Bathch operation for pc files

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Bathch operation for pc files

At work I have 2,246 individual rich text format files that an alarm monitoring PC reads. When an alarm comes up, it accesses the .rtf file associated with the point and displays the text so we know what the alarm is. Unfortunately I've been tasked with increasing the font size....on every single one.

Anyone know of a way I could do this as a batch operation? I'm pretty positive I can export the files to do it on my own laptop, which would avoid our IT restrictions and let me use 3rd party software. None of the files are sensitive or secure, I'm not trying to be shady or anything. Just trying to make my life a little easier and not stare mindlessly into a monitor for hours on end while I click, highlight, increase, save, repeat for the next 12 hours.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 10-11-17 at 06:54 PM.

iTrader Score

Re: Bathch operation for pc files

If you can't find a solution then you could at least automate the process with a macro. Mouse Recorder can be run from a flash drive and perform any mouse or keyboard actions in whatever order you tell it.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks. I thought macros might be what I'm looking for but I have never used/ created one before if that's the right wording. I can use shift and highlight about 25 files which makes things significantly faster but still kinda a pain in the ass.

0 Not allowed!

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by audiojeff View Post
    Yeah, that's way better.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Awesome, if you just googled that, it makes me feel like an idiot but thanks anyways. I don't like searching for things that could look nefarious on our work machines. Right now I can open 15 files at once and do the rest with keyboard shortcuts which is decreasing my mouse work significantly and speeding things up.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer
    iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I don't like searching for things that could look nefarious on our work machines.
    If you're in charge of remotely IT-related tasks, no one should have a problem with you researching IT topics. Anyone with half a brain auditing your stuff will be able to see a clear distinction in what you're doing and something that is concerning. Just be mindful about what search results you visit. If your IT/Security group is run by a bunch of mall-cops, this might be a different story.

What application automatically loads the RTF? Does it just launch MSWord and open an RTF, or is the result embedded inside some application's inner window?

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

The file text and formatting is imbedded into a window that displays automatically when an alarm is received. It's a program called VeriFire. I am not in charge of any IT stuff, I'm just assigned with this task because in a department full of old stuffy guys I'm the "computer wiz". With keyboard shortcuts I've done 327 files since I posted this. But a lot of them need to be edited for content and formatting so it's really not as bad as I expected. Truthfully it's better a pair of human eyes see them verify everything is correct rather than running a script to just increase font size.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 10-11-17 at 09:39 PM.

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

If you zip the files all up, how big are they? You could send them to me and I can do it in about 30 seconds.

0 Not allowed!
    '00 Honda VFR 800, '01 Subaru Outback, '03 Porsche 911, '05 KTM 300 EXC, '08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, '14 Honda CRF 250R

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks for the offer. Like I mentioned earlier it's really more important to edit and review the information in these files rate than it is to just do formatting changes. When I started I didn't realize how out dated things were. So as much as it sucks, most files are being changed around once I open them.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Slightly off topic, but what a terrible system. Whatever hack designed that garbage should have his programmer status revoked.

1 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2014 Honda Grom

iTrader Score

If this is a dedicated machine you could use something like accessibility settings to increase the font size system-wide or for the specific app. No edits required...

0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    If this is a dedicated machine you could use something like accessibility settings to increase the font size system-wide or for the specific app. No edits required...
    Yeah we tried that. But between font size, the monitor being fixed and having it be mirrored to other monitors it didn't work well. It needs to be at like a 20 point for appear as 12 or 14 inside the program. Kinda hard to explain properly but I think the program scales the rtf file to a certain extent.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Slightly off topic, but what a terrible system. Whatever hack designed that garbage should have his programmer status revoked.
    Did you work on it or something?

0 Not allowed!