Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Best auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?

Best auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?

21 - 25 Honda Civic Acura 1.7 EL Front Lower Control Arm Replacement - YouTube

After a lot of thought, I think I'm getting myself over my head thinking I can do some of the repairs my car needs.

I've never been loyal to any one shop, partly because I've seldom needed any significant repairs. I've had my license for 16 years and have had 15 vehicles, and haven't put more than 60k on anyone except the Civic I currently have...

SO, I'm tempted to try to find out what shop has the lowest labor rate... but that might not be all telling if they take their time...

Any suggestions for reasonable shops? Good work, acceptable prices, etc?

As of right now, I'm thinking Service Plus in Dracut, or Cal's Corner in Derry...

0 Not allowed!

Re: Best auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?

Edit due to OP acting like a dink.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by butcher bergs; 05-04-16 at 05:46 AM.

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

Sergio's Auto repair in Manchester. He is Honda factory certified and very honest, always keeps the old part to show you how/why it failed. He normally uses Honda OEM replacement parts, but if budget is tight you can request aftermarket.
    sergio's auto repair - Google Search

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Trajiks9; 05-01-16 at 05:53 PM.
    🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

Asian Auto in Plaistow, NH. Mark has been working on my Hondas/Acuras for 10+ years and is very trustworthy. He always calls with the diagnosis and cost to get your approval before going forward with any work. There have been several times when I have brought a vehicle in thinking something major was wrong (and telling him that), and the fix turned out to be something relatively minor. A less honest mechanic could have taken me to the cleaners.

He even discouraged me from having him do certain work when my 2003 MDX tranny went (gotta love those early 2000 trannies), stating that he would have to be way more expensive than a dedicated tranny shop.

Asian Auto Services : Automotive Service and Maintenance in Plaistow, NH

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    So far of 7 shops I've called and been given quotes, Asian Auto is the second highest.
    You asked for the best shop, not the cheapest. They are different.

1 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

How do those shop services go?

Done right
    Done cheap
    Done on time

Pick two

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    You asked for the best shop, not the cheapest. They are different.
    And if you're implying that they are the best shop because they're price is high, then they aren't since I got a quote higher... thus the $800 quote is the "best" shop?

0 Not allowed!

CN: Bring the car by. Phone estimates are not reliable.

We have two Honda Accord company cars. One of them popped the front drive axle, a relatively common problem with cars over 125,000 miles. Our employee took it to a shop in NH that was really cheap.

I found out what corners were cut when the repair lasted less than 10,000 miles before failing again. We took it to our regular shop in MA, who charged me the regular price, and that axle replacement has lasted 70,000 miles so far.

Thanks for the tips on good shops in Manchvegas, we have a couple vehicles that live there.

1 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

I thought winter was over.

7 calls on a 400 repair, shops hate phone quotes.

Taking shots at members who offered helpful references.

Sheesh....

2 Not allowed!

Who knows, while they're on the phone tallying the quote, I've heard 2 hours, 3 hours, and 4 hours labor... they really shouldn't differ than much, which is irritating, but still.... all I said was the fact that out of 7 quotes, one was in the higher spectrum, hopefully helping other people who read this thread.

Since, I've heard back from an 8th shop, and they quoted me $85 cheaper than Asian auto Services.
    You are talking about a few hundred dollars and, just going on this thread, there are plenty of options as recommended by our peers.

How long would it take you to do this in your driveway? A week? 2 weeks?

Point is, you're squabbling about 80 bucks and a 2hr variance as quoted to you over the phone. My thought is to prepare for the highest dollar amount and longest labor time and appreciate anything that comes in lower than that once the job is complete.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    You are talking about a few hundred dollars and, just going on this thread, there are plenty of options as recommended by our peers.

How long would it take you to do this in your driveway? A week? 2 weeks?

Point is, you're squabbling about 80 bucks and a 2hr variance as quoted to you over the phone. My thought is to prepare for the highest dollar amount and longest labor time and appreciate anything that comes in lower than that once the job is complete.

