Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Anyone Ever Have...

Anyone Ever Have...

Originally posted by Stoneman
    My primary concern is mileage. I do about 30,000 miles a year, and I tend to keep 'em for 4 years or so. Can a GM handle that? Based on experience, not on the original motors or trannys. But as I said, the Volvo's first in my mind at this point...
    You're worried about the GM engine lasting 120k miles? (30k per year for 4 years) If it doesn't last that small amount of miles, you clearly didn't take good care of it. Engine failures if faulty from the factory should/will happen in less than 10k miles. If it happens after that, blame it on abuse or lack of maintinance on the owners part. If your oil ever comes out black when you change it... here's your sign
    I have 100% faith in the GM driveline with proper care, most of my family runs GM vehicles and our company has a few GM trucks with over 300K on the original engines and transmissions. Little or no major problems with them. I had problems from the first day I bought one of my GM vehicles but I blame that totally on a incompetant dealer that failed to install the updated parts they were suposed to

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Anyone Ever Have...

Originally posted by RandyO
    who's got the popcorn
    what are you talkin about. its on topic. i suggested an Audi All Road and that is the new 06 A6

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Anyone Ever Have...

Originally posted by SVRACER01
    what are you talkin about. its on topic. i suggested an Audi All Road and that is the new 06 A6

Originally posted by Stoneman

Audi, BMW, Volkswagons are all never rans for me. Not interested in owning any of the above, nor will anyone in my family while we're sharing a roof...

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Re: Anyone Ever Have...

Deep necrothread.

We now have a 2006 Volvo XC70 wagon with 127,000 miles. This car was maintained by a highly regarded independent mechanic and we are getting full service records. I5 turbo engine with Aisin [Toyota transmission operation] 5 speed automatic and Haldex AWD system.

Put about a tank of fuel through it. Compared to our two Gen 3 Outback H6 wagons, it’s a little shorter, a little wider, a little squarer, and thus has a lot of usable floor space. Can’t find any rust on it at all.

Always wondered how well this AWD system works. As we have a field and a tractor, this winter we’ll be able to drive this around vs. the VTD drive system of the 6 cylinder Outbacks. Not that anyone is holding their breath over anything to do with 15yo cars.

It goes back to garage this week for new windshield, inspection etc.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

My neighbor has an older 850 turbo wagon, manual trans. It has 320k on it, looks like new. He said they can bury him in it. We've been shopping for a new car for my wife, the new Volvo interior is the best I've seen. I just worry about longevity.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

I had a 745, it was bulletproof driving and going down the road, I had issues with heated seats, electric windows, etc. wireing was scary, insulation crusty and hard & cracked, looked as if it was hit with UV, it was a tank in the snow

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Haha the 745, breadbox on wheels.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...t56-six-speed/

Got under this car and there was no corrosion to speak of and the Swedes have a reputation in industry for excellent corrosion protection. There is some human-caused paint damage but not a chip on the hood.

Hope MPG is as good as all the 4WD full size pickup owners get.....

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 10-13-20 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post

Got under this car and there was no corrosion to speak of and the Swedes have a reputation in industry for excellent corrosion protection. There is some human-caused paint damage but not a chip on the hood.

Did you buy that?! That car is sick!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

There's a handful of conversions like it out there. I believe at one point, there was even a relatively low-production aftermarket swap kit available.

nedirtriders.com

Took a drive this morning. Front tires have 6/32nd and because it hasn’t rained in a long time, the roads were slick. Two crashes going out Mass Pike. I sat in the RH lane. Not getting new tires until next week.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Did you buy that?! That car is sick!
    No, but RWD Volvo’s have enough room under the hood for anything...

Last edited by Garandman; 10-13-20 at 01:41 PM.

It's cool, but it's not 850 Turbo Estate BTCC cool:

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    We've been shopping for a new car for my wife, the new Volvo interior is the best I've seen. I just worry about longevity.
    My dad just got out of an XC60 crossover. Interior was a big sell for him. He had a lot of problems with that interior. The NAV and voice recognition were both garbage. He had some minor electronic gremlins.
    Also the SUV was much bigger than you might expect. It would only fit in his garage if he had the bumper pressed up against the wall. He made a bumper pad just for this purpose.

He did not learn his lesson as he traded it for a mini.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    My dad just got out of an XC60 crossover. Interior was a big sell for him. He had a lot of problems with that interior. The NAV and voice recognition were both garbage. He had some minor electronic gremlins.
    Also the SUV was much bigger than you might expect. It would only fit in his garage if he had the bumper pressed up against the wall. He made a bumper pad just for this purpose.

Good to know. I figured they were a bit on the finicky side and we've steered clear so far. But they are nice...

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

My 745, it was back in the '90's bought it as a beater car, had 250k, maybe 300k, I don't remember, leather was worn and splitting, at least one previous owner had dogs, the back seat was actually decent, having spent most, it not all its life folded down. It worked to toss my survey equipment in the back, I got a year and a couple months out if it, paid $300, passed inspection when I got it, but next time around, price of scrap metal actually got me more than I paid, I put 35k-40k on it, never changed the oil, probably added a quart or 2 along the way, Did I say it was a tank in the snow ? made me wonder why anyone would ever need 4wd (it had Hakks on it, and for the $300, it also came with an extra set of all seasons on wheels) How can you pass up a deal like that on a turd ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Posted on Wagon Mafia. Rimz are For Sale, FYI....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone Ever Have...-97e8bc6b-f489-4270-af22-2e0c9f5dbc1d  

Last edited by Garandman; 10-14-20 at 04:35 AM.

Posted on Wagon Mafia. Rimz are For Sale, FYI....
    How much for the inevitable steering wheel made out of chain?

After the election process, the things people do to cars are next in line for dismaying me about the future of the human race.

This XC70 could not be more stock. Assuming it comes out of mechanic inspection OK, only changes will be upgrading radio to support BlueTooth and backup cam, LED backup lights, and Nokian WRG4 tires in stock 16” size.

End of experiment.....

We took the car to our mechanics. We'd noticed a clank from the right front on changing from F to R and vice versa (never good); a code for low fuel pressure (which I'd reset, and recurred); vague steering after hitting a bump with the right wheel; and E-brake barely engaged.

One of the known trouble areas for these cars (and many others) is broken engine mounts. The top mount on this one was broken, causing another one to fail and causing the suspension problems. The car was going to need two axles and two lower control arms in addition to the engine mounts.

The low fuel pressure turned out to be the in-tank fuel pump. $340 part plus labor. Front struts and brakes were fine but full brakes needed in rear, and the rear shocks were original.

Bottom line is these cars are worth $2,000-$4,000 and the repairs were going to be over $3,000, and with the new tires $4,000 so it's going back for the original owner to deal with. And have a very serious discussion with his mechanic.

Posting Freak

I've had my 2003 XC70 for about 9 years now. Overall big fan of an all around car for the depreciated value and taught me to love Volvo's craftsmanship.

Over 230k on it now and it's obviously tired. Going through a full revamp right now of suspension front and back, just did the R brake swap and in process of putting R sway bars and 6spd R motor into it.

Overall, bought the thing for like $2000, 9 years ago, does everything I need and into it for probably $5k total after all these years of mandatory maintenance.

If you count optional things like R swap, wheels, intercooler upgrade etc. I'm into it for about $10k counting parts R car. It's still worth about $4 to $5k as it sits once swapped.

One thing I'm a big fan after coming from Subarus is how robust the bodies are from rust. Subarus you can maintain all you want but they just fall apart in NE.

While my cladding did hide a little bit of rust after 17 years of NE winters with no preventative work, it was minimal and again it will be covered by the cladding.

They do have a few known established small issues and a few small electrical gremlins but what modern car doesnt.

Sounds like you made a solid investment. Friends made fun of me for buying a brand new car for 15k back in 2000 and I ended up driving it for 12 years but euro cars scare the hell out of me.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Sounds like you made a solid investment. Friends made fun of me for buying a brand new car for 15k back in 2000 and I ended up driving it for 12 years but euro cars scare the hell out of me.
    I honestly wouldn't have ever bought it if not for one of my good friends being a certified Volvo mechanic. It doesn't solve problems but it gives a blanket of comfort/insurance having advice and guidance from him.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone Ever Have...-3dbrqrx-jpg  

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Vovchandr; 10-24-20 at 01:07 PM.

You could probably buy this one for $1,000 or less and it already has new tires.

We have a 2005 Outback 3.0R and the body is in perfect condition. We replaced some suspension parts but it spent five years on Martha’s Vineyard and the parts aren’t expensive. Subaru does not do as good a job with fasteners, wiring and the like, (Swedes are the best at that) but their AWD systems and trans are very good and they also don’t have $340 fuel pumps.

I liked the size of the car. A little shorter, little wider and little more boxy than Gen 3 Outback so there was noticeably more usable interior space. Ride was well controlled, steering is on the slow side but not bad. Performance and mpg with the low pressure turbo 5 was good.

Last edited by Garandman; 10-24-20 at 01:38 PM.

Posting Freak

You could probably buy this one for $1,000 or less and it already has new tires.

We have a 2005 Outback 3.0R and the body is in perfect condition. We replaced some suspension parts but it spent five years on Martha’s Vineyard and the parts aren’t expensive. Subaru does not do as good a job with fasteners, wiring and the like, (Swedes are the best at that) but their AWD systems and trans are very good and they also don’t have $340 fuel pumps.

I liked the size of the car. A little shorter, little wider and little more boxy than Gen 3 Outback so there was noticeably more usable interior space. Ride was well controlled, steering is on the slow side but not bad. Performance and mpg with the low pressure turbo 5 was good.
    Thanks but I already have one parts car for the XC besides the R and the wheels/tires size of the stock XC70 wheels won't clear the R calipers anyway.

My anecdote is that the 17 year old with 230k+ miles has it's issues but overall I'm quite happy with it after all the years. Happy with Volvos, SO is considering XC90 as her next car. Granted it will be a lot newer and a lot less miles. The new motor combinations of Turbo/ Turbo + Supercharger / Turbo + Supercharger + electric are suspicious.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123