Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ants are moving in

Ants are moving in

Any idea why tiny black ants would suddenly and deliberately be moving their home from my garden area and into the eave/ soffit of my house?

As I type this, I have a line of ants that are travelling somewhere around 60' in total from my garden and apparently moving eggs into the front corner soffit area of my house. We have been finding these little guys here and there in the house the last few days and just recently noticed the effort the colony is executing on the exterior.

We turned the gardens a couple weeks ago however I don't see that as a significant factor in this.

I checked out the attic and can't really get into that corner without some effort. That said, no dead animals and no rotting wood and there have been no significant changes otherwise to the house, the ground or the gardens.

I suppose I'll get some perimeter spray for now but I'd like to understand more about why they are moving and give that some attention.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Ants are moving in

Ants like heat and moisture. Something your attic supplies . try this sorry cant get the link to work?? Try Terro.com there bait traps work great on Carpenter ants and they have stuff for the little ants your dealing with.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 06-02-18 at 07:43 AM.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

since I was a little kid EVERY summer my Dad has sprayed the perimeter of his foundation with Ant spray. he's never had an issue with ants.

I'd get some ant spray and spray your foundation and the ground in front of it (i think he does about 10-12 inches on the ground and 10-12 inches on the foundation)

It puts down a barrier they don't want to cross... Then i would spray that whole trail they're taking to the house and the location they're starting from too.

He use to have to mix it and put it in a lawn sprayer but I think you can buy it now all mixed with a sprayer built in. easy peasy

also a good article on ants here, looks like science has no idea why they move nest but it looks like all species of ants do this...

Ants Regularly Pack Up and Dig New Nests, and Nobody Knows Why | WIRED

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 06-02-18 at 09:26 AM.

High maintenance priss

Bergs - Can't help you for the "why" other than they are foraging looking for water. Maybe you disturbed a nest? You have timbers in the ground? Sounds like they are making a satellite nest. Make sure A/C drains, condensation sources, faucets, etc...are sorted.

This stuff is the -balls- for killing carpenter ants when there is a clear trail of entry. GL. Linky. Lay down 1" strips of the gel along their route.

I use this every year sprayed around the house. Seems to work. No ants inside.

Taurus SC Insecticide

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

i've been using this for the past three years on a recommendation from an exterminator. works insanely good for all sorts of pests including ants. i spray around the windows, deck and foundation. very easy to work with and lasts all summer.

Suspend SC Insecticide | DIY Pest Control Products - Fast, Free Shipping

Beta 200RR

We had a major problem last summer when one of my kids stashed a lollipop under the fridge. She had tossed it under there just right so it was positioned in a way where we couldn't see it until we moved the fridge. As a result, it took us a couple of days to find it and the ant problem got pretty bad in the meantime.

There were several ant trails through various parts of the first floor in the house. All eventually disappeared in the kitchen where we later realized they were passing under the cabinets to get to the fridge (which also contributed to the delay in discovering the lollipop).

We used some granular stuff that according to the package the ants take back to the colony where they all feed on it and die. It worked like magic as the ants disappeared even before we discovered the lolipop. Granted, had we not found it the problem would have persisted so you definitely want to find the core issue, but once you get that figured out I recommend the granular stuff you can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot.

http://www.terro.com/store/ants

Or just use Borax.

Bait them first... don't spray/kill them even though you'll be tempted too. After a week or so, then go ahead and perimeter spray.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Ants like heat and moisture. Something your attic supplies . try this sorry cant get the link to work?? Try Terro.com there bait traps work great on Carpenter ants and they have stuff for the little ants your dealing with.
    I have had really good luck with the Terro traps the last couple years and again this year. they do a great job of killing carpenter ants and also the stupid little brown ones to. Its a bait that kills the nest. only takes a week to stop seeing ants in my experience, hardest part is not killing them so they can bring the stuff back to the nest lol

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

We've always had good luck with the Terro too. As others point out though, don't let temptation to crush the little fuckers get to you. Give them time to take it back to the nest. After we have the Terro out for a couple weeks, I sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth around our foundation. Always have good results with that combo.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

less ants this year for me, probably cause the spearmint I transplanted a couple years ago is invasive and spreading

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Everybody to the limit!

I bough tthis stuff, it's worked very well:
    Amazon.com : FMC Talstar P Professional 96oz (3/4 gallon) : Home Pest Repellents : Garden & Outdoor

One bottle seems like it should be good for about a decade worth of ant genocide.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    http://www.terro.com/store/ants

Or just use Borax.

Bait them first... don't spray/kill them even though you'll be tempted too. After a week or so, then go ahead and perimeter spray.
    I put out that Terro stuff every year and it works like a charm. Never needed anything more harsh than that.

Use hardware store bait traps,, hide from pets

I do perimeter with home defense once a year

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die