I got 3 suggestions, one in Nashua which I'm choosing not to pursue, Sergio's never got back to me today, and Asian Auto was the highest. I'm not talking about an 80 buck variance, I'm talking about a $400 variance overall.

You're squabbling about me "squabbling" over 80 bucks. Feel better?

0 Not allowed!

Give Sergio a follow up call tomorrow.

0 Not allowed!
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

What kind of job are you requesting they do? If you're asking to replace ball joints, are they figuring on doing all 4 corners, when you mean 2? Or maybe the higher quote figures on doing brakes while they're in there?

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

I've never been loyal to any one shop... I've had my license for 16 years and have had 15 vehicles
    I think I've found the problem. Have any of the businesses mentioned they don't have time in the schedule for a new customer who is calling around looking for the lowest price and will likely not come back? This is a very busy time of year, and quoting a job without seeing the vehicle, I would err on the high side. Actually, I would not answer the phone, listen to the message, and then not call back, since I was busy taking care of my faithful customers.
    Auto repair is a relationship. It takes communication, trust, patience, and cooperation on both sides of the counter. The OP sounds to be more looking for a Craigslist NSA hookup, and is angry about being the bottom last time.

6 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

I think he's spot on.

What's impressive is how you asked for help, got it, then shit on anyone who took the time in the first place.

I'm sure you have some uber-witty response like "fuck off" all queued up so I'll just wait to see.....

0 Not allowed!

Any good shop charging fair prices is busy, as carsick said, they won't spend time on a phone quote, can smell someone fishing and if they respond will err on the high side.

You could get much more service with 2/3 in person visits, but it's pretty clear you know better and would rather bitch than learn something. 15 cars in 16 years, you're still a beginner, compared to many here. I'm well over double on both counts and the only way to consistently get things done well at fair prices is to build a relationship.

So go,ahead and bitch that no one returns calls, they are all trying to rip you off and you know better.

If my go to shop were in your area I would not pass their name onto you because I'd be worried that your douchieness would embarrass me to people I know and trust.

Good luck with that.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by SteveM; 05-04-16 at 05:30 AM.

I hope the rims don't get scratched. Jesus.

2 Not allowed!

This thread has been revealing about the op.
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

1 Not allowed!

Auto repair is a relationship. It takes communication, trust, patience, and cooperation on both sides of the counter. The OP sounds to be more looking for a Craigslist NSA hookup, and is angry about being the bottom last time.
    same goes for motorcycle repair as well

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Lifer

Am I the only one who thinks it shouldn't be rocket science to find out what a job's gonna cost? There's nothing wrong with asking. If he isn't a previously customer, or sounds like an asshole then certainly price accordingly. The responses haven't been the best though, and I get the concerns that maybe this really is a 'lowest bidder' routine.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks it shouldn't be rocket science to find out what a job's gonna cost?
    not rocket science, but quite often you cannot determine the total cost till the job is half done

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Wow carsick, you are so full of shit, it's actually impressive.
    When I was younger, I would have replied to this with my post secondary education credentials in the field of automotive repair, my ASE Master level certifications I've had for 22 years, my work experience, my credit score, my test results from the clinic, my perspective as a business owner (actually already did that), and maybe even how long it took me and how much I charged the last time I changed lower control arms on a Civic. However, I still have 4 jobs to complete today, so I'll sum it up by guessing that you're an askhole, things frequently go wrong when you deal with people, you don't trust them, and it's always their fault. Am I close?

6 Not allowed!

// Auto repair is a relationship. It takes communication, trust, patience, and cooperation on both sides of the counter. The OP sounds to be more looking for a Craigslist NSA hookup, and is angry about being the bottom last time.
    Most businesses are relationships.

I got advice long ago to ask if a prospective customer was "Just looking for the lowest price." And if they were, walk away. Because while you'd think those customers would be tolerant of any problems, they're the first to complain and the first to badmouth you on the web.

Many mechanics like cars and like their customers. I'm convinced you pay less in the long run by working with them.

1 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Did you end up getting your car repaired? Who was the lucky contestant?

1 Not allowed!
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast