Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

BMW cars

Re: BMW cars

Teenage boys?

Yeah, the more HP, the better.

Said no one ever. Lol.

I'd rock the beige and get a 4Cyl stripper Camry.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

FWD Camry with snow tires!

Actually I found Camry's were fun to drive....felt super light and everything always worked on them

How about a Lexus es300 (not sure if they are more or less reliable as a lexus)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Camry's are NOT fun to drive by any stretch of the imagination. They take a beating, and the newer ones don't suck, but fun they are still not.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Much appreciated for all of the input. Sounds like a BMW is not for me, I don't want to be fucking with it all the time or hemorrhaging cash on it.

We're in central Maine, so I'd like them to have AWD or FWD at minimum. My original target was a RAV4 or CR-V, those didn't seem to spark much interest from my guys. The Subaru's mentioned seem like nice vehicles, I know zero about them. I may look into a Maxima or similar.

Open to any suggestions on what anyone here would buy in my situation. Thanks!
    Maximas are going to have automatic transmission failures.

If you are looking for information on Subaru, I'd be happy to answer your questions. I have had very good luck with numerous models I've owned that used the 2.0t, the 2.5t and the 2.5na engines. Mrs. Bergs just traded in her 2009 Legacy 2.5i that clocked 200,000. It needed the normal service items (t-belt, brakes, tires, etc) during its lifetime and the only real repairs to that car was a passenger front wheel bearing and a round of struts. Obviously they are not perfect vehicles and there are folks out there that will never own another one......which is something that can be said about any auto manufacturer...but for me, they have been great.

FWIW, my nephew picked up a 2006 Scion TC for a hair over 3k. You get Toyota reliability and parts for those cars are unbelievably cheap. Good first car in my book.

Lifer

my e46 m3 was simply the worst car I ever owned. subaru for the win. I thought they were a state requirement in Maine anyway.

Corolla with a manual. IMO forcing a kid to learn on something with a clutch makes them a more engaged driver, less likely to text and drive and generally screw off. They won't toss the keys to their idiot friends as their idiot friends are statistically unlikely to be able to drive stick. And the MT is a natural, built in theft deterrent these days. Tons of MT Corollas out there. They are cockroaches (impossible to kill). Relatively safe. Actually almost sort of maybe sometimes barely fun to drive. Interiors are abuse resistant. Tires are cheap. Yadda yadda.

Wifey has a '10 Corolla S. My biggest objections to the car are the road noise and sparse interior. Neither are complaints a teenage should giveadamn about.

Maybe a Civic or Fit, also with the manual. Although I'd go Toyota over Honda as IMO the Honda has more of a racer boy thing going for it. Toyota is just beige.

Last edited by nhbubba; 10-05-17 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Camry's are NOT fun to drive by any stretch of the imagination. They take a beating, and the newer ones don't suck, but fun they are still not.
    Infinitely more fun to drive than a roundel that sits there broken.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Infinitely more fun to drive than a roundel that sits there broken.
    Having been in that position I still disagree

2012 Tiger 800 XC

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Normally aspirated Subaru as long as there is not any huge rust issues with the car. Being from Maine I am sure there are a few that have been eaten by deicing materials out there for sale.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    The cooling system is too, because they make the radiator end-tanks out of plastic.
    Are there cars out there today not using plastic endtanks?

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Much appreciated for all of the input. Sounds like a BMW is not for me, I don't want to be fucking with it all the time or hemorrhaging cash on it.

We're in central Maine, so I'd like them to have AWD or FWD at minimum. My original target was a RAV4 or CR-V, those didn't seem to spark much interest from my guys. The Subaru's mentioned seem like nice vehicles, I know zero about them. I may look into a Maxima or similar.

Open to any suggestions on what anyone here would buy in my situation. Thanks!
    I recently heard the CR-V called 'the car for people who hate cars'

Older subarus are infamous for headgasket failures. I forget when they finally fixed that problem - surely someone here knows.

RWD + snow tires is fine if they're willing to learn how to drive unless you guys deal with a lot of steep climbs.

Some Infiniti G35's might be in the same price range as the 5-series. Kinda the same ballpark too if you're looking to get something a little more interesting than a CR-V.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post

Older subarus are infamous for headgasket failures. I forget when they finally fixed that problem - surely someone here knows.
    Still hadn't been fixed by 2007.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Lifer

I have had two BMW's, both 3 series. My current 335xi I bought used 5.5 years ago. I don't drive much because I prefer to ride :-)
    It's the best driving car! Our other car is a GTI. The driving dynamic, feel and steering are hard to imitate (at least on the older ones). That being said, you do need a decent income to maintain them. I do once a year maintenance at an Indy shop which works well for me. If I was in college or right after college I would be concerned. That being said, I had a 1993 318is which I sold with 170k miles (owned for 4 years - bought with 115k miles) and it was reliable.

Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

Older Civic, Accord, focus, carolla, Camry, etc ftw with a stick.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Hypertarded

well if we're off BMWs, then 'Busa

as other have already mentioned, i'd go subaru as well, and either manual or an upper model 4spXT / 5sp auto. In my experience the AWD in the basic 4sp automatic cars is "weak" at best as far as AWD goes.

They have at least 3 AWD/diff versions(in pre CVT models), manual is 50/50, basic 4sp auto is FWD until slip detected and the detection/Diff. is the "weak" spot(in my humble exp.), outback/legacy 5sp & Forester XT /WRX 4SP models have a better AWD diff system.

Teenage boys? Grand Caravan...or Sienna if AWD is a must.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Teenage boys? Grand Caravan...or Sienna if AWD is a must.
    Removable seats and all that space. What to do, what to do....

Last edited by e30addict; 10-06-17 at 11:53 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    You can get a REALLY nice bmw a few years old for quite cheap... I wonder why that is?
    If you go to Edmunds.com, they can give you a calculated five year “True Cost of Ownership,” for most recent used cars. It makes some assumptions for things like yearly miles, but the assumptions are consistent.

We used it when buying fleet cars and found it useful. It would be less useful on this forum, though, where people drive 21mpg 4WD pickups and very high mileage imports for almost Free.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

I know you're already out, but I'm driving my 4th bmw. 03' x5, '03 325, '06 330 and the current one is a '11 135i. It needs a water pump now which is irksome, but, generally they have all been fairly reliable. The '06 I owned the longest and it never gave me a problem that I didn't cause. they were very similar repair wise to anything I've owned that wasn't brand new or Honda. YMMV

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Teenage boys?

Yeah, the more HP, the better.

Said no one ever. Lol.

I'd rock the beige and get a 4Cyl stripper Camry.
    I get what you're saying, but none of the vehicles I am looking at are fire breathing HP machines. We are moving them on from the beige, an 03 Ford Taurus. Beige as fuck.

My guys have driving time, ride dirt bikes and atv's, etc. I don't blame for not wanting a pussy-repellent ride, I never did. I'm going to start looking into the Subaru, in the end it's still Maine, and utility has to be a part of the decision.

Also, thanks for ALL input!

Last edited by gixxer72; 10-07-17 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Thanks

One of the things that was emphasized in the advanced driver training classes that my kids took was the value of anti-lock brake systems. Being able to just stomp and steer in sketchy conditions is a lot easier and safer than trying to master threshold braking. Based on that I'd suggest that you might want to verify that any car that you're looking at that was built before 2013 has ABS.

When I was looking at cars for my kids I was very surprised at how many cars out there don't have it. I asked about ABS when I called sellers and many assumed they had it but didn't really know. I asked them hop in the car and turn the key on so that all of the idiot lights turn on. If there isn't one that says ABS the car doesn't have it.

I don't know if insurance in ME in similar to MA but I found that any six cylinder car was much more expensive to insure than four cylinder cars. Also, there was a big difference between some four cylinders models. My daughter's Mazda3 was much more expensive to insure than the Altima she had before it, even though they both had small NA fours in them.

The advanced training guys hated SUVs too, due to their high CG/ease of rollover.

Last edited by Tom M; 10-09-17 at 10:29 AM.

I'll preface this by saying I am definitely in the minority with my BMW experience.

2007 335xi twin turbo E90 6 speed manual. Purchased with just under 50k miles from Stratham BMW for $21k. Certified preowned, bumper to bumper warranty (windshield wipers included) up to 100k miles. All the options save for navigation. Stratham replaced the clutch at 54k miles (warrantied) as it was slipping under high load/boost applications. Tulley replaced the rear window pulley (warrantied) when it failed around 75k miles. New struts (Koni sport) and eibach springs somewhere around 80k; more for the driver than the car. At 100,050 miles she got a Cobb Accessport plus filter and was bumped to stage 1. ~115k miles the bearing on the steering shaft started binding; $400 or so. I replaced the battery at the same time. At ~125k miles I ran over an extension ladder the long way in a foot and a half of blower pow on the main road through Goffstown. Took off the lower half of both the front bumper and radiator. Unsure how the lader missed the oil pan but it did. Made a horrific noise however nothing when compared to having the front driveshaft twist into a pretzel and shear in half while merging onto route 3 in second gear about 20k miles ago. I'll blame that on the elevated power (or maybe it was nicked by the ladder, who knows?). Removed the front driveshaft and upgraded to Cobb stage 2.

Currently sits outside my office at ~155k. Doesn't leak a drop. Is a blast to drive in RWD until I stop being lazy and snag a front driveshaft off of ebay. Zero rust on the body or underbody. Car pulls hard enough to roll on the gas in 3rd gear and spin up the tires. She's going to need suspension bushings this winter (will do it myself) but that's to be expected at this mileage.

Am I on borrowed time? Probably. Would I buy the car again knowing what I know now? Absolutely. All that being said, I also have a teenager who's prepping to drive. Recommend checking with your insurance on any purchase pre-purchasing. Insuring our soon to be 16 year old daughter on a BMW about damn near made me faint. She'll end up driving a camry while I throw down on a Z4.

Fitz

Well feel better

BMW has just opened a new factory (nafta) in Mexico and your $50,000 car will be made by Mexicans who make $1.10 per hour..... enjoy

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Well feel better

BMW has just opened a new factory (nafta) in Mexico and your $50,000 car will be made by Mexicans who make $1.10 per hour..... enjoy
    Trivia: BMW is the largest auto exporter in the U.S. They make a shit ton of cars in S.C.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

Opinions?
    Access Denied

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Opinions?
    Access Denied
    Worth checking out. I love buying off brand cars at dealers. It looks like someone took care of it for a while. The accident would concern me some, but it's done some mileage since then.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast