Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

I built a little search engine. Go try it out. Or die.

A few weeks ago I decided to build a little search engine with a specific use: To index and search various forum-based classifieds.

The idea first came to me when I was looking around for a replacement exhaust for my track bike. My daily search routine would include going to 4-5 different bike forums, ebay, etc - and I thought "what a pain in the ass - why isn't there an easier way to do this?"

So... I decided to solve my own problem, and built a search engine to do just that. Unlike other major search engines (like Google), which index the whole interweb, since I'm only indexing a small subset of the web, I can have much faster re-crawls and provide relevant up-to-date results with little noise.

Anyhow, the url is:

Forum / Bulletin Board Search.

Try it, tell your friends, and be merry.

Right now it's only indexing a hand-full of forums, most of which are bike forums, with some car and other misc. forums as well. In fact, you can see an up-to-date list of all the forums which are currently being indexed here:
    Forum / Bulletin Board Search - Inxexing Information

Also, if you are members of any other forums which have good activity and have a classifieds section, let me know about it via this suggestion form so that I can add them to the index: Forum / Bulletin Board Search - Suggest a Site

Lastly, keep in mind that this is the very first version of the software - mostly testing the waters to how people respond to it and if it starts getting a loyal user base.

There's a lot more features planned for it in the pipe-line:

1. Anyone will be able to mark threads as "sold" so that the quality of the results will stay fresh and old posts will get pruned by the searching community itself.

2. People will be able to register to set up e-mail notifications, so that if something new matching your query pops up, you'll get e-mailed with it.

3. You'll be able to link your account on bbsearcher to any of the forums which are being indexed, then have control over whether you want to hide certain threads you own from the results /etc.

4. Registered users will be able to rate sellers & leave feedback.

5. Find everything for sale by a certain user (and if they've registered/linked their account, it will find everything they've listed across various boards).

Well, that about wraps it up. I'd love to hear some feedback/suggestions/etc.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Great new project!

But I just tried it out and seems its not to accurate, or I'm not using it properly.

I have been looking for a shock for my fz1 and just tried -fz1 penske- -fz1+penske- -fz1 ohlins- -fz1+ohlins-

All 4 searches can back with everything that had a tag of fz1 or ohlins/penske but nothing that had both in the add This was one of the results

So what did I do wrong?

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

if you're looking for a penske for an fz1 try:

+fz1 +penske

(I just tried it - but it doesn't seem like there's any FZ1 penske/ohlins shocks out there, though).

You'll get lots of hits for +sv650 +penske, though.... If you're part of some active FZ1 forum, let me know about it via the submission form so I can add it to the index, since the index isn't that vast right now.

Your dedication to improving the interweb never ceases to amaze me.

My compliments to this project!

Just tried it...works great!

If all else fails, Lean more....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/brendanp/brendanp_sig.jpg

Did you wanna mix in some cager-forums too or are you looking to keep it mainly bikes and other toys?

I can suggest a few cage-oriented forums if you're looking to go in that direction as well.

And I assume you don't mind if I link your search engine into some of the other forums I'm on...you know, to help get the word out.....?

awesome project man, great idea!

i'm impressed, well done....i can make things look good, but when it comes to the code it boggles my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Did you wanna mix in some cager-forums too or are you looking to keep it mainly bikes and other toys?

I can suggest a few cage-oriented forums if you're looking to go in that direction as well.

And I assume you don't mind if I link your search engine into some of the other forums I'm on...you know, to help get the word out.....?
    I want to mix in as much stuff as I can. In fact, there's a bunch of car forums in there already, most of which I just found through google - most are bike forums simply because this is the scene I am most familiar with.

So, if you know any car forums, or any other forums, be it fishing, atv's, video games, electronics, photography, whatever - and they have a classifieds section, feel free to submit em.

And by all means spread the word!

Thanks homes!

-E

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    awesome project man, great idea!

i'm impressed, well done....i can make things look good, but when it comes to the code it boggles my mind.
    I'm just wired for it I guess... programming always came very naturally to me. I can't draw/design for crap, though. My approach to design is to find other sites I like and steal their design elements & concepts . If I had the capitol in my business right now I would have been hiring a designer for any and all creative work instead of photo shopping it all myself.

Quote Originally Posted by WOTEugene View Post
    I'm just wired for it I guess... programming always came very naturally to me. I can't draw/design for crap, though. My approach to design is to find other sites I like and steal their design elements & concepts . If I had the capitol in my business right now I would have been hiring a designer for any and all creative work instead of photo shopping it all myself.

hahaha i'm in the exact same boat....i outsource half the code work that i get, the other half i use either free stuff or SOMETIMES try it myself (but not often) I can critique design and layouts all day, but code just doesn't come together in my head, i know how it works and "this does that" or whatever, but i'm just not analytical enough to be comfortable with it.

I think we had this discussion over dinner before the lean angle day haha

Re: I built a little search engine. Go try it out. Or die.

Quote Originally Posted by WOTEugene View Post
    And by all means spread the word!
    Spreading the word.

I added some suggestions but didn't realize you already had some of them....hope you don't double up on 'em...

Re: I built a little search engine. Go try it out. Or die.

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Spreading the word.

I added some suggestions but didn't realize you already had some of them....hope you don't double up on 'em...
    Thanks, and no harm done.

I've been going through the list and adding the forums gradually...