Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

The Butcher Can't Make Up His Fuckin' Mind

re: The Butcher Can't Make Up His Fuckin' Mind

After searching and finding nothing I could feel good about purchasing, it looks like I'm headed right back to finding a Subaru, and more specifically, a Legacy GT. Couple of nice broken ones to be had for short money.

During my search I found that Volvos are nice, solid and well built however they are built weird (in my opinion), parts are way expensive and I don't care enough about wanting something different to make the jump to Sweden's offerings. The driving experience wasn't quite there in a way that I would enjoy long term. I tried S80's and S60's of all different configurations and just couldn't find myself feeling good about making the switch.

Along the way I considered Audi A4's and A6's but that was short lived. I've had German cars in the past and electrical gremlins were a constant thing.

That all said, Subarus are just too damn good at what they do and I'm much more familiar with them and their quirks.

0 Not allowed!

What's your budget?

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

I think I'd agree they drive weird, but built weird? Eh. Parts from a dealership are stupid-expensive. OEM parts from a third party are more expensive than Honda civic, but not more expensive than BMW.

If you know subarus though, that's a big plus for a DIY'er. That's hard to beat. Just replace headgasket with every spark plug change and it'll last forever I'm not sure about the mid to late 2000's Subarus, but doesn't look like they hold up against rust very well as they age. Better than some, but it seems like a major cause of death.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    After searching and finding nothing I could feel good about purchasing, it looks like I'm headed right back to finding a Subaru, and more specifically, a Legacy GT. Couple of nice broken ones to be had for short money.

During my search I found that Volvos are nice, solid and well built however they are built weird (in my opinion), parts are way expensive and I don't care enough about wanting something different to make the jump to Sweden's offerings. The driving experience wasn't quite there in a way that I would enjoy long term. I tried S80's and S60's of all different configurations and just couldn't find myself feeling good about making the switch.

Along the way I considered Audi A4's and A6's but that was short lived. I've had German cars in the past and electrical gremlins were a constant thing.

That all said, Subarus are just too damn good at what they do and I'm much more familiar with them and their quirks.
    I hear 2012 WRX Limiteds are really nice

0 Not allowed!

There is no budget, per se. Just looking for the right arrangement of broken parts that lines up with a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I think I'd agree they drive weird, but built weird? Eh. Parts from a dealership are stupid-expensive. OEM parts from a third party are more expensive than Honda civic, but not more expensive than BMW.

If you know subarus though, that's a big plus for a DIY'er. That's hard to beat. <script id="gpt-impl-0.200516379844619" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_105.js?v=105"></script>Just replace headgasket with every spark plug change and it'll last forever I'm not sure about the mid to late 2000's Subarus, but doesn't look like they hold up against rust very well as they age. Better than some, but it seems like a major cause of death.
    So here's the thing with the headgaskets.....I've owned several Subaru engines, the 2.0t, the 2.5NA and the 2.5t. I must be incredibly lucky to have not needed to replace a single one.

Rust is always a concern but not just with Subaru.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I hear 2012 WRX Limiteds are really nice
    I offer 2500 and a bag of weed...........oh wait, this isn't Craigs List.

1 Not allowed!

After searching and finding nothing I could feel good about purchasing, it looks like I'm headed right back to finding a Subaru, and more specifically, a Legacy GT. Couple of nice broken ones to be had for short money.//
    After having two H4 Outbacks, we purchased a 2006 3.0R. It has the 3.0L H6, 5EAT, and the VTD drive system, which is 40/60 torque distribution through a planetary center differential.

It now has 213,000 miles on it and I expect to keep it to 225-250,000 miles.

The "High Zoot" model of the H6's is the LL Bean, which had leather seats and a sunroof. In 2005 and 2006 they had a lower-model called the 3.0R that didn't have leather seats or sunroof. Sunroof cuts headroom so I bought a 3.0R and put Katzkin leather in.

The only annoying thing is the sound system is integrated with the HVAC controls and doesn't have any aux input. This was fixed in 2007 or 2008. So the 2007-2009 models are more desirable for that reason.

The 3.0R happily burns regular and has a tow rating of 3,500. We compared acceleration between the 3.0R and LGT 5EAT (closed course, professional drivers) and they were neck-and-neck up to almost 80mph. But the LGT manuals are still sought after and people are rebuilding them to keep them on the road.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    After having two H4 Outbacks, we purchased a 2006 3.0R. It has the 3.0L H6, 5EAT, and the VTD drive system, which is 40/60 torque distribution through a planetary center differential.

It now has 213,000 miles on it and I expect to keep it to 225-250,000 miles.

The "High Zoot" model of the H6's is the LL Bean, which had leather seats and a sunroof. In 2005 and 2006 they had a lower-model called the 3.0R that didn't have leather seats or sunroof. Sunroof cuts headroom so I bought a 3.0R and put Katzkin leather in.
    Does the LL Bean have built-in electric defrost for the side mirrors and (bottom of the) windshield? The previous generation did, I think.

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Shameless plug: I have a set of OEM 5 spoke LGT 17" rims I'm going to sell for $200. They have some curb rash, but good for snow tires and fairly light at 18 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Does the LL Bean have built-in electric defrost for the side mirrors and (bottom of the) windshield? The previous generation did, I think.
    The LL Bean has everything. 5EAT with VTD, VDC, double sunroof, leather, dual climate control, high-end sound, turn signals in side mirrors, etc etc. The 05 and 06 have aluminum hood and tailgate.

On the early base models there was an optional "Cold Weather package" that had heated seats, mirrors, and a block heater. For 2006 it was called the "All Weather Package: heated front seats with 4 settings, defrosting outside mirrors, front wiper de-icer." On later years this was standard in even the lowest model, which in 2006 was the 2.5i.

2006 Subaru Outback Research site: prices, options, colors, specs, photos and more [There are a few minor errors in trim-level description].

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 11-30-16 at 04:55 PM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

0 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Well, I went and did it...... just scored a 2005 LGT Limited sedan auto for a couple grand.
    Needs fuel lines and has some big service items due (timing belt, possibly suspension up front).

Seller got in over his head when he decided to try pulling the intake off in order to replace the fuel lines. Decided to quit at the very last bolt because it's blocked by the turbo inlet.

This will be a killer deal if it actually runs. We shall see....

0 Not allowed!

Well, I went and did it...... just scored a 2005 LGT Limited sedan auto for a couple grand.
    Needs fuel lines and has some big service items due (timing belt, possibly suspension up front).

Seller got in over his head when he decided to try pulling the intake off in order to replace the fuel lines. Decided to quit at the very last bolt because it's blocked by the turbo inlet.

I have one Bridgestone tire I bought for my wifes '05 LGT, new never mounted, you can have if you want it. I think it's a R92 or maybe an RE92? IDK, stock tire for the year.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Congrats.
    What color, regal blue on tan?

0 Not allowed!

Blue on tan, indeed. Do you know the car or the seller?

Todd- I'd be interested if I can find 3 others to match. Text me about meeting up. I lost your (and everyone's) number recently and am rebuilding my contacts list.

0 Not allowed!

100k miles or so? Other typical maintenance items at that mileage are front camshaft seals, water pump, and oil pump seals. All optional but recommended.

Ironically the turbos seldom have the head gasket problems of the NA 2.5's.

0 Not allowed!

150-ish

First step is make it run then look into the other service items. If things go well I'd look into setting it up like my wagon was....sans 5mt of course.

My only hope is the 5EAT in the sedan doesn't kill the fun too much.

0 Not allowed!

Sorry, Volvo.

The Butcher Can't Make Up His Fuckin' Mind-img_20161210_150611791_hdr-jpg
    The Butcher Can't Make Up His Fuckin' Mind-img_20161210_150634868-jpg

0 Not allowed!

I have a set of the stock 5 spoke LGT 17" rims bought for winter tires if you are interested. Already have a set for the OBW. They have some curb rash, so $200 for four.

0 Not allowed!

Subaru called me about trading in my 2013 outback that has the 6 speed manual transmission. I asked them how much to trade for another with manual, and they said it's only available with cvt now...so I said forget it!

Just gonna drive mine into the ground, love that thing...

0 Not allowed!

I've got a problem....

The Butcher Can't Make Up His Fuckin' Mind-img_20170418_064932316-jpg

What you see is very clean 2008 LGT. I will be putting an engine in it once I sell the blue 2005. Kinda feeling like I should build something from this.

0 Not allowed!

Kinda feeling like I should build something from this.
    Probably easier to build a motorcycle from something else.

2 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Trust me, I'd love to replace all my driving with riding. Family transport is a must.

0 Not allowed!

I've got a problem....

The Butcher Can't Make Up His Fuckin' Mind-img_20170418_064932316-jpg

What you see is very clean 2008 LGT. I will be putting an engine in it once I sell the blue 2005. Kinda feeling like I should build something from this.
    The guys at Wicked Tuning probably have some ideas. There are a surprising number that of built LGT's. I rode in a manual wagon with coilovers and 340awhp and it was very quick.

0 Not allowed!

Considering Granite State Dyno told me 2500 just for the engine swap, I'm sure I'll be shopping around. I had to be certain the guy didn't mishear me and thought I said Ford GT. Nope, 2500 for 8hrs of labor on a Subaru engine swap. I'll pass, thanks.

I did find an ad on CL that was interesting though...A guy that rebuilds various Subaru engines and charges a reasonable fee for the work. After talking with him at length today, he is saying all the right things about oil pickup mods and getting rid of the screens in the banjo bolts and whatnot. Tells me he is more in tune with his work than just rebuilding engines.

I plan to visit his location prior to starting any work. For me, I want to be certain my car isn't getting stuffed into​ a dirt pile for 6 months with some 2-bit hack. Looking at somewhere around 3k to have the work done depending on a few variables.

1 Not allowed!

This is who built my WRX motor, based on positive referrals on NASIOC New England.

Wicked Performance Group LLC

It has an STI crank, forged pistons, Killer B 6 qt oil pan, etc: very typical build. I can send you the parts list if you pm me your email. It's roughly 320whp on the Dino. I have an Exedy Stage I clutch.

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast