Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

body shop north of boston

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

body shop north of boston

So the audi is showing rust on the rear wheel well enough os that my amateur hands cant sand and touch up paint. but not o bad i'm its a major issue

Anyone reccomend a localish body shop that can fix her up.?? i plan on keeping her till she kaputs which should be another 100k

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: body shop north of boston

Anything like this is not going to be cheap, so be prepared.

The shop that worked on my MDX is the same that provides service to Acura of Peabody. North Reading Automotive. Their work was pretty good. I don't know anyone there so you're walking in blind. In the past I've had good experiences at Tecce's Auto in Wakefield. Larry is a good guy but gruff like most in the industry. Get past the crust and you're all set. They specialize in Subaru but po-tay-toe/poe-tah-toe.

I've had excellent experiences at North Shore Auto Body in Danvers on route one. The owner, Dave, has been in business for generations and they don't let anything leave the shop that isn't immaculate.

Quote Originally Posted by NPDCPA View Post
    Anything like this is not going to be cheap, so be prepared.

The shop that worked on my MDX is the same that provides service to Acura of Peabody. North Reading Automotive. Their work was pretty good. I don't know anyone there so you're walking in blind. In the past I've had good experiences at Tecce's Auto in Wakefield. Larry is a good guy but gruff like most in the industry. Get past the crust and you're all set. They specialize in Subaru but po-tay-toe/poe-tah-toe.
    Family business of a child hood friend of mine. We use to hang in that shop all the time. In general, they see a lot of volume from the dealerships, standard repair work. Volume = repetitiveness = good. I wouldn't hesitate to go for standard repairs.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Honest question -

Are there any "body shops" left that even do rust repair work? I went looking a while back to get some fender rust looked at on my Subaru and nobody would touch it. All I could seem to find was "collision repair" shops that called themselves "body shops". They would only touch collision damaged cars where pulling off bent parts, straightening the mount points, installing new parts and painting was the work involved. Even the local tech school that supposedly teaches "auto body repair" wouldn't touch anything with rust all they wanted was collision damage as well.

you could try Lambert's Auto Body in Methuen. My friends dad more or less ran it when I was in high school, I hung out there a lot with his son and worked on our cars there. It's a pretty old fashioned shop, I'd imagine they'll do rust repair.

Like I said they say, nothing stops a party barge.

97' Ducati 900SS - Sometimes runs

Once a while ago I attempted to have rust repair done and various shops wanted nothing to do with it since rust tends to return and nobody wants to deal with call backs.

How bad is it? Have you looked at products like POR-15? Check out what's available at eastwood.com. Save yourself some money, earn yourself some education. Win / Win!!

Rust is tough, once it starts you usually have to replace the offending metal to get good long term results. If caught in time, you can get away with sanding down or media blasting and filling. The problem with most cars is once you see the rust on the outside, it came from the inside. Not many replacement sections are made anymore so if you want to do it right, you are buying large panels for replacement and then you have paint matching to deal with no matter how you fix it. Body shops want the quick turnaround, they don't operate like the restoration guys you see on TV. I'm currently trying to find someone to weld a couple patch panels on my truck and I'll do the remainder of the body work and painting (I just can't weld anymore, don't do it enough). But it is difficult to find anyone that will take it on.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

NPDCPA - Yeah if I had time and a shop I am familiar enough with the process that I could do it myself I just don't have those resources at this time.

Falko - I understand they are in business to make money but if someone is willing to pay for the work you might think that some of the shops would be willing to do it. Sadly I was unable to find anyone that would so I parking lot hacked it enough to keep getting inspection stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Honest question -

Are there any "body shops" left that even do rust repair work? I went looking a while back to get some fender rust looked at on my Subaru and nobody would touch it. All I could seem to find was "collision repair" shops that called themselves "body shops". They would only touch collision damaged cars where pulling off bent parts, straightening the mount points, installing new parts and painting was the work involved. Even the local tech school that supposedly teaches "auto body repair" wouldn't touch anything with rust all they wanted was collision damage as well.

most shops don't have the tools to do the work.

i have a body shop (south of boston) and we doo quite a bit of rust repair (we have a metal fabrication shop too)

pretty much every week of the year were fixing or stoping rust on something.

we also keep stuff from rusting more by neutralizing the rust.

it usually comes down to is it worth fixing.

you wouldn't spend $2k to fix a car worth 1k

jim

"Molon labe"

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    NPDCPA - Yeah if I had time and a shop I am familiar enough with the process that I could do it myself I just don't have those resources at this time.

Falko - I understand they are in business to make money but if someone is willing to pay for the work you might think that some of the shops would be willing to do it. Sadly I was unable to find anyone that would so I parking lot hacked it enough to keep getting inspection stickers.
    I agree with you totally. I think there is just a lack of business and or ability to do that type of work anymore. In our disposable society, we don't keep cars if they get rusty, you trade them off and that's that. And those who buy a rusty car don't care and will do the absolute minimum to keep it going. I don't think there are very many that will put the effort forth to keep something nice as it ages.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    most shops don't have the tools to do the work.

i have a body shop (south of boston) and we doo quite a bit of rust repair (we have a metal fabrication shop too)

pretty much every week of the year were fixing or stoping rust on something.

we also keep stuff from rusting more by neutralizing the rust.

it usually comes down to is it worth fixing.

you wouldn't spend $2k to fix a car worth 1k
    Good to know that you are in the body business. I may have to PM/come see you with a different vehicle at some point. I don't mind driving for the work if it will get done and done well.

When you say North..., where exactly are you?

I deal with a couple dozen body shops on a weekly basis.

Problem with rust repair is when you start to see it that's just the surface problem. What's under it is where it gets expensive.

Let me know what town you live in and I might be able to suggest a shop or two. Very few do actual rust repair just because to do it right costs more than people think.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Appreciate all the reccommendations....
    So...I found a joint ( Cambridge auto body in burlington)
    Owner ( older fellow) took his time to inspect etc.Concencsus is that more then likely the rust is surface,due to chips from stones etc.
    He;ll pull the panel,grind prime, coat for 350
    Not bad i was expecting 700$ however if rust is below or thru the sheet metal then price goes up

but he echoed what you all stated.. rsut repair is dying "art" its damage more than what you can see, labor intensive to do it right

He's given me advice about my xterra rusting wheel well as well( basicaly grind, spray rust converter and fill with roofing mastic)

hmmmm......

Lifer

East derry auto body in NH. off exit 4 on 93. I'm in the same boat, quarter panel on my civic, and it was way way cheaper than I imagined.