Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone Ever Have...

Anyone Ever Have...

...a Volvo XC70 wagon or a H3? I know the H3's are fairly new to the market, but has anyone owned either of these or known someone who has? I'd like to hear some REAL reports from REAL people on these...

I've test driven both. We got me wife a Volvo a coupla years back and we absolutely love it. The wagon I test drove had one more cylinder than hers and a bit more ponies. Kinda pricey, but I liked it. And we've been treated very well by the local dealer...

We test rode the H3 and weren't overly impressed. Sure, it was fun as hell and left us giggling like schoolgirls for days. The inline five cylinder is way underpowered for a vehicle that size. However, the mileage isn't all that far off from the XC70 all-wheel drive wagon. In the class of vehicles I'm considering, the fun-factor with the H3 is unparalelled...

Both are priced about the same for what I want and both get 'okay' mileage. Not impressed with either warranty though...

The Wrangler is out. Not enough room for a family and a dog. Same goes for 4-door midsize pickups. A 6 cylinder Outback is far in the back of my mind only because of the way Subaru (corp) has treated me with the problems I've had with my current Outback...

I like the Honda Ridgeline (the Hondalanche) 'til I went down to test drive one. Took one look and said 'NO THANKS!'...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Anyone Ever Have...

We have a Trailblazer. No problems in 40K miles and a monster in the snow.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Lifer

Anyone Ever Have...

Yah.. my dad has a trailblazer... I'm not sure how many miles he's got on it, probably 50k or so, but it definitely hasn't had a single problem.

That I-6 in the trailblazer is sweet too... it's a nice truck.

We all love to bash Chevy's but my parents are Chevy freaks and everything they've had has been almost perfect...

Kind of weird that the H3 gets a wimpier engine then the Trailblazer.

Littering and........

Anyone Ever Have...

A good rule of thumb I've always followed is dont buy the first year of anything produced.

I'll bet that H3 turns out to be a maintenance/warranty nightmare, at least until they work the bugs out of it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Anyone Ever Have...

I know a few people who have the Volvo, they love them. We almost bought one but they wanted to rape us on our trade.

Gerard

Gerard

Everybody to the limit!

Anyone Ever Have...

Originally posted by GMAN226
    We almost bought one but they wanted to rape us on our trade.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what happened here...Damn volvo salesmen...

Dr Q : Last resort Medic Qfactor's Avatar

Anyone Ever Have...

I drove the Volvo xc70 wagon for 2 weeks.

It is a comfy car w/ lots of room inside. the volvo auto trannies aren't the best, and can be jerky at times, but nothing unbearable or abnormal.

I drove about 700mi of highway, a couple 100 mi of twisties and 50mi off-road (read trails and fields).

gas mileage is very decent for a car that heavy and high off the ground, was getting (22-28mpg average).

in the twisties, the car shows to be playfull once you figure out the delay in the tiptronic (not that long). The engine has enough power to push(and pull) the car out of an embarrassing understeer (caused by the soft big tires) and transform it into a graceful and fun 4wd power slide.

Off-road is where this wagon is both awesome and scary... it is awesome in the respect that it can tackle most rocky trails and muddy roads (even some river crossings, being careful about intake height). Tires are decent, but i would have preferred something more aggressive for the mud. It is scary because i foudn myself getting over confident w/ the off-road capability of the car (remember there is not 4wd low or locker), I ended up highsided on a rock !

I can't wait to get my hands on one again...

Q

"Ami blaireau, comme t'es nul au cronos..."

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."

Anyone Ever Have...

re: H3

How much room is there in the back of those things, like behind the rear seat? I've considered one, but that damn I-5... I've read of that powerplant having been designed for a turbo? That might help.

Volvos? They all seem to drift to the left, and squat there at 3 over the limit.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Dr Q : Last resort Medic Qfactor's Avatar

Anyone Ever Have...

enough to fit 3 adults in a row leaning against the back seat...

Q

"Ami blaireau, comme t'es nul au cronos..."

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Anyone Ever Have...

get an AUDI!!

H3= I-5= reskinned trailblazer with a colorado engine=
    but im not a big chevy fan

the XC doesnt look bad

but an Audi All-Road or S4

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Anyone Ever Have...

DON'T GET THE H3.......

Bras cause cancer.

Anyone Ever Have...

Tacoma Quad Cab

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Anyone Ever Have...

The Trailblazer is a piece of shit. Ranks right up there within the biggest pieces of shit I've ever owned. We have one for work and I HATE it. Drove it for the 4 weeks my Soob was in the shop and hated every minute of it. Headlights kept burning out, shitty mileage, got stuck TWICE (in 4 wheel drive) where the Soob had EASILY treaded in it's whimpy all-wheel drive, and it goes through tires like they're donuts, handles like shit, controls wearing out, so on and so on and so on...

I'll never own an Audi. PERIOD...

There's plenty of room in the H3 for the family and dog. And they're fun as hell. But as I said, the motor is way too not enough for a vehicle that size. It should have the small V8 in it. It'd probably actually get better mileage with it. But as Highsider said, it's a first year model. And I've played that game before and didn't make out to well...

We've been incredibly happy with Cheryl's Volvo. As of now, the XC wagon is in the forefront...

Then again, except for the maintenance issues with the Soob, I've been happy with it. But to Subaru's credit (and just as importantly Manchester Subaru), they've covered things when it was WAY outta warranty: tranny & front diff at 63,000; head gaskets at 65,000; head gaskets again at 107,000. The thing goes like a raped ape in the snow and is increbibly formidable off-road. I get almost 30 MPG and that's with some beefier all-terrain type tires. I hear the 6 cylinder they have in 'em rocks...

