Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Basement Waterproofing Options

Re: Basement Waterproofing Options

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I think both systems rely on any overflow to make its way into the drain in two ways.

1) Both systems shield the floor right at the seam of the foundation and the walls, and this is where 99% of the water is coming into my basement. They direct this water into the drain from the top.
    2) If the water table were to rise 3 feet up the walls and I had weeping all over, the waterproof covering would then direct the water into the drain from the top. Both systems cover the walls with waterproof material that integrates into the top of the drain.

System 1:

System 2:

I would not cover your walls with that plastic, the wall will be covered in mold within 6 months.

My house is 200 years old with an old stone foundation. When I moved in, it sounded like a waterfall in my basement every time it rained. At the time, I also had a dirt floor. Three things I did to solve my water issues...

1 I put gutters on my house to get most of the water away from the foundation. This made a huge difference.

2 I poured a concrete floor in the basement and left a channel about 4" around the exterior walls, the channels all taper to the lowest spot. I took a 5 gallon bucket, drilled a bunch of 1" holes in it and buried it flush with the floor at the lowest point. Filled the channel and around the bucket with crushed stone. Everything drains to the bucket. In my case, the water just soaks in the ground from the bucket, but the bucket is also perfect size for a sump pump.

3 I run a dehumidifier spring, summer and fall. Any water or moisture that comes in, is taken out with the dehumidifier. My dehumidifier also drains into the sump bucket, so I never have to drain it.

1 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I would not cover your walls with that plastic, the wall will be covered in mold within 6 months.

My house is 200 years old with an old stone foundation. When I moved in, it sounded like a waterfall in my basement every time it rained. At the time, I also had a dirt floor. Three things I did to solve my water issues...

1 I put gutters on my house to get most of the water away from the foundation. This made a huge difference.

2 I poured a concrete floor in the basement and left a channel about 4" around the exterior walls, the channels all taper to the lowest spot. I took a 5 gallon bucket, drilled a bunch of 1" holes in it and buried it flush with the floor at the lowest point. Filled the channel and around the bucket with crushed stone. Everything drains to the bucket. In my case, the water just soaks in the ground from the bucket, but the bucket is also perfect size for a sump pump.

3 I run a dehumidifier spring, summer and fall. Any water or moisture that comes in, is taken out with the dehumidifier. My dehumidifier also drains into the sump bucket, so I never have to drain it.
    Interesting point about mold.

Right now, I don't get any water on the walls. I did at one point have water enter in one small area of one wall where the foundation met the house framing. I added a gutter on that side of the house, repointed that portion of the wall, and resealed around my sliding door (not sure I had to, but it was in this area so why not) and it was never an issue again. Now, the only place I get water is when it comes up from the bottom when the water table raises.

I'll ask them about the risk of mold. Wondering if the covering is enough to suffocate growth.

0 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12