How bad can it possibly get????

Unhappy How bad can it possibly get????

Okay, I have a red 1994 Saturn SC2. Well, first off my radiator was replaced this past March. Just recently (a month) I noticed a slight leak coming from the bottom right side of the radiator. It was green so I knew that it was my coolant/antifreeze. So, I just added a little bit more in, but as the weeks went by, the leak got worse. Now, it's litterally two minutes and the coolant light starts flashing indicating that the coolant level is too low. By the way, I was told by my mechanic to just add water instead of coolant. Anyway, that's how bad it is now.

Second, this JUST started yesterday; during a huge thunderstorm along with heavy rainfall, I splashed through a huge puddle wetting my whole car, or so it seemed. Immediatly after that, my battery light comes on and stays on. I parked the car, let the storm pass, went outside again, started it, to see if it was just the water, and the light stayed on. Now, today, I wake up early, start the car and still, the battery light remains on. It was like this all day, as I drove it periodically here and there...not too much. However, I did bring my buddy home and showed him the light, and he told me it could be my alternator. I heard that once they go they go and there's no warning...it just one day stops. So I tell him that it shouldn't be that because it starts with no problem. BUT....you ready for this???? As I was driving home from his house my power windows were working a little slower so I turned off my system. My light was flashing, the battery light was on, AND get this, the ANTI-LOCK light was on as well. That light has NEVER come on in the whole year and a half I've owned it. What does that mean? my brakes felt fine. Then, I came to a red light, stopped (on a downward hill) then hit the gas, but it felt really really weak. Like the automatic transmission forgot to downshift into first gear. Then, all my power windows were really tough to get up and my sunroof the same. I dont know what it could be. Can anyone help me?

Thanks so much in advance,

Matt Z.

0 Not allowed!
    For those who hate on the V-Twin's power....

G O F U C K Y O U R S E L F !

PS : Check out my site for a few pics
    and info about my bike updated
    weekly. Ride safe!

www.angelfire.com/realm2/2001suzukisv650s

I don't know if you are Goofing on us or not....

1st problem, is that it's a Saturn..which is just a glorified Chevy/GM. It would be like if you bought a Honda....

Take the damn thing back to who ever did the radiator job, and tell them to fix it right, This is Of course, after you dry out all of your connections at the wiring harness, retighten your alternator belt......and.......

FUCK IT! JUNK IT, AND BUY A MOPAR!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

It's the alternator. It will run fine on just the battery for a while...then other lights and systems (abs...for example) will start to come on/stop working properly. The fact that your windows were hard to roll up means that the battery was getting weak. After all, a fuel injected car as a lot of electrical shit to run just to RUN...like the computer, injectors...etc. It is possible that it went when you hit the puddle...and it got wet. Think about how many amps that thing is generating (most stock alternators are enough to power a pretty sweet aftermarket stereo....)....and then picture dumping water into it. They're all opened up for cooling so there's nothing stopping water from getting in.

I've been down the alternator route six times ('88 chevy beretta....all on that same car!). You'd think GM would figure it out one of these days (ya...I say this as I'm driving a Chrysler, lol).

0 Not allowed!
    -Josh || Forum Rules || Stop. Think. Post.

"I brap with a clear conscience." - nhbubba

Oh yeah one more thing. I've seen an alternator belt get wet and slip..then when it dried up enough and caught...it threw the belt right off. Make sure the belt is still there before you get a new alternator.

0 Not allowed!
    -Josh || Forum Rules || Stop. Think. Post.

"I brap with a clear conscience." - nhbubba

....................... PinHead's Avatar

FUCK IT! JUNK IT, AND BUY A MOPAR!!!
    Bwwwwaaaaa hahahahahahahahaha MOPARS suck!!
    Stick with the GM, that was probably the first big problem the car has had since 94.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 BMW R 1200 GS
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    05 WR 250F
    98 KTM 200EXC

Awesome! Thanks, it doesn't sound too bad. My radiator is still under warranty so that's no problem. The alterator...now that shit is soooooo fucked up it's not even funny. My 83 Z28 had some probs a while back and it was a breeze moving it. It was just one little nut and it was given leeway to move to fix the belt. First of all, this Fuck-Shit Saturn's engine arrangements are all sideways, and second, there's like a million nuts that I THINK I'm going to have to loosen up just to finagle with it. But that you all for the input. I appreciate the fast replys. I'll post more about the results after I find out tomorrow. I have to drop it off to my mechanic at 8 am and pick it up after work around 6. Lemme tell ya, I am soooooooo thankful for my bike. If I didn't have it, I would be royaly fucked. Have a good one.

0 Not allowed!
    For those who hate on the V-Twin's power....

G O F U C K Y O U R S E L F !

PS : Check out my site for a few pics
    and info about my bike updated
    weekly. Ride safe!

www.angelfire.com/realm2/2001suzukisv650s

Originally posted by PinHead

Bwwwwaaaaa hahahahahahahahaha MOPARS suck!!
    Stick with the GM, that was probably the first big problem the car has had since 94.
    I disagree..

I had a 99 Dodge Dakota two cars ago, and my Mitsu is (technically a chrysler).. And as JC can attest to - I beat the HELL out of the Dakota just about every time I drove it. (JC, if you have some choice pics, this is a good time to post 'em)..

My Eclipse is also a Chrysler motor. I've run an 85 shot of nitrous on stock internals about 50 times, and a 150 shot on upgraded internals/clutch, but the stock transmission about 20 times. Not to mention that I've hammered this car around every corner imaginable, autocrossed it a dozen times, and done about 200 rollbacks in it - and it's still running fine.

When I buy a sportscar, I drive it like a sportscar. And technically, my car is a mopar product. So was my Dakota. And I've had ZERO problems with either.

So...

(Saturns still suck though.)

0 Not allowed!

Chris Q - 2007 R1
    Metalguitarist.org

Thumbs down all cars sux some more .

dont give a fuck what u say just cause you got a good 1 dont meen shit even losers get lucky bawaha gm charging sux all auto tranys sux new fucking cars got 2 much shit 2 go wrong .but i will say old cars sux 2 just easyer 2 fix and work on

0 Not allowed!
    www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.