Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Cable Modem / WiFi Router powering off

Having an issue where we canít get WiFi temporarily due to something powering off...I get a disconnection notification on my blink camera app but I donít really notice it until Iím using my phone and itís slow...I havenít been able to catch it in the act...during this time when we try to connect to the WiFi it wonít accept the password...after I unplug the router and let that restart we are able to connect again...what I believe is happening is the modem is powering down and then restarting...shouldnít be overheating cause the house has a/c and itís not in the sun...only have internet through xfinity/Comcast...all equipment is my own, not rented...I have an arris sb6190 and a Netgear nighthawk r7000...cable wire into the modem then ethernet out of the modem into the router then Ethernet out of the router into the desktop...we also have a laptop and a chromebook

Iím looking for a way to pinpoint which device is causing the issue and then try to figure out if it can be fixed of it I have to replace...itís such a hassle trying to setup new equipment with Comcast...i believe I recently updated firmware on the router but is there firmware for a modem?...also if it is the modem and it canít be fixed which brand should I go with for a new modem?...they do t lost a full list anymore on their website so I have to look at a website that has the list and then check on their site to make sure itís approved

https://approvedmodemlist.com/comcas...proved-modems/

https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/#unauth

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 08-23-20 at 09:24 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Re: Cable Modem / WiFi Router powering off

When you have the problem, can the wired desktop still access the Internet?

Can devices internal on your LAN still communicate when you have the issue?

Which device on the network is serving IP addresses?

You can upgrade firmware on a modem.. You’d have to check your levels.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    When you have the problem, can the wired desktop still access the Internet?

Can devices internal on your LAN still communicate when you have the issue?

Which device on the network is serving IP addresses?

You can upgrade firmware on a modem.. Youíd have to check your levels.
    Thanks

The wired desktop doesnít stay on so I havenít checked that...i havenít been able to catch the issue in the act...I assume if I were to just pull the plug on the modem I would lose internet connection to the wired desktop...if I were to pull the plug on just the router Iím not sure if I would lose internet connection to the wired desktop but I would assume so...I guess I could try pulling the plug on just the modem and see if it will let me reconnect to the WiFi router after the modem reconnects to see if that reproduces the issue

All WiFi devices go down...the only thing that is wired is the desktop and the blink camera sync module...the sync module is plugged into the back of the router and when the issue happens the blink cameras canít connect...the desktop isnít on unless I need to use it

I assume the router would serve the ip addresses?...I have a 5ghz channel and a 2.4ghz channel as well...if I check into the router app it will tell me the ip address and I can restart from the app also

Doesnít look like there are updates available for the cable modem

https://arris.secure.force.com/consu...ateways#panel4

Last edited by Point37; 08-23-20 at 11:13 AM.

It looks like that Blink sync box is only connected by USB for power, it's still using WiFi for it's connection.

And weather or not your home has AC has no effect on the router overheating or not. They run hot, have no real thermal design, so it's not unusual for them to flake randomly.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    It looks like that Blink sync box is only connected by USB for power, it's still using WiFi for it's connection.

And weather or not your home has AC has no effect on the router overheating or not. They run hot, have no real thermal design, so it's not unusual for them to flake randomly.
    My fault...youíre correct about the sync box

How many ports on the back of the modem?

Next time you lose wifi, try booting up the computer that is connected via Ethernet and see if you can get to the internet.

From what you've said so far, it sounds more likely the issue is with your router.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    during this time when we try to connect to the WiFi it wonít accept the password
    Are you trying to access the web administration tool and it's denying your password? Or do you mean your wireless device (e.g. phone) won't connect to wifi? I didn't think it'd be typical to have to put a password in at that time. Is that how it always goes? Either way, password authentication is being handled by the router, not the modem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    after I unplug the router and let that restart we are able to connect again...what I believe is happening is the modem is powering down and then restarting...
    You're only restarting the router, and not the modem? If so, that seems highly likely - but not perfectly conclusive - that the router is the source of the problem. Modem should be able to restart and the router will sort itself out within a couple minutes.

nedirtriders.com

Lifer

Backside of a 6190. It's just a modem, no integrated router/switch/wifi.

nedirtriders.com

Might have missed it but did you say this equipment was powered by a UPS and that the plugs they go into are in fact battery backed? Wouldn't be the 1st time we chased our tail on equipment issues only to discover the area we were working in had a slight voltage sag.

