Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Best auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?

Re: Best auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?

They make thread repair kits. Basically you drill out the old threads and thread in a bushing to get you back to the original thread size.

Call Valvoline and get them to repair it for you. That's exactly what they'll do. There's usually one guy in the shop whose job is basically to fix all the other monkey's mistakes.

You can also try a longer bolt. Maybe there are deeper threads that aren't stripped.

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by golden chicken; 03-13-18 at 03:56 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    They make thread repair kits. Basically you drill out the old threads and thread in a bushing to get you back to the original thread size.

Call Valvoline and get them to repair it for you. That's exactly what they'll do. There's usually one guy in the shop whose job is basically to fix all the other monkey's mistakes.

You can also try a longer bolt. Maybe there are deeper threads that aren't stripped.
    Right now it has a "temporary" plug, which sounds similar. They said it's a rubber bushing with a hex head bolt in it, but that they can't gaurantee it "especially with new england roads"... I don't know what they means, it's going to bounce out? But I will talk to Valvoline about the kit, thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

are those thread repair kits only a temporary fix?

0 Not allowed!

Sounds like they gave you one of these:

I mean one of these:

They are intended to be a permanent fix.

Admittedly, there is a bit of an art form to threading a steel bolt into an aluminum pan tight enough to crush an aluminum washer, but not so tight that you rip out the threads.

They also make something called an "oversize drain bolt" which basically is self-tapping, slightly larger. You can usually find them in the Help! section of your local auto parts store.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by golden chicken; 03-13-18 at 04:46 PM.

I don’t know what’s going on, valvoline said they don’t do thread repair kits, and another place said that. The oil pan in this civic is allegedly aluminum? Does that make sense or make a difference?

I just made an appt at Sullivan for a swat bat connect and ball joint... and when I was scheduling it they asked if I was using their parts or mine... I didn’t realize they did parts both ordered thru them, but apparently they do and don’t charge more for the labor (the only comparison I have to this sitch is bike shops charging more for online bought tires, so I assumed auto shops did the same), they just “won’t warranty the work”...

Which again sounds ghetto on my part, but it’s a 257k 13yo civic...

SO, I will pursue a thread repair again if it’s an option, but looks like most likely I will just order from rock auto and save 3 or 4 hundred on the part cost.

However, ofCOURSE rock auto has two options for my vtec engine, one for 138 which looks more oem, and another that specifies steel for much cheaper, like fifty bucks... can I switch and/or use the generic one?

I’m referencing the top and third items in the picBest auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?-ddb9b211-529e-48d1-91be-b2066d67be92

0 Not allowed!

Sounds like they gave you one of these:

I mean one of these:

They are intended to be a permanent fix.

Admittedly, there is a bit of an art form to threading a steel bolt into an aluminum pan tight enough to crush an aluminum washer, but not so tight that you rip out the threads.

They also make something called an "oversize drain bolt" which basically is self-tapping, slightly larger. You can usually find them in the Help! section of your local auto parts store.
    I’ll pursue this once more before giving into the pan.

0 Not allowed!

Can you get underneath and physically check to see if the pan in aluminum or steel? Should be easy to see the difference.

Based on the info you've posted, the pan for ~$62 seems to fit everything for your application.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...e,oil+pan,5562

0 Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Magnet will tell you really quickly if it is aluminum or steel. Highly doubt it would be stainless steel so a small magnet should stick right to it if it is steel. Not so much if aluminum.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS NV #300

Lifer

One more option for pan is to get a factory original from a salvage yard. Just make sure you know exactly what trim level and engine is in your car and be sure you're getting a part off a car of similar configuration. Otherwise you have to know which parts cross reference.

I think your problem with finding a shop to do the thread repair is that you're going to tire-n-lube shops. They aren't going to have as strong an experience in more complex fixes, nor will they want the risk of making it worse and not being able to give you the car back at the end of the day. Take it to a mechanic. Someone who is more general, not specializing in tires/alignments/oil changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I just made an appt at Sullivan for a swat bat connect and ball joint... and when I was scheduling it they asked if I was using their parts or mine... I didn’t realize they did parts both ordered thru them, but apparently they do and don’t charge more for the labor (the only comparison I have to this sitch is bike shops charging more for online bought tires, so I assumed auto shops did the same), they just “won’t warranty the work”...

Which again sounds ghetto on my part, but it’s a 257k 13yo civic...
    I don't think there's anything wrong with selecting your own parts, if that's what you mean. The benefit there is you can do your own research on which part is the ideal level of quality and price. Which is different for every person, and different for every part.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pan was aluminum. I'm not sure why this matters for the thread repair, but if I had to guess it's because they're more concerned that it will be soft and thus difficult to tap correctly. What made you believe the oil pan threads were bad? Just that it's leaking? Or did someone tell you they were bad?

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    One more option for pan is to get a factory original from a salvage yard. Just make sure you know exactly what trim level and engine is in your car and be sure you're getting a part off a car of similar configuration. Otherwise you have to know which parts cross reference.

I think your problem with finding a shop to do the thread repair is that you're going to tire-n-lube shops. They aren't going to have as strong an experience in more complex fixes, nor will they want the risk of making it worse and not being able to give you the car back at the end of the day. Take it to a mechanic. Someone who is more general, not specializing in tires/alignments/oil changes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with selecting your own parts, if that's what you mean. The benefit there is you can do your own research on which part is the ideal level of quality and price. Which is different for every person, and different for every part.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pan was aluminum. I'm not sure why this matters for the thread repair, but if I had to guess it's because they're more concerned that it will be soft and thus difficult to tap correctly. What made you believe the oil pan threads were bad? Just that it's leaking? Or did someone tell you they were bad?
    I had Sullivan tires put tires on and had them do an oil change while it was there and they said they had to use a temp. But valvoline usually does the oil

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

I had Sullivan tires put tires on and had them do an oil change while it was there and they said they had to use a temp.
    Was 'temp' supposed to be 'tap'? If so, it's not uncommon to use a tap to clean up dirty or slightly distorted threads. The act of using one doesn't necessarily mean the threads are notably damaged. Did they specifically say that the threads were damaged and the pan should be replaced and/or repair kit installed?

Also, worst case scenario someone really fucked up the threads. They put the bolt back in, but first covered it in RTV sealant as a hack-fix. If this is discovered during an oil change before you are ready to repair/replace the pan, you may not be able to drive the car until it is fixed. Plan accordingly.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

So, not that I want to continue this dumpster fire of a thread...

But also, for the record, I do have two solid shops... but one is in Dracut, and the other is the one in question now...

So, I ended up making an appointment to get my oil pan replaced because I had called around (I didn’t call this place that I’ve had work done before because, good for them, they typically schedule three weeks out) to ask about thread repair kits and no one said they do it.

So I finally hit the bullet and made a long term appt with this guy, and he quoted me $398 parts and labor with an aftermarket pan when Sullivan tire quoted me $800 with an OEM oil pan.

But when I got there to pick the car up he asked if the reason I wanted a new oil pan was because of the threads, which he assumed and he just took it upon himself to do a thread repair kit.

So instead of charging $398 for a pan he charged me $140 for an hour of labor an oil change and the thread repair kit.

Well, that was a couple weeks ago and here I am moving into my new house and parked the car in the garage (it previously was parked in a dirt driveway prior) and noticed a couple oil spots on the garage floor.

I pushed the car out of the garage in neutral and after a day I see about a two inch oil spot in my driveway.

I checked the oil in and out of the garage and it almost seems TOO full?! Well no, it is too full...

So, a good garage with good review that I have had work done before replaced the oil plug... they apparently filled it with too much oil, and now it’s dripping.

Why?

Is there some sort of safety that when you add too much oil it exits somehow?

Or are chances likely that the thread repair kit wasn’t a success?

It’s been driven 1000 miles sinc repair and hasn’t leaked out completely ...

0 Not allowed!

Possibly dripping from when the oil change was done (splashed onto frame or other area and now dripping out) or an unsuccessful repair or other mechanical failure (gasket or seal). It shouldn't leak even if it's slightly overfilled.

Some guys don't bother to look up a spec and just throw 4.5-5 quarts at a car and then check. If you do that to some cars, you could be over a quart overful.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by golden chicken; 07-21-18 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    Condoms? Only sailors use condoms.
    This is the least relevant, yet best comment in this thread.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    This is the least relevant, yet best comment in this thread.
    Yeaaaah I don't really "do" on topic.

0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Some guys don't bother to look up a spec and just throw 4.5-5 quarts at a car and then check. If you do that to some cars, you could be over a quart overful.
    Yup! The first oil change I had done on my 2008 Silverado outside of the freebie dealership "coupons" was at one such place. Meatheads just assumed it was the typical 5 quart jobbies, when it actually took 6 quarts. Didn't take long for the engine oil warning to come on!

Ferchrissakes, my new Silverado takes SEVEN & A HALF quarts! I'll be watching where I bring it for oil changes.

In fact, can anyone point me in the direction of the best & cheapest places in central NH for routine maintenance?

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

I pushed the car out of the garage in neutral and after a day I see about a two inch oil spot in my driveway.

I checked the oil in and out of the garage and it almost seems TOO full?! Well no, it is too full...

So, a good garage with good review that I have had work done before replaced the oil plug... they apparently filled it with too much oil, and now itís dripping.
    Exactly how much is it overfilled, and are you certain you were checking on level ground? If it's just a hair over the top mark, I wouldn't be too worried. If it's like an inch or more past the high mark, that might justify some concern.
    Is there some sort of safety that when you add too much oil it exits somehow?

Or are chances likely that the thread repair kit wasnít a success?

Itís been driven 1000 miles sinc repair and hasnít leaked out completely ...
    Generally speaking, no they don't have an intentional overfill exit path. However, substantial overfilling may result in new leaks. But you may be jumping the gun, this could be a completely unrelated thing. You need to get under the car, wipe the obvious oil with a rag so you can see where the oil is coming from.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Exactly how much is it overfilled, and are you certain you were checking on level ground? If it's just a hair over the top mark, I wouldn't be too worried. If it's like an inch or more past the high mark, that might justify some concern.

Generally speaking, no they don't have an intentional overfill exit path. However, substantial overfilling may result in new leaks. But you may be jumping the gun, this could be a completely unrelated thing. You need to get under the car, wipe the obvious oil with a rag so you can see where the oil is coming from.

I check it in my garage and it’s probably a quarter inch passed the top mark.

0 Not allowed!

I routinely dump in whatever amount when I do an oil change. Truck takes 10 qts, I just dump in 10 quarts. Car calls for 4.5 and I just dump in 5. Bike calls for 3.7 quarts and it gets 4 qts. Track car routinely gets 1 quart over at all times.

Point being, a little over isn't gonna do shit. The only problem comes when the sump is so full the crank starts aerating the oil.

Your "leakage" is most likely residual from the repair work making it's way down and will soon stop.

All that said there's other fluids that could be leaking from that car as well. The previous dirt driveway would have made little seepage less noticeable too. Are you positive it's engine oil?

Have you been under the car to identify the source at all? A quick look should tell you what's wet and you can trace the path to see if it's seeping down or it's a bad repair by the drain plug.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 07-23-18 at 06:50 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I routinely dump in whatever amount when I do an oil change. Truck takes 10 qts, I just dump in 10 quarts. Car calls for 4.5 and I just dump in 5. Bike calls for 3.7 quarts and it gets 4 qts. Track car routinely gets 1 quart over at all times.

Point being, a little over isn't gonna do shit. The only problem comes when the sump is so full the crank starts aerating the oil.

Your "leakage" is most likely residual from the repair work making it's way down and will soon stop.
    After like two weeks tho?

0 Not allowed!

I added a few things to my post. Is the leak getting better or worse too? If worse, definitley need to investigate source ASAP. If getting better, it's left over from the repair work and will stop eventually on it's own or after you clean it up better with rag. If it's staying the same, obviously not as urgent as getting worse.

Bottom line, someone needs to look under the car and ID the source. I haven't seen mention of anyone doing that yet, just noticing the drip and checking the oil level. The best intel is gonna come from below; the rest is just internet speculation.

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

If your car was leaking for a while before the fix, then there may be quite a bit of accumulation that is very slowly dripping down and can take a while.

But you should not assume that is the case, and need to identify the source. A spraycan of brakecleaner available at autoparts stores is a great way to quickly hose down some surfaces. Especially hard to reach spots. Just be careful about using it around plastics. Spray then wipe with papertowel/rag. It's not uncommon for a higher up leak to appear like it's coming from somewhere on the bottom of the engine, especially the drainplug, because it's usually the lowest point.

I wouldn't be worried about a quarter inch past full.

1 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Thanks, and yeah because of the old dirt driveway I don’t know when this could have started. We are in the middle of a move and my jack and stands are still in storage but I’ll try to get them out and get under it in the next day or two. But typically internet speculation is spot on

0 Not allowed!

Great Saturday.

About a year ago I was driving on 95 and all my dummy lights started coming on, the radio shut off, the dash lights were flickering and the tach needle dropped despite the engine revving and it ended up dying and having to be towed to stratham VIP where they diagnosed it as needing a new alternator.

This morning the exact same thing happened, conveniently just as I was pulling into the park and ride to meet a carpool for work.

I pulled in, shut the car off, tried it and it did one weak attempt to turn over. Tried it again and it just clicked.

It shouldnít be another alternator again right? Roughly 20k miles?

So now Iím thinking maybe a seized or tight pulley.

But being the weekend the two garages I do like are closed.

Iíll probably just end up towing it to a pep boys or something.

This ever happen to anyone so close together?

0 Not allowed!

20k is quick...but it’s all relative. What alternator was installed? What warranty was offered with it?

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Some aftermarket stuff is bad out of the box, so it could be the alternator again. A lot of remans aren't exactly high quality.

I doubt it's a tight pulley, that would squeal. A seized pulley would be a smoke show.

Easy enough to jump the car and put a meter on it to see if the alternator is charging.

1 Not allowed!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast