Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Any camera guys out there?

Lifer

Any camera guys out there?

I've got a Nikon D40 that I never use. It's in great shape and has a variety of lenses including a big ass zoom. Does this thing have any value or has new technology passed it by?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Any camera guys out there?

The camera body, not much. The lenses, it depends upon what generation, focal length, aperture range and condition. They often have more value than an outdated digital camera body. Higher value if they're FX rather than DX, IF rather than non-IF (internal focusing) and "S" a plus. Nikon brand gets more, some limited number of third-party makers' lenses hold good value.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2011 Triumph Tiger 800 ABS, Crystal White

Lifer

Thanks. This is what I have: D-40 body, Nikon 18-55mm lens, Nikon DX 55-200mm lens, Sigma 50-500 lens, monopod (as opposed to a tripod I suppose!), various bags and accessories. Price individually these come to about $1,500 (half of which is that big lens).

Last edited by Bonk!; 12-26-17 at 07:45 PM.

The best bet is the bundle the body with the two Nikon zooms, and sell the Sigma separately. Scour the used sections of Adorama, 47th St Photo and especially eBay for selling prices of the kit. With eBay, be sure to click "sold listings" only, because the asking price means nothing. The Sigma will probably get you more money than the other 3 items combined, especially if it's a late model with vibration reduction/image stabilization.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2011 Triumph Tiger 800 ABS, Crystal White

Lifer

Thanks!

Although eBay seems to be more “Buy It Now” than auction site, we’ve sold older film and digital camera equipment (my wife had a D50) on there and bought some as well.

We list it around 1-2pm on a Thursday for five days, often with a one cent opening bid, no reserve and flat rate shipping. Or you can puruse to see if others are available and what they are asking.

Last edited by Garandman; 12-27-17 at 07:23 PM.
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent