Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

need some bicycle help / suggestion for solving a problem

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

need some bicycle help / suggestion for solving a problem

So I know a decent amount about bikes (as in bicycles, the pedal kind).

I'm looking to get this new Electric bike tire called the Geo Orbital -->

they have 2 models that are both $1000, a 26" and a 700cc. The 700cc rim gets 1/3 more distance than the 26" tire due to rim size and the bigger battery its able to house :distance: 13/30 vs 20/50 miles (assisted/unassisted)

Now here's my issue, i can't see spending the same moneys on the smaller one but I only have mountain bike frames laying around,

If i put a road fork on one of these frames and I upgrade only the front to this bigger wheel size and keep that back a 26 inch tire will this cause me issues other than the... obvious the front will be a little higher than the back now

Thoughts on this solution... suggestions maybe for a bike with bigger tires for cheap.. maybe someone has something here used for me?

this is it, invented by some MIT guy, it's pretty sweet 0-20mph in 6-7 seconds has double the power of an Olympic cyclist or something like that. gonna be using it for cummuting.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: need some bicycle help / suggestion for solving a problem

The drop of the road forks is probably going to be different than your MTB forks, so your geometry is going to change in at least 2 places. In addition to the really weird handling that you're likely to get, you will also run into a problem fitting a proper set of brakes and levers. There are work arounds, but all will likely cost a little bit of money.

A little more predictable route will be to fit a 29" wheel front and back, and deal with the brakes and hub spacing, if your frame can fit the larger wheels.

Have you checked Craiglist for a cheap road bike?

BTW, I'm pretty sure the scooter they show in the video is a Kickbike City, and those are pretty cheap. CITY G4 - Kickbike America

I just ordered the bigger wheel.

Think i'm just gonna buy a new bike. I'm looking at this... any thoughts on Motobecanes?

I'm looking at this for a dedicated bike to put his thing on.

This one seems light and cheap and everything I need.. thoughts recommendations. anyone have any nice used 54cm bikes for sale

Save Up To 60% Off Road Bikes - Motobecane Mirage Tour

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 04-29-17 at 11:18 AM.

This actually measures to 55cm, despite what lynskey says. It's very nice.
    Lynskey titanium road bicycle sz54

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Thanks but that about 2/3rd more than my price range.

Believe me, I'd love a nice titanium framed bike but I just bought the wheel for a g-note and my total budge for bike and wheel is the price of your bike.

What do people think about the Motobecane bike I posted, this is basically what Im looking for just wondering is anyone has something similar (IE a Hybrid city type bike at least 8 gears as I like the idea of just having one gear shifter)

I'd say get the 700c if only for the narrower higher pressure tires which will be faster. There are only a couple 26" tires I can think of that are slicks and even then are an inch wide. At the price of those Motobecanes you can hit a Trek or Specialized store and get a Trek FX series or Specialized Sirrus series, both hybrids and both still offer models with rim brakes. Similar if not a little better quality than the Motobecane, but having a local dealer whom you bought the bike from can be helpful.

took your advice and bought a Cannondale Quick 4 tonight. Hopefully picking it up Friday.

Glad I went out to ride them before I bought one as I was going to order a Medium frame but it felt really small so I went with the Large frame instead

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 05-16-17 at 12:55 AM.

That's a pretty cool invention. Not much for exercise, but pretty cool.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

A shop in new haven has one of these and the owner was not impressed. I'll get more from him on that later.

As for twice the power of an Olympic athlete. Not even close. Tour riders hit 1500 watts. Olympic sprinters even more. This is rated at 500.

Anyway get 700 if you do. It will be compatible with way more options.

Really like seeing people do stuff like this. Commendable

Last edited by motoarch; 05-16-17 at 10:28 AM.

yeah, i'm not expecting it to be like a moped, Right now i'm riding 20 miles a day round trip from Cambridge to West Medford station, then from the train station in Wilmington to Tewksbury.

I have a physical job but I really like the commute better on bike/train (30 mins less) than driving all the way up there fighting traffic and school buses. Unfortunately by the end of the week the extra effort of riding is making me too exhausted. I'm hoping this will just make the ride less physical, instead of peddling my ass off everyday I can just pleasurably chill and enjoy the bike ride more ... especially on those days that my job is overly physical.

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 05-16-17 at 10:16 PM.

Hypertarded

Hey any update, did you ever get this bike built?? Curious how it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    ... especially on those days that my job is overly physical.
    Or until they replace you with robots..... It's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    Hey any update, did you ever get this bike built?? Curious how it worked out.
    Yes, it's build and it's great! I ride it almost everyday to the train then to work charge it at work then ride it back. It goes 21mph with very little peddling up hill more like 18mph. I've ridden through torrential downpours and rode it through huge puddles and it works great. Only one issues I had with the wheel was a battery and after an e-mail and picture A guy from the company came and picked it up and gave me a new one because I'm so close to their office.

Not that I bought it for time saving but one leg of my ride is catching the train in the morning and mornings are not my strong suit. It's cut my 17 min ride which I would pedal hard and sweat a lot down to an easy 13 min ride with no sweating... gives me 5 more min in the morning to drink coffee and poop.

Furthest I've rode it on one charge is 16 miles. If you commute on a bike and it's not for exercise but for convenience I'd highly recommend one.

Also glad I went with a new bike, the Cannondale is perfect, I ended up with a medium though. After adjusting the seat and handle bars the medium was perfect after it originally felt small

need some bicycle help / suggestion for solving a problem-20170703_014209-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by scubasteveRR; 11-16-17 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    Or until they replace you with robots..... It's coming.
    soon... but not landscape irrigation. mostly truckers and drivers which makes up a majority of the US workforce

Exclusive: Tesla developing self-driving tech for semi-truck, wants to test in Nevada | Reuters

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 11-16-17 at 04:00 PM.