Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

The Butcher Can't Make Up His Fuckin' Mind

Re: The Butcher Can't Make Up His Fuckin' Mind

So, a question came up about the source of information for the cable, FreeSSM, etc.

Please see below:

First post in this thread has nearly all information. Only dead link in that post is for the FreeSSM software. V1.2.5 is the latest (and final) version. I went here for my files. The download button is halfway down the page on the right.

I ordered through Amazon for the cable but as long as you have the correct protocol, I imagine any of the available cables will work.

My thread on the LegacyGT forum regarding my symptoms, the TCM recalibration procedure and various links to information.

EDIT: Protocol be damned. A cable containing an FTDI232 chip is the only one that will work.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by butcher bergs; 04-30-19 at 09:33 AM.

So...the cable. Biggest asshole I've ever met.

To save on the headache and for anyone reading this, ENSURE THE CABLE YOU ARE BUYING HAS THE FTDI 232 CHIP INSIDE!!!

I am currently waiting for cable #3. 1st one was my mistake, 2nd one I did not ensure the components inside the cable were correct. $9 has turned into $30

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by butcher bergs; 04-30-19 at 09:34 AM. Reason: $30 not $20

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    ...FTDI 232 CHIP...
    Also be careful if shopping the lowest bidder on fleabay. The hardware teams @ work are seeing a lot of counterfeit FTDI IC's nowadays, some from semi reputable suppliers even. Seems someone reverse engineered some of the common functions of the IC and built a knock off. But it doesn't perform right and doesn't have all of the features implemented. We had to recall a batch of product over this.

1 Not allowed!

3rd cable arrived and works as intended however I do believe there is a knockoff FTDI chip that Bubba spoke of as the body of the IC is not etched with ID in any way. Almost certainly a gray market component.

At least for this application, the cable did read TCU and ECU as well as write to the ECU (I did not try anything with the TCU other than reset Mem and Mem2). My 2-3 shift seems a whole lot better so far.

Amazon link to cable

0 Not allowed!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456