Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Audi 2.0T owners here?? potential modding?

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Audi 2.0T owners here?? potential modding?

SO i've had my 2009 audi for 2 years now. bone stock basic trim

Looking to see what I can do with it
    Cold air intake? lowering springs/coilovers/larger wheels I'm a total beginner at modding a car

Id ideally like to minimiize the turbo lag I feel primarily. I "think" based on the threads i read on the audi sites that the lag isnt significant but I feel its.( wide's rdx throttle response is nstatn(v6) mine is definitely not
    Doesnt seem to be any 1 cure all for it, other than a "tune" it seems?

i'm new to the "tunes" language.
    All i've done to the audi is put on stiffer engine mounts which have helped tremendously in cornering/response.

Not looking to track this car but enjoy it on the work commute

PS i'm home recovering a from a hip replacement so i'm seeing how I can waste money thru amazon and what projects i can line up for this winter

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: Audi 2.0T owners here?? potential modding?

Massachusetts, in its infinite wisdom, is about to unleash its new vehicle inspection system specifically (right or wrong) to focus on things like ride heights and CAIs.

Massachusetts Car Enthusiasts Fear New Inspection Program - The Drive

Sigh.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

put a tuner on it and up the boost. You wont be disappointed.

I've had a lot of "fun" playing with my Audi's. Friend has done just about everything there is to do to his 2.0T A4(wheels, suspension, stage 3 turbo kit that I helped him install, etc). They become money pits very quickly and the more you play with it, the more often things seem to break, but I guess that's true with modifying any car.

For what it's worth, APR has partnered with VW/Audi to do flash tunes that don't void factory warranties, and you can get the flash done at participating dealerships.

tuner?? kit name? price? have a link?
    I searched a4 tune and first hit
    Audi A4 B8 2.0TSI ECU Upgrade Software - 2009-2013

stage 1+ might be it? would the boost be also done with this tune? Dont read it here

dont have to worry about factory warranty anymore an '09 with 135k

So no CAI....silly Mass... wonder what they'll do with my snorkel on my xterra?

hmmmm......

Modifying Audi's can be tricky business. Biggest thing i can say is dont try to be cheap. German cars destroy cheap components.

For performance I strongly recommend APR . They have a partnership with Audi and tend not to cause any issues. Some of the other companies can have funky check engine issues. You may be able to get away with an Exhaust too, i'm honestly not sure with the new inspection BS. I'm working in CT now so i'm out of the loop.

As for coil overs and wheels those will make a huge improvement aesthetically and handling wise. Just like I said early don't cheap out, get quality coils, wheels and tires.

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Id ideally like to minimiize the turbo lag I feel primarily. I "think" based on the threads i read on the audi sites that the lag isnt significant but I feel its.( wide's rdx throttle response is nstatn(v6) mine is definitely not
    I think what you might be perceiving as turbo lag is really throttle response. The turbo motor probably has lower compression and different cam tuning among other differences that ultimately affect the way your car feels the in the first moment you press the pedal.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by Danz19899 View Post
    Modifying Audi's can be tricky business. Biggest thing i can say is dont try to be cheap. German cars destroy cheap components.

For performance I strongly recommend APR . They have a partnership with Audi and tend not to cause any issues. Some of the other companies can have funky check engine issues. You may be able to get away with an Exhaust too, i'm honestly not sure with the new inspection BS. I'm working in CT now so i'm out of the loop.

As for coil overs and wheels those will make a huge improvement aesthetically and handling wise. Just like I said early don't cheap out, get quality coils, wheels and tires.

Hey Dan Side question.... do you have that site for the "audi rims" that arent $$$$$ OEM by chance?

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I think what you might be perceiving as turbo lag is really throttle response. The turbo motor probably has lower compression and different cam tuning among other differences that ultimately affect the way your car feels the in the first moment you press the pedal.
    Im pretty positive a tune will make him happy...

throw an APR program in that bitch and happy boosting

that's what i'm leaning too right now....

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Im pretty positive a tune will make him happy...

throw an APR program in that bitch and happy boosting
    Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    that's what i'm leaning too right now....
    What he said. If you're looking for a little extra you could throw on a AWE exhaust and intake, let her breathe a little more and get the stage 2 program. Really livens the thing up quite a bit.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I had (virtually) the same motor in my Jetta wagon. I left mine largely stock because I'd discovered track days and was largely feeding that addiction. I did a heavier sway bar and bilsteins (on stock springs). Left the motor alone.
    My cousin had a GTI and went bananas on it. 4-5 different sets of wheels. Adjustable coil-overs. "Dropped". Programmed. CAI. Exhaust.

For the most part we both found the cars easy to work on and mod. You will need special tools for everyfuckingthing though. Lots of "12 point" drive.

APR definitely seems like the way to go for a canned program.

Probably my favorite mod on the car was a kit to take some of the slop out of the cable operated shifter. Dunno if this is an issue with the longitudinal mounted A4. But the shifter in the transverse mount FWD cars was pretty vague. Someone sells a kit that takes out most of the rubber and plastic bushings and replaces with brass. Also reduces the throw just enough. That, plus a heavier weighted shift knob not made out of plastic, made the car much more satisfying to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

Probably my favorite mod on the car was a kit to take some of the slop out of the cable operated shifter. Dunno if this is an issue with the longitudinal mounted A4. But the shifter in the transverse mount FWD cars was pretty vague. Someone sells a kit that takes out most of the rubber and plastic bushings and replaces with brass. Also reduces the throw just enough. That, plus a heavier weighted shift knob not made out of plastic, made the car much more satisfying to drive.
    JHM is the way to go with Audi/VW if you're going to solve the shifter slop issue. Have driven cars with Neuspeed, ECS, and the JHM I had in my S4 was far and away superior. Well worth the money.

if you go with new wheels, make sure you choose ones that are lightweight, can really feel the difference.

i've been having fun tweaking my GTI (2.0T TSI). like these guys mentioned, some of the basics really up the fun factor ... so far i've done: Boomba short shifter (weighted knob next), Neuspeed Power Module (sweet boost for cheap, plug 'n play), AFE panel filter in stock box (open intake took power away from bottom), GFB DV+ diverter valve, BC adjustable coilovers and Neuspeed lightweight wheels (dropped ~10lbs per corner) ... car is a blast to drive. still tuning the suspension but moving to exhaust next.

i had the same goal as you, i rarely commute but when i do i'm in the car for hours. big smiles every drive ... and still use it to tow a dirt bike

Beta 200RR

"Tweaking" your car is a slippery slope..... ask me how I know