across 900 miles of desert etc etc. that's the stuff that is entirely inappropriate and degrading to the folks who have given all or are currently serving.
    How is it degrading for people to recognize and thank the troops for what they have done/are doing? I spoke via satellite phone with my best friend (since kinder garden) from Afghanistan yesterday. I told him how hot it was here (low 90s), he said add 45 degrees to that and that's what they are dealing with in full gear and un-air conditioned humvees while probing transit routes for IEDs. I'm pretty fucking thankful that he's making that sacrifice so I don't have too. I currently have 3 friends and two family members deployed over there, so yup it hits close to home. Sorry if I'm getting a little heated about it quick.

its funny because I am doing my paperwork for my citizenship and the stuff we learn about american history nobody at my work or school knows/remembers.and as degsy very well said unfortunatelly most (younger) people dont know the meaning behind the holidays. for most people its an extra day, 4th of july is fireworks, memorial day is cookouts, thanksgiving is drinking.
    I would disagree with that sentiment, seems to me my generation (I'm mid-20's) have a very strong understanding of these holidays. We were right at that age where it hits home the most when 911 happened. And many of us know friends/siblings/family members in our age bracket deployed abroad.

Also - would probably be a wise idea for the European's here to say a thank-you to our troops as well. If it weren't for the sacrifice of US service men and women you would all be German right now...

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast