Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Appliance shopping?

Appliance shopping?

I need to go appliance shopping next week, any suggestions on what to get? Looking for all energy star stuff and a brand that's gonna give me a lot of trouble free years. I need a fridge, dishwasher, electric range/oven, microhood, washer and electric dryer. I have no idea what to look for and hate to go at it with a sales person trying to make a sale
    Talk to me
    Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Appliance shopping?

don't be conerned so much with brand, many of them are made in the same factory, with a different nametag

I shopped around quite a bit, ended up negotiating a package deal at sears , I got a frigidare refrigerator, maytag dishwasher and kenmore stove for about $600 less than what the total advertised price would have been

when they were delivered, a scratch on the stove (where it wouldn't be seen once installed) got me a $75 gift card that I used toward my range hood

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Appliance shopping?

Home Depot customer service sucks balls. I won't be buying appliances there in the future. Fuck those assholes. Beyond that, I know nothing.

Appliance shopping?

I know two things about appliances:

1) The days of appliances lasting forever are over, they're all kinda junky now.
    2) Don't buy GE.

Randyo is correct that there are more brands than manufacturers. If you buy stuff from Sears you should find out who really made it. I think Whirlpool is the brand most repair guys respect most, but even their build quality has declined a lot in recent years (lots more plastic stuff inside).

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Appliance shopping?

This all really depends on how much money you want to spend. If you want to go high-budget, grab a subzero fridge and wolf gas range. Then you'll be pimpin.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Appliance shopping?

Lifer

Appliance shopping?

Gas stove tops are easier to cook with then electric. I've had good luck with Kenmore for my washer and dryer (14 years so far - 1 belt for the dryer), and GE for my appliances. I also bought relatively basic models with minimal bells and whistles to break.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

Appliance shopping?

Same advice as Randy...
    Check out Sears. When you are buying a number of appliances, you are pretty much guaranteed to get at least 20% off the total price. You can ask for more and see how willing they are to negotiate. Kenmore is a good brand and parts are easy to get.
    Don't go with the latest color of the week, they go out of style soon. Stick with almond or white.
    My personal opinion...don't get the fancy models with 18 different temperature settings and all that stuff. They're more expensive, more things to break, and if you are like me, you never use all the different settings.

Lifer

Appliance shopping?

As a side note - you've reached a critical point in your life...

You do realize that you're talking to people about the finer points of a dishwasher and not riding, bike parts, or gear?

When this hit home with me, I sat down, grabbed a beer and thought about it... Looks like I have to admit it - I'm a grownup. Damnit...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Appliance shopping?

I just got some Bosch appliances. A little pricey, but well worth the money. STAY AWAY FROM WHIRLPOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRAP!!!!!!

Mike 37

Appliance shopping?

This question is akin to 'what tires/oil' is the best...

Most appliances now are total crap. Go for bang-for-the-buck and get the best warranty you can included. Seems to be the only way to go nowadays...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Appliance shopping?

Quote Originally Posted by mmracer37 View Post
    I just got some Bosch appliances. A little pricey, but well worth the money. STAY AWAY FROM WHIRLPOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRAP!!!!!!
    +1

We gave away our 3 year old Fridgidair SS dishwasher that came with the house and got a brand new lower end (same internals on all of them) Bosch dishwasher from Sears with our LG TROM washer/dryer. HUGE recommendations on both the LG's and the Bosch.

For a stove, JennAir is pretty decent if you can swing it. I'm a cooking guy though, not your typical consumer. I would however urge you to reconsider gas. We got the bottles brought in for $170 and it should last us all year. Cooking it better, better control, broiling is WAY better, faster, etc. Plus when you put on your huge deck with nice big custom built grill you can have it piped in so there is not more lugging around bottles. AND a gas insert to a wood stove is a cheap backup heat source that requires no power unlike a pellet stove. Nevermind the ability to mack the bitties in front of a gas fireplace insert in your living room some day.....

We'll be in the market for a new fridge soon too, the LG french door with drawer freezer are peaking our interest.

We dealt with Sears of Rindge. They just are an appliance/tool store next door to Rindge Powersports (now a Husaberg dealer!). Good people, family owned, very honest and easy to deal with.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Dic on

Appliance shopping?

Quote Originally Posted by gョeg View Post
    Sears Outlet Fall River....
    really good stuff, cheap deals.
    +1. I buy all our stuff there.

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Appliance shopping?

Quote Originally Posted by gョeg View Post
    Sears Outlet Fall River....
    really good stuff, cheap deals.
    +1 and you can negotiate with them because they have more leverage and margin than the mall stores

Lifer

Appliance shopping?

Get ready for some fun if you deal with Sears. My story isn't an isolated case. Living in Rochester, NY moving to Ohio in a few weeks - ordered the washer and dryer in the Rochester Store, gave them the address in Ohio.

They gave me the delivery date - this came and went. The next day I called Sears national number. They say no one was home to accept the delivery. I was home all day, no call, no truck - sure enough, they tried to deliver it to my old apartment in Rochester.

Reschedule the order for the next Saturday (in Ohio). They show up at about 10:30 AM, hook it up, all is well. I sign the invoice, and send them on their way. 1:00 PM the same day another Sears delivery truck pulls up (different guys) and tries to drop off a second washer and dryer... I showed the guys the washer and dryer (and invoice) from the morning crew - they weren't surprised, it was the second time that week for them...

SSearchVT

Appliance shopping?

Look for the range with the highest wattage you can find. We got the cheapest one we could when we built our house and it takes forever to pre-heat.
    Don't get a glass top if you use cast iron pots and pans, it will scratch the ruin the top very quickly.
    refrigerator on top is a very nice thing, so you don't hurt your back going for the beers!

'04 600RR

Appliance shopping?

I actually forgot to recheck this after I posted it
    Thanks everyone for the replies and advice.
    So far I've looked at Sears, Lowes and home depot. Sears and Lowes blew home depot away by $2k on the prices...Lowes having the best prices of what I've looked at so far. Non of them will cut a good deal for buying all of them at once, home depot offered nothing, Lowes offered free delivery, Sears offered a delivery rebate.
    I'm gonna shop at one more appliance store before I buy to check on a package deal, but as of now I think I'm buying a couple things from Sears and a couple things from Lowes.
    Also spending the extra on energy star certified, especially the dishwasher and washer+dryer...standard washer is 40-50 gallons of water per load, the energy start with the same capacity uses 14 gallons. Having a well and septic system, it's a smart move

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Appliance shopping?

try a different Sears store

first one I went to local didn't offer anything

went to the one in Portsmouth, I got free delivery and reduced price

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject