Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Brewing - making the best of a "nothing special" batch

Brewing - making the best of a "nothing special" batch

Long story short, I brewed a milk stout that when poured didn't hold the typical stout head. It tasted just OK, nothing special. I figured why not mess around with it a bit to see what adjuncts I might be interested in trying. Curious to see what others have tried (success or failure). I realize that adding to beer after it has finished is more inline with a cocktail than what will come from adding during the actual brew/kegging process. Still, it interested me and I didn't see letting 2 gallons of brew go to waste.

So I tried this stout with the following.
    Cranberry:
    Added about 10% by volume. It was OK though it didn't pair as well as I'd hoped. Gave it a bit of a red hue and a bit of tart bite. Not sure it is worth chasing this one further.

Lemonade:
    Added about 10% by volume. This was surprisingly good. So much so that I'm starting to look for recipes that it might work with. I'd never thought I'd like a citrus hit in a dark beer but there it is.

Post up what you have tried. I'd like to get more knowledge on what works with what before trying some other styles.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Brewing - making the best of a "nothing special" batch

always wanted to try brewing but never have had the time

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

I wished I liked beer enough to get into brewing my own. It seems like such a really cool hobby.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I've only ever added apples and oranges to my wort. You need a lot though though as the flavor boils down, think maple sugar. Just keep in mind whenever your wort contains fruit the fermentation takes longer and you will have a higher alcohol content from my rookie experience. If you rush it and sugar it up when you bottle they will explode. I actually tried to to an apple brew the first time and loaded the pot up and it was perfect, not like a reds but more like a hint of apple. Came out pretty good, same with cinnamon, always load up, idk why but the flavor in the end product disapates

[/IMG][/URL]

Truth be told I took a 20 year break from brewing and just started again. While a lot remains the same much has changed. Small batches seem to be a thing now. Years ago you couldn't easily lay hands on anything smaller than a 5 gallon soda keg. That's actually why I quit. Tapping a 5 gallon keg seems like a great idea until the realization strikes it's just you and a friend or two. When friends start showing up with 32 oz mugs it's time to switch hobbies. Now there is equipment suited to making smaller batches from 1-3 gallons.
    Anyway, seems I need to revisit a few things as my pre brew organization and preparation isn't as well planned as my post brew tasting enthusiasm. Some lessons to relearn.

I stick to kegs only as I gave up on screwing with bottles as taking way too much time and effort. See post above.

What type of beer were you adding apples or oranges to?

i've been spending a ton of money on trying different micro brews...mostly heavy alcohol content ipas...i specifically like new england style ipas...i can have 1 or 2 and feel pretty good...any more than that and i'm asking for a headache...hanging out with friends i usually go with something lighter...but if i had time i would like to see if i could brew a ne ipa myself...not even sure what kind of setup that would entail to brew that style of beer or if it's easy or hard...maybe once my daughter gets older i will have some time to try it

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    What type of beer were you adding apples or oranges to?
    Irish reds for apples and I can't remember the oranges, maybe a wheat? Only did oranges once but I'll say I like apples and they tend to taste better in something of a med body non hoppy brew. Just prefererence of course as I'm not a hop head.

Last edited by G21forme; 11-18-20 at 04:00 PM.
    [/IMG][/URL]