Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Anthony Bourdain

Re: Anthony Bourdain

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    This will be unpopular but

I am sorry that these people make this decision. Obviously it is wrong or bad, with the exception of the terminally ill.
    The media now has a field day eulogizing the person, WITH ZERO WTF

Please if you ever feel so , sad, desperate, discouraged that the thought of offing yourself come forward.

Basically you need help,, It will be messy but go to the ER and tell them that you are going to kill yourself

There is help, and tomorrow is another day with infinite possibilities.
    I have personal family experience taking someone to the ER with mental health regarding depression and self harm.

The response is often laughable at best, if it wasn't so god damn frustrating.

This is NOT an easy solution, and the healthcare industry is not prepared to address it correctly.

2 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Wonder how big of a part medication/self medication plays in this. Chris Cornell's wife had said that Chris had taken an extra doze of Anti Anxiety medication and was slurring his words before hanging himself.
    I believe we need to show compassion instead of rejection at some point in this discussion about mental health.
    About 22 veterans take their lives each day, as a society we need to address this on priority.

Found the article
    Chris Cornell's Wife Issues Statement - Rolling Stone

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Karate.Snoopy; 06-11-18 at 02:27 PM. Reason: found the article

I cant believe i agreed with something that rich said. but yeah i really dont give a fuck about celebrity deaths.

4 Not allowed!

Wish the 22 veteran suicides got the press the celebs get. Unless something good comes of it healthcare wise, why the various articles related to it that come about in relation to a celeb death. Announce what happened, importantly what the causes and perhaps missed signs were. I can't feel for celebs in the same light I can for a Boston Marathon victim, who loses a limb and then works to get back to as normal a life as possible, or to a vet who fights in some sand shit hole for who knows what in order to come back injured physically, mentally, or both.

To add humor to this, and its probably distasteful to add humor to this, I would like to see the Kardashian clan take a long walk off a short pier.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by backinthesaddle; 06-11-18 at 03:24 PM.
    2013 ZX6R-636

Celebrity or not, when someone decides they've had enough, there's not much else anyone can do.

Medication isn't always the solution and further, may well be the catalyst to making that choice in many cases.

There is no perfect answer.

0 Not allowed!

At some point, with regard to MANY issues including the theme of this thread, Americans will stop questioning the logic and fairness and benefit of what the mainstream media chooses to cover, and recognize that the mainstream media, by and large, donít exist to be logical, fair, or beneficial; they exist to make money, and reporting on a celebís death makes a lot more money than (even 22x as many, on that day) reporting on veterans.

See also: Immigration. Mass shootings. Celebrity rapists. Police brutality. Political bashing. ALL cash cows for media.

Bottom line: Walter Cronkite isnít comin thru that door, and ďthe mediaĒ isnít some white knight here to save the day. They are vultures.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Imbeek; 06-11-18 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    when someone decides they've had enough, there's not much else anyone can do.
    I've written and deleted a lot of replies to this thread, not ready to jump into this one. This right here is something that is worth commenting on.

This isn't something they decide one day and then just go do it. This isn't something brought on by an acute event that leaves them with nothing. Sure, it can be, but depression in a general sense is not triggered like this.

Its a struggle day in, day out and a lot of the times it comes in waves. Maybe a week at a time, maybe a day at a time, maybe a month at a time.

A lot of the times someone that is depressed cannot explain why they feel that way, they just do. It is not as simple as convincing them "they have something to live for." You can sit down and do a damn SWOT analysis with the person. They will likely agree with you and admit they are better off alive. It still isn't going to change how they feel.

The misconception that this is a "choice" is plain wrong.

I don't suffer from depression or addiction, but I've been privileged/cursed enough to have people close to me deal with both. I get how it is so easy just to write it off and blame the person struggling. Its hard to grasp when you are not the one going through it. It took a long time and a lot of conversation with those people for me to even start to get it. It is hard to get people to talk about it when it is put down so poorly in society. It is hard to believe anyone when you don't have a personal connection with them.

