Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The Butcher Can't Make Up His Fuckin' Mind

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Re: The Butcher Can't Make Up His Fuckin' Mind

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    For a second there I thought your post read "Lemme know if you want it changed to something spectacular" and I was like "Frick yes!"

I give you complete artistic freedom, sir.

Last time I did that, I became "Dangerous" Dan K. That said, good call!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    This is why you do not run 21's. PIN IT TO WIN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by StrayNut View Post
    going slow enough to warrant some goggles and a sidecar full of cats

My engine has an air/oil separator. Donít recall if itís GrimmSpeed but I can look it up.

Are you going for the larger Killer B oil pan? We did, holds 6 quarts. Also added the STI water/oil cooler.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback. I feel like the GS AOS would eliminate the potential condensation issue due to how it's made and installed.

Likely not doing an oil pan but will be updating the oil pump and pickup tube.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I have been out of the subaru game for a while, but I did go through a few catch can iterations. For me, a plain catch can had issues, as the cold weather we get would cause a lot of condensation and they would fill up with water quite quickly and have to be dumped often. I ended up going with a crawford as it had a coolant line routed through it to help with condensation, and it drained out the bottom back to the pan so I didnt have to dump it all the time.

Not sure i was ever sold on it draining back to the pan, but I absolutely wouldnt get a non-heated one in cold weather for the condensation reason. The crawford was expensive though.
    Was the water in the catch can the result of shorter trips? I am wondering if the condensation that does build up is something that will burn off provided the vehicle is allowed to run for enough time...? No idea

Apparently Crawford now has a version that eliminates the coolant line.

0 Not allowed!

I checked every box for reliability/durability. My goal was to have a streetable car I could drive to a track day, run hard all day, and drive home without breathing hard, for years. So STI hardened crank, race bearings, forged pistons, additional oil capacity/cooling. Did not go for a big power increase: about 320 AWHP and similar torque on the dyno. Clutch is Exedy Stage I.

Also upgraded the front calipers, added an STI lower strut brace, and Koni shocks with stock springs. Tires are Michelin Pilot Super Sport, highly recommended.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Was the water in the catch can the result of shorter trips? I am wondering if the condensation that does build up is something that will burn off provided the vehicle is allowed to run for enough time...? No idea

Apparently Crawford now has a version that eliminates the coolant line.
    I couldnt really speculate on why it did it. I dont believe I made many short trips then. It was also a very simple catch can setup with an inlet and an outlet and the oil just dropped into the can in the middle.

Years ago, crankcase and heads vented to atmosphere. Not a problem.

This is bad for emissions though, so now it is re-routed back to the intake to be re-burned. The problem is that this vapor can lower your octane rating, and in a high strung car with lots of blow by, it could cause issues. The catch can is there to catch it so you can dump it before it gets ingested by the motor like it is supposed to. Your idea that it will just burn off is probably true, but defeats the whole point of a separator.

And really, where the crawford dumped to my pan, it could still have had condensation and simply been pissing water into my pan, I dont really know.

0 Not allowed!

Basic parts list:

Factory shortblock
    Air/ oil separator - looking at the Grimmspeed setup - open to input... xrocket? Garandman? 13?(if you're still alive and reading this)
    DW 850cc injectors and supporting fuel pump
    Clamp the factory intercooler
    VF52 - freshy, ceramic coated and sitting on the shelf
    TBE - trying to go 3" all the way down, dual exit
    COBB AP - sitting on nightstand
    Tuning - Granite State Dyno

1.5" drop - have springs, Bilsteins on the purchase list
    Requisite Whiteline bushings in the right places

Wheels - have stockers plus a set of 2014 WRX 17's and finally a set of something that are 18's and look great when one isn't bent

Braided lines where braided lines are needed

Mudflaps - red RallyArmour; essential for my future in vaping and flatbilling
    Parts list updated.......GULP!......shortblock time!

Guess it's just as well...start fresh.

0 Not allowed!

Looked up the Air/Oil Separator and it is an "IAG Street Performance Air/Oil Separator for WRX/STI." $400 MSRP. One of those things that is simple to add while the engine is torn down, an adventure otherwise.

IAG Performance Street Series Air / Oil Separator (AOS) For 2008-14 Subaru Impreza WRX, 2008-18 STI and 2009-13 Forester XT.

GrimmSpeed is less and more compact: https://www.grimmspeed.com/air-oil-s...x-sti-lgt-fxt/

Other items (partial list)
    • ACL Main Bearings
    • King Racing rod bearings
    • CP Forged Pistons, rings, wrist pins
    • OEM Induction-Hardened crank
    • ARP head studs, OEM case bolts
    • Killer B 6qt Al oil pan, windage tray, oil pickup
    • New OEM oil pump, water pump, all gaskets and hoses
    • Group N engine mounts

...,And a lot of other minor stuff

0 Not allowed!

I'll end up rebuilding the old block in time but a monster build is out of the cards because #5EATdadlife.

As a sidenote, I am very pleased to be working with Wicked Performance Group on this! Tom and Jay have been great and I'm certainly looking forward to being on the road in the next few weeks.

0 Not allowed!

Driving home this evening.

Me to my daughter (8) - Honey, I ordered the engine for the Legacy today.

Her - Alright! I can't wait! (starts making engine noises with a "whoosh" in between gears...yes, she "whooshes" between the gears)

Her - When will it be ready?

Me - In a few weeks. We're just getting started and there's a lot of work to do.

[extended silence - her wheels are spinning about something]

Her - Is it going to shoot flames out of the hufflapuff?

The what?

2 Not allowed!

Is it going to shoot flames out of the hufflapuff?
    I had that problem once after an all you can eat ghost wings night....

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

0 Not allowed!

I still have from my 2005 STI a full set of struts with tanabe gf210 spring, 70k miles, a forrester cabin air filter, a radiator shroud, and a stock 6 disk changer.

Also have my sparco evo 2's with side mounts, subaru bases, and sliders.

any of you subaru guys have any interest?

0 Not allowed!

Have a pic of them installed in a Subaru?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Have a pic of them installed in a Subaru?
    the seats? not really, purged most of those pghotos, car has been gone a few years now

0 Not allowed!

On the struts, what are the changes to LGT fitment, just the top hats?

0 Not allowed!

On the struts, what are the changes to LGT fitment, just the top hats?
    Actually, now that you mention it, Im almost positive the stock top hats are on them as well. I think the knuckle may be different than the LGT? Sorry im not more help.

0 Not allowed!

The answer is "no". Won't work.

0 Not allowed!

Engine is out of the Legacy and in the back of my truck.

Next up.....tear down!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Butcher Can't Make Up His Fuckin' Mind-tumblr_malipwakoz1rnvwt1-gif  

4 Not allowed!
    Last edited by butcher bergs; 02-15-19 at 06:42 PM. Reason: the gif didn't gif and now it does :)

Teardown complete. Ripped on this thing from Saturday into Sunday and so far so good. One bolt complained in this whole ordeal so that's not bad considering the exhaust is a mess, removing the cam gears can be a wicked pain (but wasn't) and the crank pulley took some coaxing.

The Butcher Can't Make Up His Fuckin' Mind-img_20190217_205646270-jpg

As with my prior engine build debacle that resulted in a small claims case, I again decided to go with a private shop through an ad found on CL and this time it is exactly what I was looking for as far as my desire to support local business. I saw the ad come up a few times over the course of the last year and there were glowing reviews of the quality of work so I went for it. I ended up sending the heads over to Automotive Machine Services in Derry, NH and am quite pleased with what I've seen.

Sadly, I didn't take any before/ after pics but they look amazing so far! Greg (the owner) is an absolute boss at his craft. The shop is by far the coolest I've seen in a long time. There's a certain "patina" to it...you just know it was an old-school shop at some point that has cranked out thousands of quality repairs over the years yet still remains understated but confident to take on plenty more business.....that and there's a pretty sweet R32 Skyline lurking in the shadows.

Anyway, super-stoked to be making progress in leaps and bounds.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by butcher bergs; 02-19-19 at 09:56 AM. Reason: grummah

The Lego is back together and running!
    I'm more or less an air pump bypass and extended road test away from completion.

I've been working primarily with Tom at Wicked Performance Group and am quite pleased with the quality of work as well as communication. Even with a week out of town, I have been fully informed as to status of the job and recommendations.

Had some increases to the original bill based off the recommendations but that's to be expected considering the nature of my request and age of the vehicle. I take a lot of comfort knowing the job has been performed to perfection and, really, there's no sense in shorting on anything especially with modifications and tuning coming down the pike.

No pics because there's nothing special to see. A white 2008 Legacy GT....... dad's car.

0 Not allowed!

Nice dude! Glad it is up and running!

1 Not allowed!

They’re great cars. We just put all new infotainment/Nav into our 2006 Outback 3.0R, as even with 233,000 miles it’s a great running and driving car in a very efficient package.

Keep looking at used Porsche Boxster S, but our 2009 WRX does so many things well it’s hard to contemplate moving on.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 03-07-19 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post

haa! reminds me of the way my brother used to set up the cooling system on the VW race cars he used to build (old air cooled) he would run a duct from the fan shroud opening on the engine in back up to one of the headlamp openings, it was a freekin vacuum cleaner, it could suck speedy dry right off the track, the weekly engine rebuild included cleaning speedy dry out of the cooling fins on the heads & jugs

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Nice dude! Glad it is up and running!
    Thank you. I cannot express how stoked I am to be (almost) back into an LGT. To this day I still wish I didn't sell my 5MT wagon so I'm hoping this car will distract me permanently from that one regret.

The performance mods will trickle in over the next few months. Immediate needs are to address suspension and brakes next plus shake all the crust off from sitting in my driveway for nearly 2 yrs. Overall goal is to have the car set up to my liking by end of summer. Wish I could hit it all now but finances are also being distributed to my other expensive hobbies such as home ownership.

1 Not allowed!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast