Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any autocross or HPDE guys here?

Any autocross or HPDE guys here?

Now that I have a car that's actually fun to drive, I'd like to do an AX or HPDE day or something.

Any of you guys into this sorta stuff?

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Re: Any autocross or HPDE guys here?

BMWCCA is a good track day club, theres a guy on here involved with it, they run at loudon. Auto-x is NER (new england regional) of scca. Porsche club I think does auto-x as well as SVT club, both allow all cars.

Auto-x is slow, cheap, easy, and low risk, track days are fast, expensive and high risk.

Both can be done with fresh brake fluid, good tires, and good brakes pads.

1 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by cdovego; 11-30-16 at 03:50 PM.
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

NE SVT club runs a good autox at Fort Devens in Mass. If you're looking to be competitive (i.e. actual vehicle classes), SCCA is probably your best bet.

I've only done the occasional autox since moving here, but I'd like to get on the track again, especially one of the newer ones like Palmer or Club Motorsports (Tamworth).

What's the opinion on Loudon? Judging by the one moto trackday I've done there, it doesn't look great for cars.

0 Not allowed!
    2004 SV650S

a buddy of mine, and old biz partner from back in the day, is a huge Porsche fanatic (has 4 or 5 now i think) and does a lot of events, auto-x, track days, etc.

he's based down in Cumberland, RI but i can connect you guys if you like?

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Loudon is loudon, the road course is okay. turn 12 is slightly different and thats it.

NER also auto-x's in the parking lot.

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Now that I have a car that's actually fun to drive, I'd like to do an AX or HPDE day or something.

Any of you guys into this sorta stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    BMWCCA is a good track day club, theres a guy on here involved with it, they run at loudon. Auto-x is NER (new england regional) of scca. Porsche club I think does auto-x as well as SVT club, both allow all cars.

Auto-x is slow, cheap, easy, and low risk, track days are fast, expensive and high risk.

Both can be done with fresh brake fluid, good tires, and good brakes pads.

I've been doing it in various forms since the late 90's. I mostly took the last couple of years off, but I'll be instructing again next year. I started auto crossing years ago and eventually morphed into just HPDE. HPDE is not expensive when you factor in what you pay for the driving time and/or instruction you get. If you autoX you might get a few minutes of drive time and stand around for hours. It's great for some basic car control stuff that you don't really want to experiment with on track, but I think the track is really where it's at. Higher intial cost, but better value.

For HPDE BMWCCA runs at Loudon, Canaan, Lime Rock, Palmer, Thompson (maybe) and Watkins Glenn to name a few local tracks. They will be running Club Motorsports in Tamworth as well. They also run a huge AutoX series at Devens. The instructor corp is developed and trained now and most of the "old guard legacy" have been weeded out. If you're looking for the best chance at instruction BMWCCA is the best bang for the buck.

COM and SCDA are also other local options. Sometimes you'll see the same instructors and sometimes it's like a box of chocolates. If you're looking to time trial and just drive the track they are good options. If you want more structured instruction BMWCCA is the way to go. We are much more safety oriented as well. That's not to say we're nazis or that there are never incidents but we run a tight ship. The shit show when something happens is not fun when lawyers get involved You can show up and ride with an instructor and check a day out anytime they're running an event too. I've scared a few people on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by curiouser View Post

What's the opinion on Loudon? Judging by the one moto trackday I've done there, it doesn't look great for cars.
    It's decent. It's very technical and doesn't have much flow compared to other tracks in the area. I enjoy driving it, especially when we run the oval.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 11-30-16 at 08:01 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

I haven't done any track days, bit I've done a few autocross days in the Loudon parking lot. Not much seat time for the day you put in, but the driving is fun and you can learn some stuff. The best part is the autocross guys have convinced themselves that autocrossing is the most serious form of racing to ever take place. They're a real spectacle.

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I've been doing it in various forms since the late 90's. I mostly took the last couple of years off, but I'll be instructing again next year. I started auto crossing years ago and eventually morphed into just HPDE. HPDE is not expensive when you factor in what you pay for the driving time and/or instruction you get. If you autoX you might get a few minutes of drive time and stand around for hours. It's great for some basic car control stuff that you don't really want to experiment with on track, but I think the track is really where it's at. Higher intial cost, but better value.

For HPDE BMWCCA runs at Loudon, Canaan, Lime Rock, Palmer, Thompson (maybe) and Watkins Glenn to name a few local tracks. They will be running Club Motorsports in Tamworth as well. They also run a huge AutoX series at Devens. The instructor corp is developed and trained now and most of the "old guard legacy" have been weeded out. If you're looking for the best chance at instruction BMWCCA is the best bang for the buck.

COM and SCDA are also other local options. Sometimes you'll see the same instructors and sometimes it's like a box of chocolates. If you're looking to time trial and just drive the track they are good options. If you want more structured instruction BMWCCA is the way to go. We are much more safety oriented as well. That's not to say we're nazis or that there are never incidents but we run a tight ship. The shit show when something happens is not fun when lawyers get involved You can show up and ride with an instructor and check a day out anytime they're running an event too. I've scared a few people on this forum

It's decent. It's very technical and doesn't have much flow compared to other tracks in the area. I enjoy driving it, especially when we run the oval.
    I always forget your username!

Ive heard the cost vs run time thing....

But an auto-x is like $35 with a membership, and you dont use much gas, meth, tires, or brake pads.

4 20 min track day sessions for $250 and I go through a few tanks of gas, a few tanks of meth, visible tire wear and measurable brake pad wear.

Id auto-x a whole season and use pocket money

a few track days is an investment!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I haven't done any track days, bit I've done a few autocross days in the Loudon parking lot. Not much seat time for the day you put in, but the driving is fun and you can learn some stuff. The best part is the autocross guys have convinced themselves that autocrossing is the most serious form of racing to ever take place. They're a real spectacle.
    LOVED auto-xing with cumberland motor club in Maine. Great group of guys, so much fun, the announcer talks trash, the start guy smiles at ya and says good luck, the finish line guy cheers you on for a good run. I somewhat dominated with the facemelter, and when I moved to Mass, I was pretty excited to run with the big boys in an SCCA chapter and get a challenge.... Talk about sucking every possible ounce of fun out of parking lot racing. I hated it, and didnt really do it after a few times.

You definitely make a good point.

CMC is highly recommended though!

0 Not allowed!

I always forget your username!

Ive heard the cost vs run time thing....

But an auto-x is like $35 with a membership, and you dont use much gas, meth, tires, or brake pads.

4 20 min track day sessions for $250 and I go through a few tanks of gas, a few tanks of meth, visible tire wear and measurable brake pad wear.

Id auto-x a whole season and use pocket money

a few track days is an investment!
    Your car is an animal though! A more normal car for someone just starting out won't have that kind of expense. A buddy and I both drove his new WRX this year and we went through a tank each person day.

I also got tired of the time investment with AutoX. A whole day for a few minutes of driving got old when I could spend hours out on the track or do other things.

It's a great option for a lot of people depending on what you're looking to get out of it. For some it's their whole world, which I find funny.

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Hey I got a 2000 328 CI.....any good Bimmer ECU guys or just a BMW head or Boards. I got a few Q's...

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Your car is an animal though! A more normal car for someone just starting out won't have that kind of expense. A buddy and I both drove his new WRX this year and we went through a tank each person day.

I also got tired of the time investment with AutoX. A whole day for a few minutes of driving got old when I could spend hours out on the track or do other things.

It's a great option for a lot of people depending on what you're looking to get out of it. For some it's their whole world, which I find funny.
    I think thats the difference between NER and CMC auto-x. At cmc, Id be busy all day socializing, watching, shagging cones, announcing, helping, etc. NER, you show up, do your run, then wait. Maybe do your part shagging cones one session, then wait more.

0 Not allowed!

What does shagging a cone mean?

0 Not allowed!

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    What does shagging a cone mean?
    working the course, everyone takes turns working, you can announce, start, finish, or stand out on the course and fix cones people hit and red flag if necessary. You usually get a pretty damn good view of the racing, but it can be toasty standing on black pavement in july with no shade sometimes. Or the times hwen you want to fix something or make an adjustment and you need to go work the course.

Think of it like a bike trackday where one of the sessions you arent running, you have to go flag.

1 Not allowed!

How insane is a 4,000lb 550hp 6spd for parking lot racing? Better off in a x-runner?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    How insane is a 4,000lb 550hp 6spd for parking lot racing? Better off in a x-runner?
    3,200 lbs bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its somewhat insane. First is too short to build full boost, second you hit full boost about the exact time you need to mash on the brakes. 3rd is SUPER rare.

2 Not allowed!

Autocrossing is like a bad handjob. Sure, it gets it done, but virtually any other sex is better. At least it's cheap.

(this coming from a motorcycle trackday guy)

2 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I like the "high speed" autoX at Devens run by various clubs. Usually a 1.1 to 1.3 mile course and you get 6-8 runs. Various clubs run them: most that I've gone to have been the SHO club but COM and BMWCCA and others all run the same basic format.

Years ago I competed pretty regularly in SCCA Solo I. Never placed higher than third in the class for the season. The SCCA courses are much shorter and more technical, but they cost more, you used to only get 3-4 runs, and the prep rules are very strict so my WRX would have been be competing against much more prepared cars just because of lower suspension reinforcement strut so haven't played.

Track days are more fun but a lot harder on the car. Used to do a lot of those as well but bike track days were more fun so the WRX has become a Boulevardier.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-02-16 at 01:29 PM.

Just did a track night at Palmer. Rain and thunder messed with the schedule but we got two 15 minute and two 20 minute sessions.

Events - Track Night in America

0 Not allowed!

Nice, I'm going to try making it to the one in July. Was it well run, despite the shifty weather?

0 Not allowed!
    2004 SV650S

My boss does track days with the Porsche club. Now that he's done a few, he's done beating on his 911 and bought a race prepped 818.
    He loves Palmer. He did one last year at Road Atlanta, obviously that is a pretty good one.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

I should auto-x the raptor...

3 Not allowed!

I should auto-x the raptor...
    I love the sound of the big meaty tires howling across pavement.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast