Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Best auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?

Re: Best auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Some aftermarket stuff is bad out of the box, so it could be the alternator again. A lot of remans aren't exactly high quality.

I doubt it's a tight pulley, that would squeal. A seized pulley would be a smoke show.

Easy enough to jump the car and put a meter on it to see if the alternator is charging.
    So... after those morning shenanigans... eight hours later it tarted, seemed fine, and I drove it from Stoneham MA to Londonderry NH without incident, but still dropped it off at a mechanic to be checked out Monday morning.

Iím not sure about the alternator and warranty and donít really want to go back to VIP, I only ended up there because the car died close by.

After VIP installed the alternator the car would squeal mostly in the morning, which it never did before... and I never got that checked out. In the last couple days starting it in the morning it developed a whining sound that would increase as I gave it gas...

So, hopefully Monday it will be fixed, but Iím getting closer and closer to the give up point since itís at 263000 miles... I just really donít want a car payment!

0 Not allowed!

A squeal is indicative of the belt slipping. Either incorrect belt tension, contaminated (oil or coolant) belt, or worn out belt. Whirring/whining can be a bad bearing in a pulley or in the alternator, or low power steering fluid. All of these things are generally low-cost maintenance type of repairs, especially at your current mileage. Be sure they check your battery as well as your alternator, since it is hard on a new alternator if the battery is marginal.

1 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Lifer

Check the battery cables, and the cable off the alternator. A loose cable can cause it to act like something failed, but then suddenly it's fine a few minutes later.

Check the battery for a sticker indicating age. They don't always have one though.

Don't some of the Hondas use a manual belt tensioner? Make sure it's properly adjusted.

If the battery and cables are good, but the battery still occasionally goes dead while driving, get a voltmeter that plugs in to a 12V socket and keep an eye on it while driving. The alternator regulator could be failing but only under heavy load/heat etc.

1 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

battery cable connections should have a healthy dose of conductive grease

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Wow a lot of good information, thank you guys!

0 Not allowed!

Some aftermarket stuff is bad out of the box, so it could be the alternator again. A lot of remans aren't exactly high quality.

I doubt it's a tight pulley, that would squeal. A seized pulley would be a smoke show.

Easy enough to jump the car and put a meter on it to see if the alternator is charging.
    The garage I like that did the thread repair kit listened to what happened Saturday and said he felt strongly it is the alternator and that it should be under warranty and I should call VIP.

I drop it off at VIP... they check the alternator six times and say itís fine.

I have an appt with the garage I like Thursday for brakes, so maybe he can trouble shoot other things... but what, I donít know. Before I dropped it off at VIP the battery terminals seemed fine, now VIP says the alternator is fine... I guess just get a AAA membership and accept that this is what I get for trying to get much more than 263,000 miles?

0 Not allowed!
    Resident Askhole

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    A squeal is indicative of the belt slipping. Either incorrect belt tension, contaminated (oil or coolant) belt, or worn out belt. Whirring/whining can be a bad bearing in a pulley or in the alternator, or low power steering fluid. All of these things are generally low-cost maintenance type of repairs, especially at your current mileage. Be sure they check your battery as well as your alternator, since it is hard on a new alternator if the battery is marginal.
    The battery is roughly three years old. I looked for an indicator on top that I’ve seen on some batteries but there wasn’t one. For those issues to happen after forty minutes of driving on the highway would suggest it is not the battery right?

0 Not allowed!
    Resident Askhole

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    The battery is roughly three years old. I looked for an indicator on top that Iíve seen on some batteries but there wasnít one. For those issues to happen after forty minutes of driving on the highway would suggest it is not the battery right?
    A bad battery usually reveals itself in extreme cold, but sometimes in extreme heat. However, once the car is started and running, it's taking power off the alternator.

Was the car squealing when you pulled in to the parking lot as it died? I wonder if the belt was slipping a ton on the highway and you couldn't hear it. Seems unlikely though.

If everything's working fine, I'd get a voltmeter like one of these to keep an eye on it. It'll read a little lower than at the battery terminals themselves, but while driving you should see ~12.x-13.x volts, usually 13.4-ish depending on what accessories are on. It also should stay at about the same number throughout your drive. If it wanders up and down, the regulator is probably failing.
    I guess just get a AAA membership and accept that this is what I get for trying to get much more than 263,000 miles?
    You should probably get that regardless. Shit happens, even to new cars. Relatively inexpensive insurance compared to the cost a late night tow can be. Just be aware that sometimes the response time can be a couple hours. Sometimes 5 minutes. They act as a dispatch to other towing companies. Some are quicker than others.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

The battery is roughly three years old. I looked for an indicator on top that I’ve seen on some batteries but there wasn’t one. For those issues to happen after forty minutes of driving on the highway would suggest it is not the battery right?
    In my experience, that happens when the alternator isn't charging the battery. Eventually, the load from running the car off the battery will flatten it, and your car will stall and won't re-start without a jump.

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Is this fraying grounding wire a concern?Best auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?-14c7c1df-ca64-4dac-96eb-8ccee0182981

0 Not allowed!
    Resident Askhole

Is this fraying grounding wire a concern?Best auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?-14c7c1df-ca64-4dac-96eb-8ccee0182981
    I'd say that's pretty grungy. You can get a new universal ground strap for around $20 IIRC.

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

If you're trying to avoid replacing it, at least clean the contact points and use a multimeter to check that it's resistance (Ohms) isn't very high. The fraying looks to be just the shielding which big picture isn't too concerning, but the contact points look a bit crusty and looks like there's some corrosion where the cable matches with the ring connector.

It is probably not the source of any problems, but you still want to make sure it's functional.

1 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    If you're trying to avoid replacing it, at least clean the contact points and use a multimeter to check that it's resistance (Ohms) isn't very high. The fraying looks to be just the shielding which big picture isn't too concerning, but the contact points look a bit crusty and looks like there's some corrosion where the cable matches with the ring connector.

It is probably not the source of any problems, but you still want to make sure it's functional.
    Better off doing a voltage drop test across it. If all but one strand is connected, it'll ohm out 0 ohms, but it won't be able to carry enough current in a live circuit.

1 Not allowed!

Is there a known Jeep Wrangler tj issue of the reverse lights not working? This is the second time it’s happened on different wranglers.

Also, I did a quick search for a new fuse box housing because the fuse for the fog lights doesn’t seat properly, found one website selling for low $400s, does that sound right or is it possible to replace just one spot in the fuse box?

Shoulda listened to loudbeard

0 Not allowed!
    Resident Askhole

Thereís also a banging sound when I am backing up... that I can hear in the cab and a friend could hear outside the Jeep from like 20í away so this should be an interesting experience!

0 Not allowed!
    Resident Askhole

Did you ditch the civic for a TJ jeep?!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Did you ditch the civic for a TJ jeep?!
    Nope, I still have the civic as my daily (2004 with 265,5xx miles).

I felt like I probably should pick up another vehicle to take some of the strain off the civic and be a better option in winter.

I had a 00 4 cyl wrangler and an 03 6cyl wrangler previously.

0 Not allowed!
    Resident Askhole

Probably should’ve bought a first or second gen Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, or Subaru Forester but.. I really wanted another wranglerBest auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?-1e2b98e6-8bfc-4ce7-aae0-b6f1d57b9d21

0 Not allowed!
    Resident Askhole

funny story, i changed everything on my F250 this summer, alternator, pulley, ac comp, etc. The spinning part on the pulley came inside out from RockAuto. You would only notice side by side with the OEM. Put everything together and we got squeaky noise. Took it out, flipped it, put back in, it was good to go.

0 Not allowed!

Auto or manual? Manuals usually have a simple switch on the trans for reverse lights. Automatics can have them in a few places, like part of the shifter or part of the park/neutral safety switch I think.

0 Not allowed!

Manual. It’s already dropped off at a shop for repair. I just wanna get a sticker on it.

0 Not allowed!
    Resident Askhole

I bought a 2004 Jeep Wrangler that came with 31x10.5 tires on 15Ē wheels, and havenít had much driving time since it has needed a sensor... then electrical work... then exhaust work... and now Iím trying to figure out the root cause is something else.

So at first the road noise seemed excessive which I almost chalked up to the mud tread on the tires but it seemed to be louder on one corner than the others. Turns out that tire is noticeably chopped.

Iím having town fair do an alignment tomorrow which I hope is the reason for the tire being chopped, but also having them replace just the one chopped tire as opposed to sticking with a pair or four.

Hereís where the confusion is, I asked if they carry mud claws and they said the only mud claw they were familiar with is an Eldorado. So I accepted that nd scheduled the appointment. But now looking into it further they are different tread patterns, and if the tires stay in their current location t will be on the rear axle that they donít match.

The google machine, of course brings up differing opinions.

This all may be a moot point as quadratec is running a special, free mounting, balancing and shipping on wheel and tire packages, and regardless I would feel better having the alignment done tomorrow.

0 Not allowed!
    Resident Askhole

Best auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?-f2d67a71-4492-458f-8b3b-e3413a8847ecBest auto repair in So NH/NE Ma?-4be0a462-ba81-4452-99e2-51f956faea9d

0 Not allowed!
    Resident Askhole

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345