Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Auto Power Windows

Posting Freak

Auto Power Windows

Anybody know how an automatic power window switch works? I'm referring to those ones that have a dual action; one normal, and one that brings the window all the way up/down. My wife's Nissan has auto up/down and the auto up part stopped working the other day (normal up and auto down still work). It's probably the most minor problem you could imagine, but it's a nice creature comfort when pulling away from the drive thru and I'd like to fix it.

For what it's worth, it stopped working around the time it was really cold and at one point the windows were frozen up. Not sure if trying to open them could have cooked something.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Auto Power Windows

Knowing only a little about electronics, I'd say it simply just closes a contact between a power source and a microcontroller momentarily. When that microcontroller detects a voltage on that particular input (i.e. WINDOW_AUTO_UP) it will push voltage out an output continuously to drive the motor until it detects a certain impedence in the circuit, which means the window will not move any further and the motor is stopped, at which point the microcontroller then disables the output.

My assumption is that the switch itself is not involved in any of the logic, it's just a dumb 5 way switch.

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

These are tough to diagnose. Is the problem limited to one window or all of them that have automatic features?

Your first step may be to look at the owners manual and see if there is a sequence to disable/enable automatic windows. Most cars have one and the easiest step would be to disable and re-enable them.

After that, since auto down still works which suggests the microcontroller responsible for the auto window feature is still working, I would be looking at the switch. The second stage of the up direction may not be actuating correctly so the controller never gets the auto up command. Whether or not the switch or the related wires are accessible is another question that I can't answer. I haven't had occasion to take apart the window controls on any of my vehicles.

Since the auto down function is still operational, the computer involved is working properly.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

It is either the upper most detent of the switch or the de-activation switch on the mechanism (or most likely the board). Usually if the switch continues to put the window up when you hold it in the AUTO detent, it is probably the switch (board) on the mechanism in the door. Check the Youtube, someone usually has figured it out by now and thrown the fix up there. I've diagnosed every problem (they were limited though) with the Armada using Youtube.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Falko; 01-17-18 at 08:42 AM.
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    but it's a nice creature comfort when pulling away from the drive thru and I'd like to fix it.
    stop going thru drive ups

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    It is either the upper most detent of the switch or the de-activation switch on the mechanism (or most likely the board). Usually if the switch continues to put the window up when you hold it in the AUTO detent, it is probably the switch (board) on the mechanism in the door. Check the Youtube, someone usually has figured it out by now and thrown the fix up there. I've diagnosed every problem (they were limited though) with the Armada using Youtube.
    It does continue to put the window up if I hold it in auto, so if you're correct, sounds like a board problem.

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    These are tough to diagnose. Is the problem limited to one window or all of them that have automatic features?

Your first step may be to look at the owners manual and see if there is a sequence to disable/enable automatic windows. Most cars have one and the easiest step would be to disable and re-enable them.

After that, since auto down still works which suggests the microcontroller responsible for the auto window feature is still working, I would be looking at the switch. The second stage of the up direction may not be actuating correctly so the controller never gets the auto up command. Whether or not the switch or the related wires are accessible is another question that I can't answer. I haven't had occasion to take apart the window controls on any of my vehicles.

Since the auto down function is still operational, the computer involved is working properly.
    Only the one window has the auto features, but everything else works.

Would that really be in the owner's manual? I've never seen that in any I've looked at and can't imagine why you would disable it. Plus, you've still got the physical switch with multiple detents.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    stop going thru drive ups
    You first.

If it was that cold the battery may have been low enough that it lost its memory, to relearn is most likely lower window completely while still holding switch for a couple seconds after the window is completely open then do the same thing closing the window, that works for sunroofs that suddenly loose the automatic function too

Quick search on Nissan windows not working confirms what myzx6 stated. It could have lost its memory, this can also happen if the safety pressure is activated. Reset directions are supposedly in the manual.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by myzx6 View Post
    If it was that cold the battery may have been low enough that it lost its memory, to relearn is most likely lower window completely while still holding switch for a couple seconds after the window is completely open then do the same thing closing the window, that works for sunroofs that suddenly loose the automatic function too
    So you're saying:
    1) Car running (or just on?)
    2) Window all the way down, hold switch down for a few seconds
    3) Window all the way up, hold switch up for a few seconds

?

For whatever it's worth, the battery never died, but it got low enough that it was a little slow to crank once.

So you're saying:
    1) Car running (or just on?)
    2) Window all the way down, hold switch down for a few seconds
    3) Window all the way up, hold switch up for a few seconds

?

For whatever it's worth, the battery never died, but it got low enough that it was a little slow to crank once.
    On or running and the door probably has to be closed, start with the window up, hold the switch until it goes completely down and continue to hold it for a cpl more seconds, then do the same thing putting the window back up.

if you need to reset the auto up feature.

start car.
    hold window switch all the way down. count to 5
    hold up to raise window. count to 5
    repeat step 2
    repeat 3.

thank me later.
    please send beer to
    Infinti
    150 weston street
    hartford ct.

Would that really be in the owner's manual? I've never seen that in any I've looked at and can't imagine why you would disable it. Plus, you've still got the physical switch with multiple detents.
    Now that I'm looking, my 2008 Mazda 6 has the procedure in the manual but my wife's Nissan Armada's manual says to contact the dealer.

Here's a video for a Maxima that shows how to reset the auto-up functionality. It only takes a few seconds to try out.

And another one that's similar to the steps jhawley mentioned.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 01-17-18 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446
    ...and at one point the windows were frozen up...
    Besides a low battery, on some automatic window controls that have pinch detection the system will disable the auto-up functionality after a pinch is detected. A stuck window would trigger this necessitating a reset.

I don't remember if it was my Sentra or my Mazda6 which that happened periodically. Usually either holding the button up or holding it down for a few seconds reset it.

-Matt

What year and model of Nissan?

2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

now retired LLRS AM #642

Posting Freak

SUCCESS!!! Smooches to all of you

Anybody know how an automatic power window switch works? I'm referring to those ones that have a dual action; one normal, and one that brings the window all the way up/down. My wife's Nissan has auto up/down and the auto up part stopped working the other day (normal up and auto down still work). It's probably the most minor problem you could imagine, but it's a nice creature comfort when pulling away from the drive thru and I'd like to fix it.

For what it's worth, it stopped working around the time it was really cold and at one point the windows were frozen up. Not sure if trying to open them could have cooked something.
    Sometimes you can reset it on your own. Turn key on and hold the auto button down and back up , when it hits up still hold it for 5 seconds without letting the button go, sometimes you will hear a "Click" in the switch. Let me know . I have replaced windows for many years

EDIT: I didnt read all the posts but looks like you got it.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Glad you got it sorted out. I think you should start thinking about a new battery and/or invest in a jump pack (or some $300 jumper cables). One of these days the car is not going to start due to low voltage while cranking (or attempting to crank).

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Glad you got it sorted out. I think you should start thinking about a new battery and/or invest in a jump pack (or some $300 jumper cables). One of these days the car is not going to start due to low voltage while cranking (or attempting to crank).
    Yeah you're probably right. My initial reaction was going to be "I just put a new battery in!", but then I realized it was probably 5 years ago...

nria

I would bet it senses the amp loading of the motor to know if its blocked

Check for ice or dirt around and in the tracks, also a little
    smear of silicone spray might free it up*

I would spray a cloth and wipe the surface to coat them

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Check for ice or dirt around and in the tracks
    Did you miss this detail in the original post?

For what it's worth, it stopped working around the time it was really cold and at one point the windows were frozen up.