I have an SB8200 modem that would occasionally lock up and I would have to manually power cycle it. I put a small DC fan next to it to circulate air through its perforated case and now I don't remember the last time I had an issue with it.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

the issue happened again around 12:30 today and wifi devices were disconnected while we were not home...just got home around 4:30 and all the lights are on for both devices but nothing is WiFi connected...all my WiFi thermostats weíre offline...blink camera app gave me a notification that it was offline for longer than a half hour...my phone wouldnít automatically connect (since the passwords are stored) to WiFi so I went in manually to try to connect to WiFi on my phone in settings cause both the WiFi names showed up in the list of available WiFi connections on my phone...it wouldnít let me connect to either of them cause it wasnít recognizing the passwords...so I power cycled the modem and waited till the lights all came back on correctly and then I tried to connect on my phone once again and it wouldnít...so then I power cycled the router and once the lights on that all came back on it finally let me connect on my phone...WiFi thermostats reconnected and blink cameras reconnected...I feel like the modem is power cycling itself and causing this issue...I am going to power cycle it again and leave it off for 5 minutes and the. Plug it back in and see if I can reproduce the issue

Next time you lose wifi, try booting up the computer that is connected via Ethernet and see if you can get to the internet.

From what you've said so far, it sounds more likely the issue is with your router.
    Thanks...Just one Ethernet port...I have to try the hard wired computer next time it happens...I keep forgetting...maybe I will hardwire my wifeís chromebook or the laptop to the router...those are faster to boot up

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Are you trying to access the web administration tool and it's denying your password? Or do you mean your wireless device (e.g. phone) won't connect to wifi? I didn't think it'd be typical to have to put a password in at that time. Is that how it always goes? Either way, password authentication is being handled by the router, not the modem.

You're only restarting the router, and not the modem? If so, that seems highly likely - but not perfectly conclusive - that the router is the source of the problem. Modem should be able to restart and the router will sort itself out within a couple minutes.
    Thanks...i mean trying to connect to WiFi on my phone is asking me for a password cause it says the stored password on my phone is not valid for both WiFi names

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Backside of a 6190. It's just a modem, no integrated router/switch/wifi.
    Thatís it...pretty simple

Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    Might have missed it but did you say this equipment was powered by a UPS and that the plugs they go into are in fact battery backed? Wouldn't be the 1st time we chased our tail on equipment issues only to discover the area we were working in had a slight voltage sag.
    Thanks...no...it does not have a power/battery backup

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I have an SB8200 modem that would occasionally lock up and I would have to manually power cycle it. I put a small DC fan next to it to circulate air through its perforated case and now I don't remember the last time I had an issue with it.
    I may try this...I blew both devices out with a can of air to maybe clean them a bit

Last edited by Point37; 08-30-20 at 04:09 PM.

So from the cable modem the Ethernet wire goes to my router...the out port 1 from the router goes to my desktop...I plugged in my laptop to out port 2 from the router...I disabled WiFi on the laptop and confirmed I was connected to the internet from the Ethernet on the laptop...I then shut the modem down for 5 minutes...confirmed I lost internet on the laptop...and then I plugged it back in and once it rebooted the internet came back just fine on the laptop...I also changed the temp on one of the thermostats from my phone and checked into the live feed on the blink cameras from my phone...

This leads me to believe that the router is the issue...I am going to log into it to see if I need to update something or if there are any diagnostic tests i can run

I also recently changed the power strip everything was plugged into...I wonder if that could be causing the issue...I have the modem plugged directly into the wall...the router is plugged into the power strip

What you're describing is classic overheat syndrome for those routers. I'd shop for a replacement personally.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook

What you're describing is classic overheat syndrome for those routers. I'd shop for a replacement personally.
    Thanks...Iím also getting a high pitch squeak coming from the router at certain times which I have to research a little...Iím sick of messing with the thermostats...Iím wondering if all the issues are coming from the 5ghz channel and not the 2.4ghz channel...Iím going to flip most of our devices over to the 2.4 channel...

