Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Best auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?

Re: Best auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?

They make thread repair kits. Basically you drill out the old threads and thread in a bushing to get you back to the original thread size.

Call Valvoline and get them to repair it for you. That's exactly what they'll do. There's usually one guy in the shop whose job is basically to fix all the other monkey's mistakes.

You can also try a longer bolt. Maybe there are deeper threads that aren't stripped.

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by golden chicken; 03-13-18 at 03:56 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    They make thread repair kits. Basically you drill out the old threads and thread in a bushing to get you back to the original thread size.

Call Valvoline and get them to repair it for you. That's exactly what they'll do. There's usually one guy in the shop whose job is basically to fix all the other monkey's mistakes.

You can also try a longer bolt. Maybe there are deeper threads that aren't stripped.
    Right now it has a "temporary" plug, which sounds similar. They said it's a rubber bushing with a hex head bolt in it, but that they can't gaurantee it "especially with new england roads"... I don't know what they means, it's going to bounce out? But I will talk to Valvoline about the kit, thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

are those thread repair kits only a temporary fix?

0 Not allowed!

Sounds like they gave you one of these:

I mean one of these:

They are intended to be a permanent fix.

Admittedly, there is a bit of an art form to threading a steel bolt into an aluminum pan tight enough to crush an aluminum washer, but not so tight that you rip out the threads.

They also make something called an "oversize drain bolt" which basically is self-tapping, slightly larger. You can usually find them in the Help! section of your local auto parts store.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by golden chicken; 03-13-18 at 04:46 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

I don’t know what’s going on, valvoline said they don’t do thread repair kits, and another place said that. The oil pan in this civic is allegedly aluminum? Does that make sense or make a difference?

I just made an appt at Sullivan for a swat bat connect and ball joint... and when I was scheduling it they asked if I was using their parts or mine... I didn’t realize they did parts both ordered thru them, but apparently they do and don’t charge more for the labor (the only comparison I have to this sitch is bike shops charging more for online bought tires, so I assumed auto shops did the same), they just “won’t warranty the work”...

Which again sounds ghetto on my part, but it’s a 257k 13yo civic...

SO, I will pursue a thread repair again if it’s an option, but looks like most likely I will just order from rock auto and save 3 or 4 hundred on the part cost.

However, ofCOURSE rock auto has two options for my vtec engine, one for 138 which looks more oem, and another that specifies steel for much cheaper, like fifty bucks... can I switch and/or use the generic one?

I’m referencing the top and third items in the picBest auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?-ddb9b211-529e-48d1-91be-b2066d67be92

0 Not allowed!

Sounds like they gave you one of these:

I mean one of these:

They are intended to be a permanent fix.

Admittedly, there is a bit of an art form to threading a steel bolt into an aluminum pan tight enough to crush an aluminum washer, but not so tight that you rip out the threads.

They also make something called an "oversize drain bolt" which basically is self-tapping, slightly larger. You can usually find them in the Help! section of your local auto parts store.
    I’ll pursue this once more before giving into the pan.

0 Not allowed!

Can you get underneath and physically check to see if the pan in aluminum or steel? Should be easy to see the difference.

Based on the info you've posted, the pan for ~$62 seems to fit everything for your application.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...e,oil+pan,5562

0 Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Magnet will tell you really quickly if it is aluminum or steel. Highly doubt it would be stainless steel so a small magnet should stick right to it if it is steel. Not so much if aluminum.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS NV #300

Lifer

One more option for pan is to get a factory original from a salvage yard. Just make sure you know exactly what trim level and engine is in your car and be sure you're getting a part off a car of similar configuration. Otherwise you have to know which parts cross reference.

I think your problem with finding a shop to do the thread repair is that you're going to tire-n-lube shops. They aren't going to have as strong an experience in more complex fixes, nor will they want the risk of making it worse and not being able to give you the car back at the end of the day. Take it to a mechanic. Someone who is more general, not specializing in tires/alignments/oil changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I just made an appt at Sullivan for a swat bat connect and ball joint... and when I was scheduling it they asked if I was using their parts or mine... I didn’t realize they did parts both ordered thru them, but apparently they do and don’t charge more for the labor (the only comparison I have to this sitch is bike shops charging more for online bought tires, so I assumed auto shops did the same), they just “won’t warranty the work”...

Which again sounds ghetto on my part, but it’s a 257k 13yo civic...
    I don't think there's anything wrong with selecting your own parts, if that's what you mean. The benefit there is you can do your own research on which part is the ideal level of quality and price. Which is different for every person, and different for every part.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pan was aluminum. I'm not sure why this matters for the thread repair, but if I had to guess it's because they're more concerned that it will be soft and thus difficult to tap correctly. What made you believe the oil pan threads were bad? Just that it's leaking? Or did someone tell you they were bad?

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    One more option for pan is to get a factory original from a salvage yard. Just make sure you know exactly what trim level and engine is in your car and be sure you're getting a part off a car of similar configuration. Otherwise you have to know which parts cross reference.

I think your problem with finding a shop to do the thread repair is that you're going to tire-n-lube shops. They aren't going to have as strong an experience in more complex fixes, nor will they want the risk of making it worse and not being able to give you the car back at the end of the day. Take it to a mechanic. Someone who is more general, not specializing in tires/alignments/oil changes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with selecting your own parts, if that's what you mean. The benefit there is you can do your own research on which part is the ideal level of quality and price. Which is different for every person, and different for every part.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pan was aluminum. I'm not sure why this matters for the thread repair, but if I had to guess it's because they're more concerned that it will be soft and thus difficult to tap correctly. What made you believe the oil pan threads were bad? Just that it's leaking? Or did someone tell you they were bad?
    I had Sullivan tires put tires on and had them do an oil change while it was there and they said they had to use a temp. But valvoline usually does the oil

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I had Sullivan tires put tires on and had them do an oil change while it was there and they said they had to use a temp.
    Was 'temp' supposed to be 'tap'? If so, it's not uncommon to use a tap to clean up dirty or slightly distorted threads. The act of using one doesn't necessarily mean the threads are notably damaged. Did they specifically say that the threads were damaged and the pan should be replaced and/or repair kit installed?

Also, worst case scenario someone really fucked up the threads. They put the bolt back in, but first covered it in RTV sealant as a hack-fix. If this is discovered during an oil change before you are ready to repair/replace the pan, you may not be able to drive the car until it is fixed. Plan accordingly.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234