Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bow hunting school me.

Bow hunting school me.

Just picked up a PSE Nova 60# . I know nothing about compound bows. That being said I would like to get started practicing. I have a target block, field tips and arrows. I also have upgraded the sights and arrow rest after some research as this bow is an older NOVA one cam I think . Where does one go to practice safely and free. Any tips would help.I live in Wilmington.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX11D; 10-01-14 at 05:50 AM. Reason: ooops

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Re: Bow hunting school me.

subscribing to this.... I'm interested as well........

1 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

I don't live in Wilmington or anywhere near you so I can't help you there, but I can give you some general pointers to help you along.

If you have a fenced in back yard you can practice quite a bit very safely (if your town doesn't have any ordinances about arrows/projectiles). All you need is 60 feet of open space, about 4 feet across, and thats all you need. If you're new to bow hunting, I'd start at 10 yards and work your way back to 20 to get used to it. Your pin should be the same for 10 yards, 15 yards, and 20 yards. Past 20 yards, you'll need another pin to sight in.

Before you buy an expensive archery target, you can make your own "Rag Bag" for basically free. Just put in old sheets, blankets, clothes, etc into a cardboard box. make sure there is no plastic or metal to damage your arrows. Make sure the box is about 12" deep and roughly 2' by 2' and you're good to go.

As far as technique, there's plenty other tips I can give you if you want them.

1 Not allowed!
    Clutch Brake Throttle.....
    LRRS AM #107
    2008 Hypermotard 1100S -

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    I don't live in Wilmington or anywhere near you so I can't help you there, but I can give you some general pointers to help you along.

If you have a fenced in back yard you can practice quite a bit very safely (if your town doesn't have any ordinances about arrows/projectiles). All you need is 60 feet of open space, about 4 feet across, and thats all you need. If you're new to bow hunting, I'd start at 10 yards and work your way back to 20 to get used to it. Your pin should be the same for 10 yards, 15 yards, and 20 yards. Past 20 yards, you'll need another pin to sight in.

Before you buy an expensive archery target, you can make your own "Rag Bag" for basically free. Just put in old sheets, blankets, clothes, etc into a cardboard box. make sure there is no plastic or metal to damage your arrows. Make sure the box is about 12" deep and roughly 2' by 2' and you're good to go.

As far as technique, there's plenty other tips I can give you if you want them.
    Great stuff. I have about 90 feet of grass (turf) on one side of my property. Is that really enough. I feel like the any misses would go a lot further than that. There is no fence there but I have a 4x8 sheet I could use as a back stop and will this damage my arrows?
    Thanks again for your help .

0 Not allowed!

Arrows won't travel that far if you're aiming at a target on the ground. If you missed your target at say 20 yards, the arrow may only make it to 30 or 35 before it hits the ground. In my back yard I still make sure I have a good backstop (6' wood privacy fence) and a few trees behind it so none of my neighbors worry if they happen to see me practicing.

If you plan on hunting, I would say most ethical hunters will only attempt kill shots at 30 yards max. Some may go 40, but thats still a long shot to be accurate to get a good clean kill on a deer. I know I can hit out to 40 and beyond, but when in a tree stand, I figure 25 yards would be about max for my shooting lanes anyway. 90 feet (30 yards) is plenty to get started. If you're shooting carbon arrows, I've had mine go through some 1/2 plywood a few inches with no splintering or problems with the arrow. Aluminum probably wouldn't survive that. Carbon arrows are either straight, or broke. There's no in between.

My arrows are about 27.25", 400 spline, and with tips weight about 425 grains (100 grain broad heads/field tips). You want them to be above 5 grains of weight per draw weight of your bow or you could damage your bow. Between 6 and 7 grains per pound is about where they should be. Your shop should have gotten you in the ballpark when you bought everything so I'm sure you're good to go there.

1 Not allowed!
    LRRS AM #107
    2008 Hypermotard 1100S -

Great stuff. I have a target block and couldn't wait to try it out. At about ten yards as you suggested. 400 g carbons arrows with 100 g field tips. Grazed the block first shot. Adjusted and then used the peep to line up ( dumb newbi) with the lowest pin and put 6 in the black about 2 1/2 inches apart. This is gonna be fun thanks .

0 Not allowed!

Did you say the lowest pin? You need to move all of your pins.

Eta or depending on your sight keep the lowest and move the rest under it.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by G21forme; 10-01-14 at 04:50 PM.
    [/IMG][/URL]

That makes sense. I think i can adjust themm all down . Top pin is my 20 then 30 ,40 etc right?

0 Not allowed!

If that's what you are shooting yes, I have marks for 90m 70m 50m and 30m because that's what I shoot.

1 Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

I really don't know what I'll shoot yet. I would be very pleased with nice tight groups at 20 i guess. Need to get back in the gymm though. Left shoulder kinda weak . Ha ha .

0 Not allowed!

Bit of advice you don't need the gym, all you need is a place to do push ups....

1 Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

Being a new shooter, expect that your muscles and shoulder will be tired after about 15-20 shots. Being an older bow, I expect it's between 60-70 percent letoff at best, so at 60# draw, you're holding 18-24 lbs. you can build up strength by holding longer before loosing your arrow.

By comparison, my creed is at 65# draw and has about 80% letoff, so I'm only holding about 13 lbs. Ive been able to hold and shoot more consistent with this one over my older bow.

1 Not allowed!
    LRRS AM #107
    2008 Hypermotard 1100S -

Bow hunting school me.

Here's a video from my wife playing around with her new iPhones slow-motion video. Shot was at 20 yards with my muzzy broad head and practice blades.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jcbell1007; 10-01-14 at 08:26 PM.
    LRRS AM #107
    2008 Hypermotard 1100S -

Looks like an archer who used to glue thumbtacks to his riser.

1 Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

Hahaha. I've found this past summer that I am more consistent with and open hand than trying anything else. I had a bad problem of gripping the bow as soon as I released. Sometimes I still do if I'm not conscious of it.

1 Not allowed!
    LRRS AM #107
    2008 Hypermotard 1100S -

That's why we used to put thumb tacks on the risers when coaching, kind of crazy but it worked like a charm.

Eta
    Not a finger flinched, pretty impressive, what are you running for a sling?

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by G21forme; 10-01-14 at 10:48 PM.
    [/IMG][/URL]

I honestly don't know what brand of sling it is. It's a leather strap that attached at the stabilizer, with a braided nylon cord that comes over my wrist. It came on my old bow and was comfortable so I reused it.

1 Not allowed!
    LRRS AM #107
    2008 Hypermotard 1100S -

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    Being a new shooter, expect that your muscles and shoulder will be tired after about 15-20 shots. Being an older bow, I expect it's between 60-70 percent letoff at best, so at 60# draw, you're holding 18-24 lbs. you can build up strength by holding longer before loosing your arrow.

By comparison, my creed is at 65# draw and has about 80% letoff, so I'm only holding about 13 lbs. Ive been able to hold and shoot more consistent with this one over my older bow.
    Ha Ha. Thanks but I DO NEED the gym. I`ve been u tubing alot for info and saw something about having a loose grip / open hand. what a difference. I think I`ll skip the tacks.

0 Not allowed!

pack your clothing in sheep shit

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

What about arrows. What little I do know is the arrows are specific sizes and wgts. My bow says to use at least 360 g and I`m not sure how that number relates to the the numbers 340-400 I have seen marked on the arrow boxes. Is this the same or do I need more info. The draw on my bow is 28 inches. Does that mean I need arrows 29-29 1/2 inches or do I need to measure the actual draw to the arrow rest and add 1-1/2 inches then have arrows cut. I`m confused!

0 Not allowed!

Take a look at an Easton chart, there's more to an arrow than length and weight. Flex is a huge part as well, too much or too little is not good. Draw to your cheek and measure an inch/inch and a half past the rest. Risers are so different this is just a base, you can run field tips an inch longer just make sure you have broadhead clearance, might be 1.5" might be 2" ...

0 Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

I had a buddy of mine put new vanes on 3 of my arrows yesterday. Something happened because now with broad heads on, their flight is all over the place. Not sure what he did but I'm looking to buy new arrows now. I probably won't until after hunting season as I've still got two good, original arrows to hunt with. :-/

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS AM #107
    2008 Hypermotard 1100S -

Fletching jigs have alignment adjustments and his might have been off. Just a few tips when you get new arrows number the nocks, oh and check to see if the bad arrows are straight by hand. Some people get a little too forceful with their jigs.

0 Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

I did and as best i can tell i can use either 340 or 400 spine . I understand the archers paradox a bit and I guess I will try to figure out what works best . At 50-100 dollars a half dozen I was trying to save a few bucks . No pun

0 Not allowed!

I'm guessing you aren't running a plunger because iirc you are running a release? And have you not paper tested? The archers paradox is left to right with fingers and up/down with a release.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by G21forme; 10-04-14 at 09:37 PM.
    [/IMG][/URL]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast