Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Auto Body Work

Posting Freak

Auto Body Work

Autobody repair quoting is a black art to me. I once got two quotes to repair my old truck, one was $600, the other was $2400 (I obviously went with the $2400 - insurance job).

Anyway, my truck has these two small paint chips on the rear fender and I want to get them fixed before the winter. I went to one shop and they said they would have to paint that whole side of the bed, which actually makes sense to me since color matching is probably hard. He initially said $700, and after seeing my shocked face he said $600. Then we talked for another 30 seconds and he said that if I got the "TRD" decals it could be done for $500 (apparently those stickers are $120 from the dealer (or $20 on eBay)). He said if I dropped it off early in the morning I could pick it up the next day - fast! It's B&J Auto Collision in Salem, MA if that makes a difference. They don't really have any online presence, but they share a parking lot (and seem to be connected to) these guys, who are pretty well-reviewed: Spinale Automotive - 14 Reviews - Auto Repair - 34 Bridge St, Salem, MA - Phone Number - Yelp

$500 still seems like a lot to me to fix about 1 square inch of paint, but it seems like a bargain when you consider they want to respray half of the truck. Should I go get a bunch more estimates? I don't really feel like spending a day driving around doing that. Or does $500 seem crazy-cheap, and like they'll do a shit job?

Like I said, it's a black art to me.

Crappy midnight picture:
    Auto Body Work-img_7029-jpg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Auto Body Work

For a truck, 10 bucks or so for a touch up paint bottle with brush. That way you could apply the balance of $490 towards hookers and blow.

(Or if you wanna be boring, the tires look more urgent)

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    For a truck, 10 bucks or so for a touch up paint bottle with brush. That way you could apply the balance of $490 towards hookers and blow.

(Or if you wanna be boring, the tires look more urgent)
    Dude, I know. Typically I'd agree, but this is the first halfway "nice" thing I've ever owned. Plus, I know if I let it go it'll be rotted to shit in 2 years.

Tires are in the works.

Ok...taking it from a less ball busting angle, the rest of the bed that is shown in the pic looks pretty scratched up too...is the rest of the truck like that? In other words, will a freshly painted area stick out like a sore thumb even with a perfect match to the original color, because it looks better than the rest of the truck? If so, the bottled touch up paint might actually attract LESS attention...if I'm a buyer and I spot a repainted side, Im probably going to assume the truck got smashed.

All kidding aside, if it was mine and I wanted it to look better for cheap, I'd get in touch with one of these sprayless dent puller/scratch fixer dudes. Every used car lot has one on speed dial, to make cars traded in look great for resale at very low expense. I bet one of those dudes could hook you up for under a hundred (maybe using some small brushes, but if it looks great when he's done, who cares!?)

As far as the rust, I'm not a body guy but it looks like the primer is still there so I don't know if rust is any more likely to set in there than it was before. It's a sore subject for me though, if my driveway was paved I'd have to sweep up parts of my 06 f250 every week from them flaking off the truck while parked. The driveway is stone, though, so the rust just flakes and flakes and blends in. My mechanic told me the only thing holding the bed on right now is weight and the gas tank filler tube (LOL!)

Last edited by Imbeek; 10-20-17 at 02:29 PM.

Posting Freak

Yeah that pic makes it look really shitty. Besides a few on the tailgate, there aren't any real dents or scratches.

Good call on the sprayless guys, hadn't thought about that.

Duplicolor.

Spend a few minutes prepping it and then wet sanding. It'll blend in plenty given all the other imperfections on your body.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Duplicolor.

Spend a few minutes prepping it and then wet sanding. It'll blend in plenty given all the other imperfections on your body.
    +1, prep it, and use a rattle can, if your concerned about color match, go to an automotive paint store, have them scan the area with a spectrometer, they can mix you up a can of perfectly matching paint and put it in a rattlecan

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

I've found those preval spray units work well for touch up paint. They seem to spray a little more paint than a rattle can and can blend easier.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Put a little POR 15 on it and then touch it up.