It is easier to "feel bad" for a veteran as you have reasoning to believe they went through physical hard times and cannot cope. It is hard to support a celebrity because you have reason to believe they did not go through physical hard times. What this reasoning leaves out is that the fact that they may not have ever had a choice in the first place.

5 Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 06-11-18 at 04:51 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post

To add humor to this, and its probably distasteful to add humor to this, I would like to see the Kardashian clan take a long walk off a short pier.

My money is on Robert De Niro switching off. Trump seems to have taken up residency in his small, uneducated mind and it’s killing him.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    My money is on Robert De Niro switching off. Trump seems to have taken up residency in his small, uneducated mind and it’s killing him.
    I’m calmer’n you are.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I’m calmer’n you are.
    “You talkin to me?”

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    This isn't something they decide one day and then just go do it.
    I'll be sure to inform my dead uncle of this after watching him struggle his entire life before he cashed in his chips.

I'll also inform the dead husband of a family friend who freaked out over a sprinkler after taking his meds and hung himself in their garage.

As someone who lives with depression, I'll stand by my statement.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    I'll be sure to inform my dead uncle of this after watching him struggle his entire life before he cashed in his chips.

I'll also inform the dead husband of a family friend who freaked out over a sprinkler after taking his meds and hung himself in their garage.

As someone who lives with depression, I'll stand by my statement.
    You can get as personal as you want. Just because YOU don’t have it to the point of taking your life doesn’t mean that others don’t.

0 Not allowed!
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

And what exactly would you tell them? That some dude on the internet has devoted time out of his life to understand an illness he doesn’t have and is supportive of them?

My sincerest apologies to anyone impacted by this topic, but I think you’re aggressively “coming after me” despite the fact I recognize the hardship and have attempted to relate to it as best as I can to help improve myself as a person and help those that are close to me.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 06-11-18 at 07:53 PM.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Yep, some dude on the internet with a dead uncle and a story.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    My money is on Robert De Niro switching off. Trump seems to have taken up residency in his small, uneducated mind and itís killing him.
    Maybe De Niro was just saying Focker.

0 Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

I didn't watch Bourdain but he apparently had quite a following, and it sucks to see good people go out like that.

Depression isn't just something you have. It's something that has you. It hijacks your brain. That person you know who has depression - it's not the person you know when a severe chemical imbalance rears its head. They likely barely know themselves. Depression usually travels with friends - paranoia, anxiety, and the rest of the gang. Hello, I hope you enjoy being a passenger on the nightmare express, will you make it to the next stop? Many people ride that train their entire lives; drugs, positive thinking and group hugs won't do a damn thing for them - all they can do is try to make it through each day. Unlike alcoholism or such problems, there is never a choice to reach for a bottle of liquor or pills, your brain just does whatever the fuck it wants.

It's indescribably hard when it takes a loved one, parent, family member, especially youth... infuriating to think they would do something so selfish. Chances are they hated themselves for doing it, but it's impossible for me to hate somebody forever for wanting the pain to end. Some stories just don't have a good ending, and it's up to the survivors to write the final chapter.

A bit of a rant, but after every publicized suicide there's this kneejerk reaction from some people that they "took the easy way out", and goddamnit that bothers me. We all see things through the lens of our own experience, we've all been sad or probably even depressed at some point and never went as far as committing suicide, but to presume that experience is anything akin to what someone experiencing a severe mental disorder goes through every day of their life is just plain boneheaded.

1 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Karate.Snoopy View Post
    Wonder how big of a part medication/self medication plays in this. Chris Cornell's wife had said that Chris had taken an extra doze of Anti Anxiety medication and was slurring his words before hanging himself.
    I believe we need to show compassion instead of rejection at some point in this discussion about mental health.
    About 22 veterans take their lives each day, as a society we need to address this on priority.

Found the article
    Chris Cornell's Wife Issues Statement - Rolling Stone
    Chicken-before-the-egg dilemma. I don't think it's a big leap to say that depression, suicide, and substance abuse have a strong and frequent relationship. Not sure you can attribute much blame to the drug of choice. And some people want to explain the 'voluntary' death as being something that's easier for them to understand. In that case, it much was almost spelled out: "What happened is inexplicable and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details. I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life."

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12