But again I ask:

...a Volvo XC70 wagon or a H3? I know the H3's are fairly new to the market, but has anyone owned either of these or known someone who has? I'd like to hear some REAL reports from REAL people on these...

Re: Anyone Ever Have...

Originally posted by Stoneman
    The Wrangler is out. Not enough room for a family and a dog. Same goes for 4-door midsize pickups.

Re: Re: Anyone Ever Have...

My bad.

Buddy of mine has a brand new X90 V8 Volvo. Thing cranks. Little $$$$ though I imagine.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Anyone Ever Have...

My sister has a trailblazer and has not had 1 single issue with it in 110k miles, not even a brake job yet

I think my truck would make a nice daily commuter for you, do you want to buy it

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Anyone Ever Have...

I think you're looking at apples vs. oranges. A volvo is a MUCH better engineered car than a "wannabe pimp ride H3." The H3 may have been "fun," but it's underpowered, and, uh....engineered by GM.

Everyone buys cars based on emotion. You have to let some logic in there, too. Volvos, are very solid built cars, have excellent interiors, safe, hold up better than domestics, and just so much more thought goes into those than a rebadged GM SUV.

I used to sell used cars. A domestic car with 100K on the clock usually felt "loose," and things were falling apart, where you could really feel the build quality in European cars. Even with higher miles, they can be very solid.

And highsider made a good point: avoid buying first year models. Unless it's a Toyota or Honda, that rule of thumb rings true more often than not.

"It is important never to forget where u all came from becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place de punani."
    -Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Just Registered

Anyone Ever Have...

I've seen some silly offroad kits for them thar XC's, but feel you'd be too victimized by pissed off motorcyclists who have mistaken you for the other volvo drivers out there.

That ridgeline is a fucking hideous truck though, no doubt. If you can get past that part - it suits the needs above better then the others on the list.

And I don't think you can hate a trailblazer but love an H3...it's like saying you hate the H2 but love the Tahoe isn't it?

I know someone that owned an XC, they complained it was a piece of shit and did not drive or handle properly at all. The other half of that useless nondescript tale is taht it was a woman, and I never pressed the conversation it just occured - but she did trade it for a Saab...so take that FWIW.

The plus side on Volvos is that if you get in good with your Ford parts guy he can get you hooked up when the time comes

edit: from owning GM company vehicles, and knowing a few people with various years of Volvo's - I'd drive a Volvo wagon before I'd drive an H3 if both were given to me.

If I was spending and looking for what you're after - I'd reconsider your beef with Subie as they seem to fit the bill perfectly. If it's more utility then speed/performance, never mind the weird lines and try a ridgeline.

Anyone Ever Have...

So let's recap here:

-I could give a flying fuck about Trailblazers, nor did I ask about 'em...

-A four door pick-up DOESN'T fit my needs, nor did I ask about 'em...

-I DID say the Volvo XC70 wagon was in the forefront, right? With the Soob a close second? Just wanna make sure *I* understand what *I* said...

Anyone Ever Have...

So let's recap here:

-I could give a flying fuck about Trailblazers, nor did I ask about 'em...

Hummer H3 is a Trailblazer reskinned except you can't get the big engine in a H3 yet I think.

Nathan

Lifer

Anyone Ever Have...

Slaps has a very good point. The two cars you're considering are completely different (H3 vs Volvo). The Volvo vs Soob is more of a comparison of similar car types. But, your question was for opinions on the H3 and the Volvo.

H3 - neat looking American made and engineered truck - uses the underpinnings from existing models, introduction year, typical American quality, expect to get 5 years out of it, long trips in it will feel like driving a truck.

Volvo - really safe, really comfortable, better performing, holds it's resale value better, designed in a part of the world where they get snow, so it will go through anything - and can be optioned out with some really neat features. Limited offroad capability, should still feel like a new car after 5 years.

Soob - comfortable, handles well, with the flat 6 gets up and goes pretty well, can be a little squirly at higher speeds, might get lost in a parking lot with all the others (at least in Vermont) - but they are popular for a reason.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Anyone Ever Have...

Originally posted by SSearchVT
    Slaps has a very good point. The two cars you're considering are completely different (H3 vs Volvo). The Volvo vs Soob is more of a comparison of similar car types. But, your question was for opinions on the H3 and the Volvo.
    DING! DING! DING! DING!

I'm fully aware of the differences in the Volvo & H3, thank you...

Anyone Ever Have...

Originally posted by lopycam
    Hummer H3 is a Trailblazer reskinned except you can't get the big engine in a H3 yet I think.

Nathan
    Go take each (Trailblazer/H3) for a test drive, then tell me they're the same thing. And I don't mean just a quick spin around the block...

It amazes me how many people are stuck on that. How many vehicles in the world share platforms with other vehicles now?

Re: Re: Re: Anyone Ever Have...

Originally posted by TheIglu
    My bad.

Buddy of mine has a brand new X90 V8 Volvo. Thing cranks. Little $$$$ though I imagine.
    We've test driven 2 different XC90's. The V8 is so far overpriced it's not funny. The twin turbo 6 cylinder was rather unimpressive, power-wise. Was extremely disappointed at how the 90 handled. The models we drove were 2005's, and we were a little let down and discouraged at the overall quality of the interior finish considering how much money they wanted for 'em. Volvo shoulda kept outta the SUV segment in my opinion...

Again though, that's not really relavent here...

Anyone Ever Have...

You need a Honda Odyssey minivan.

BMW R1200GS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast