Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Boiler replacement

Boiler replacement

Think I'm going to go ahead with this project but it's so damn hard to tell if I'm being bent over. Respected local company, I don't expect a cheap rate just a fair one. Don't want to pay more because there's a mass save rebate and loan.

Replace existing gas boiler (forced hot water, 2 zones) and gas fired water heater tank with 200k btu version of this:
    Lochinvar Products - Noble Fire Tube Combi Boiler product line.
    1yr labor warranty, 5yr parts, lifetime boiler.

They are going to install a plumbing board (air elimination, dirt seperator) and do everything else they should be doing. Quote is almost 15k.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Boiler replacement

I replaced two boilers about 8 years ago, got great prices on the boilers going through MASS SAVE Residential Rebates & Incentives for Homeowners, Renters, & Landlords

As I recall, the gas boilers (Burnham) were about $1500 each through MASS SAVE.

Installer was Unified Mechanical, Wakefield MA, they acted as general contractor. They did the whole job in one 8-hour day in January.

Pricing overall was very good, but being a few years ago, may not mean too much. The total bill was $10K for two boilers installed, all cleanup and disposal, all piping connected, controls wired, chimney lined and pointed, two oil tanks removed and disposed of. (Already had gas piped in the house for hot water and stoves.)

That's all I know about boilers, hope it might help.

Last edited by whynot; 11-20-17 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Burnham
    Don't believe everything you think.

Sounds high to me, but mass prices always seem to be double what other states are. I had a quote last year to replace our boiler only and it was $5k. The boiler they were installing was $2500-3k just to buy, so $2k in labor for 1 day... I denied it. My last house I had a complete heating system installed in a new construction house, with central air for $13k for comparison.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Not sure if it is comparable but I replaced a 30 year old gas boiler for $7k out the door (taxes, fees, everything).

It's hard to compare apples to apples. I know this is a good company who will do this high end install right. Sales person expected about 1.5 days for install not including the board that they would assemble and pressure test at their shop. I'm sure if I wanted a straight boiler swap it would be a fraction.

Corn hole

Boiler delivered should be 3000 2 guys 2 days 2500 extra stuff another 1500

My water heater is a 3rd zone and was about 2000 it is all stainless inside

Unless its an emergency do this stuff in the summer

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

That's a bit high.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Buddy just did a combo unit through Mass save and was 2500 out of pocket all done . A regular slant Fin or Weil McLain will be 5500 installed all done

Thanks guys. I hit pause on the job and I'll get some proper quotes in the Spring. If I miss out on the rebate then so be it.

xxaarraa

The numbers I am sharing below are for someone to install the boilers for me. I have no idea what numbers would be like if you installed them yourself.

I installed two new boilers in my two family this year and split the utilities for the first time as well (so involved National Grid setting up a new meter bar, new meter, upgrading old meter and plumbers tracing pipes between the two units).

Paid $12,500 to one plumber for one boiler and $9,650 to another a few months later. I went with identical Navien NCB-240 'combi' boilers for both units. The first one was an emergency as the old boiler quit working abruptly in middle of winter, and that plumber is usually a high priced but immediate response type of guy. In both cases, MassSave subsequently cut me a check for $1600 each time about 8 weeks after install paperwork was faxed to them.

So all in, my average cost per high efficiency boiler installed was $9,475. Happy to send you the contact info for either of my plumbers if you need.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 11-25-17 at 07:47 AM.