Below is a list of what we have connected...the things that drive me nuts when they disconnect are the thermostats and the blink cameras so Iím flipping those onto the 2.4 channel...going to leave the old Firestick and the old roku on the 2.4...Iíll flip the google speaker onto the 2.4...the 4K Firestick, our cell phones, the chromebook and the laptop Iíll run off the 5...weíll see how this goes...maybe itís the channel giving me issues

WiFi
    Firestick 4K on tv #1
    Old Firestick on tv #1, never use
    Old roku on tv #2, never use
    Blink sync box for 3 cameras
    Google home mini speaker
    3 thermostats
    Laptop
    Chromebook
    Amazon fire tablet
    My cell
    Her cell

Wired
    Desktop is hard wired through router

Lifer

Interesting. I was skeptical of this being a heat issue, but you'd know better than I.

Either way, I think we're all in agreement that this is a router issue. If not heat, could be something like a firmware bug causing the authorization mechanism to fail. I'd definitely make sure the router's firmware is the latest version available. I might also do a factory reset. Maybe disable the 5Ghz completely and/or disable encryption and see if anything changes. But that's tedious/timing consuming - and still might not reveal what's going on in the end. I'd start doing the math on your time and sanity versus cost of a replacement. Especially if this unit isn't that new.

nedirtriders.com

The issue is with the Broadcom SoC itself, they run the radios hot for maximum range in a package that isn't designed to deal with that power dissipation well. They also don't spec heatsinks or other heat removal methods as required so none of the companies using them in their home products bother with any. Net result while the router may feel cool the chip itself is cooking internally, the first sign of trouble is either SSIDs being advertised but will not auth, or the SSIDs just stop showing up completely. Overtime the next failure mode will be crashing. Firmware issues are generally related to memory leaks / memory starvation (Hey, let's default to state tracking on UDP with only 32MB RAM... that'll be fun!) which results in connect but no route scenarios, but that's not what OP is seeing.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Thanks fellas...I checked for firmware updates on the Netgear app and it was all up to date...on Sunday this is how I connected everything and today it seems to be working ok but Iíll see what happens by the end of the week...my main issue was the connections for the blink cameras and the ecobee thermostats...I donít want those going down and the thermostats are a pain to constantly have to unplug and plug back into the wall...if I screw up once and bend the pins on the back it will cost me...maybe I was overloading one of the channels?...I think you guys are right though...I think there is an issue with my 5ghz channel or the router in general...Iíll see how this goes and if itís still causing me problems Iím sure Iíll be asking for advice on a new router...maybe Iíll see if I can find a cheap small AC fan to plug in to blow on them...I bought that router back in March of 2017 so itís not too old...bought the cable modem in April of 2017...once again thanks for all the help

Here is a small usb fan that I could just plug into the wall with an adapter

OPOLAR USB Desk Fan, Small but Mighty, Quiet Portable Fan for Desktop Office Table, 40į Adjustment for Better Cooling, 3 Speeds, 4.9 ft Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K2YDF34..._yXCtFbG5RN88H

Or this one

AC Infinity AXIAL 1225, Quiet Muffin Fan, 115V 120V AC 120mm x 25mm Low Speed, for DIY Cooling Ventilation Exhaust Projects https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OWVUJ0..._FZCtFbVYFR006

WiFi

2.4ghz
    Old Firestick on tv #1, never use
    Old roku on tv #2, never use
    Blink sync box for 3 cameras, always on
    Google home mini speaker, use for music once in a while
    3 thermostats, always on

5ghz
    Firestick 4K on tv #1, at night
    Laptop, a few times a week
    Chromebook, heavily when wife teaching starts
    Amazon fire tablet, rarely use
    My cell, use a lot
    Her cell, use A LOT

Last edited by Point37; 08-31-20 at 11:24 PM.

A fan won't help, to 'help' you'd need to crack the unit open and attach a proper heatsink to the SoC at a minimum.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook

A fan won't help, to 'help' you'd need to crack the unit open and attach a proper heatsink to the SoC at a minimum.
    thanks...i'll skip the fan then...maybe i will prob up the router on a couple small pieces of wood so more air can get into the vents on the bottom...but so far so good...knock on wood

Well no issues thus far...the blink cameras and the ecobee thermostats havenít disconnected since...I wonder if they just werenít stable enough on the 5ghz channel or the range wasnít enough...I have both channels set to auto connect on my phone and Iím noticing that I think when I leave the house and come back my phone picks up the 2.4ghz channel first which makes sense so I made my phone forget that channel so it only auto connects to the 5ghz channel...just did that now so weíll see how that goes