Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

The Camera thread (as opposed to the photograph thread)

Dic on

The Camera thread (as opposed to the photograph thread)

Camera discussion. I'm here to get schooled.

My son has just inherited a Canon DSLR from his grandmother. This camera was quite the thing about 10 years ago and is great for him to learn with until he shows real interest and I'll get him something better.

I have been interested in learning more about photography for years and never did anything about it until now. I asked a couple of camera buddies what to get to learn on and they said to get the best mirrorless I can afford. I work for Canon, but from my research the best bang for my $1000 budget was a Sony, so I grabbed a Sony Alpha 6500 and two lenses, a Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN and a Sony E18-135 F3.5-5.6 OSS. I paid $1100 for them very gently used with a bunch of filters and a couple of cases. I'll be spending the next week or so trying to learn all I can about what I have (youtube tutorials are aplenty for this camera) but any help or advice is gratefully received.

I'm sure there are plenty of camera dudes here, so let's make this a good informative topic. Please post pics in Tricky's photographs thread.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Re: The Camera thread (as opposed to the photograph thread)

What model Canon DSLR? I've been using Canon stuff since the 80's and because I've invested in their lenses, I'll probably stick with them.

I have a Sony mirrorless, but I never put the time in to really get comfortable with it.

Don't skimp on the glass. High quality lenses are worth their weight in gold. Putting crappy glass on a high end body is just a waste of money. Even with a moderate body, the high end lenses will make every picture better.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

I like my Cannon A1400, an obsolete point & shoot camera, that has an optical viewfinder,and optical zoom, rather than using a battery eating monitor, takes better pic than a phone, and batteries have lasted me thousands of pics

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

My sister, still uses her old Zeiss 35mm

RandyO
    IBA#9560

If I wasn't already invested/committed to Canon DSLR ecosystem and was shopping for something new, I'd more than likely go straight to mirror less. Heard many benefits and few downsides.

Last edited by Vovchandr; 11-09-20 at 11:25 AM.

IIRC the Cannon mirrorless units use the same lens mount as their DSLRs. You just have to adjust for crop factor when picking your lens as the mirrorless has a smaller sensor.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    If I wasn't already invested/committed to Canon DSLR ecosystem and was shopping for something new, I'd more than likely go straight to mirror less. Heard many benefits and few downsides.
    Same.

I hear there are better adapters nowadays letting you use Xyz lenses on Abc bodies and vice versa. I'd be digging into this trying to figure out how to make a non-Cannon mirrorless body work were I in the market.

I have a Canon 7D that I have had since 2012. I have probably a couple $k in lenses, including some very nice "L" kit. I love the Canon stuff. Before that I had the original digital "rebel"/300D that I bought in 2005 or something.

First thing I think you need to decide is what kind of shooting you (or your photographer) is going to focus on. Landscape. Portraits. Macros. Wildlife. Sports... It's like motorcycles; you don't buy a Gold Wing as your track-toy (unless you are jasnmar) and you don't hit the trails on a super-sport and you don't pound out slab miles on a 150cc 2-stroke MX bike. There are genres and getting the right tools for the job makes it a lot more enjoyable.

Me, I like landscape photography. As such I'm addicted to wide-angle lenses. For a while I worked at a company that built planetarium equipment. I had access to and worked on projects dealing with immersive video in a domed environment. This got me hooked on using fish-eye and stupid wide-angle lenses to build immersive, seamless panoramas. Now you can do the same thing with your phone. But at the time. Because of this I own a Canon 10-22 zoom, which is one of my favorite lenses to shoot with. The longest lens I own is a 70-200/4L which I believe is the cheapest "L" lens in the Canon line. I basically got it for "free" thanks to discounts and rebates when I bought my kit way back when. I would have never justified paying full price for it. It rarely gets used.

You may be totally different and have no use for the ultra wides but want to invest in longer glass. Or maybe macros are your thing.

I have a 24-105 f/4 with stabilization that is probably my most used, go-to lens on my crop-sensor body. It does nothing well but everything okay. Like the adventure tourer of lenses. Honestly I liked the coverage of the EF-S 17-85 I bought before it much better, but hated the inferior build quality and lack of dust seal, never mind the variable aperture. For most people the 24-105 range on a crop-sensor like my 7D is probably fine by itself, but I prefer wider. Mated to the 7D the 24-105 is a nice, solid chunk of glass and a very nice package ergonomically speaking. Minimum roll-out kit for me is now the 10-22 + the 24-105.. and a lot of lens swapping!

Every SLR owner should have a nice fast prime. I'd go with the "nifty-fifty" because it is cheap. Don't know if there is an equivalent in the sony mirrorless system. Interestingly I don't own this lens in the Canon system. Instead I have a slightly wider 35 and I also have a nearly identical 40mm "pancake". These lenses are fun but don't often get used. Still, everyone should own one.

Filters are also super fun if you are into landscapes. ND gradients and crazy dark solid NDs that let you shoot flowing water with that blur effect. My essentials would include 2 and 4-stop NDs and a nice circular polarizer. I would buy nice, large format filters from the start and fit step-down rings as needed to smaller lenses. The alternative is do what I did: buy smaller filters and upgrade the entire kit 3-4 times as you invest in bigger lenses!
    A nice alternative is 4x6 plate filters. I have a couple graduated ND plate filters that are the bomb. I don't even have a holder for them; I just hold them in front of the lens manually.

Some of that you can repro in post production. I'm also a fan of tasteful HDR photography, another post trick. Point I'm headed to here is that some of the $ you spend in software tools. Not unlike dark room tools back in the film days. IIRC Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom are still the best games in town for this. I have an old copy of Lightroom that isn't "cloud suite" and thus doesn't cost me a subscription. I don't think you can do that anymore.

If you do landscape stuff, invest in a good tripod. I have a massive aluminum one that is a pleasure to use, although not to carry. I couldn't justify a CF equivalent and was completely sick and tired of using lesser light-weight consumer junk tripods. Having a good base to drop the camera onto and some quick-release, quick-adjust mounts to do so makes shooting more enjoyable.

Regrettably a lot of my kit lives in its case more than it does not these days. Golden hour is a thing, especially for landscape stuff. And I don't have the time to get out there and shoot much anymore. I thought the camera would come out more now that I have kids and I would want to do more portraits of them and such. But it just doesn't happen. Truthfully my cell phone takes really darn nice photos. It has a "portrait" mode that fakes bokeh. The effect is not nearly as pleasing as a nice, sharp, fast lens on an SLR... but it is good enough. And the convenience factor of a pocket size, always on you cell phone is huge. Honestly kids and family seem to react negatively to having a massive SLR + lens + flash + whatever junk pointed at them anyway.

Tip: buy or fabricate a nice solid wrist strap. When I am using the camera a lot I use this strap only. It's fast and super convenient. I have a removable neck strap/sling that I pop on/off when carrying the camera (ie on a hike) but not actively using it. My wrist strap is perfect in that I can hold the camera by the barrel of the lens while the strap is around my wrist. It is tight enough that it does not easily fit over my hand. Has saved my camera from a gazillion drops.

The Camera thread (as opposed to the photograph thread)-img_20201109_123942-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    IIRC the Cannon mirrorless units use the same lens mount as their DSLRs. You just have to adjust for crop factor when picking your lens as the mirrorless has a smaller sensor.
    You can use Full frame EF lenses on an EF-S Crop sensor DSLR but generally dont want to try the other way around because you can cause mirror damage if you aren't careful. You cannot use the EF/EFS lenses on a mirrorless body without a separate lens adapter

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    What model Canon DSLR?
    It's a Canon D10

OXX

Vintage!

Do you mean 10D?

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    Do you mean 10D?
    Oops, yes. 10D

OXX

I second everything nhbubba says above.

If you plan on doing a lot of landscapes....

I want to stress the need for a GOOD tripod. I started with cheaper tripods and over the course of three years went through 3 of them ranging in price from $80 to just over $100 (they all broke). Finally I caved and dumped $300 into a Manfrotto. It's been over 10 years since I bought it and it's still going strong with no issues. If it does break, you can get parts for them so I will only need to replace what is broken. It would have been a lot cheaper in the long run if I just bought the Manfrotto in the first place. Furthermore, if you plan on doing a lot of landscapes a good tripod will give you the stability you need to take long exposures in less than ideal conditions.

Also, I may be dating myself with this advice but I suggest getting a remote. I have an old camera (Nikon D7000) so maybe the tech has improved since then but if you want tack sharp landscapes using a remote helps. To get the highest quality capture you'll want to shoot at the right F stop where the particular lens you're using is sharpest. You'll also want to be at the lowest ISO setting as this is where the sensor will perform best. With that all being the case, you'll likely find yourself using a tripod and some longer exposure times. Using a remote means you don't have to touch the camera to take the shot and this eliminates any possible shake that may result.

Overall the best advice I can give you is...Yes, there is photoshop and digital technology gives you some crazy capabilities but the better the photo is out of the gate, the better the outcome regardless of how powerful post-capture software is. With that being said do your best to get a good shot from step 1 of the process. I find this is most critical with landscapes.

Most of these cameras have a time delay / "self timer" feature. That can work in place of a remote. The remote is a nicety for landscapes. Of very limited use for portraits. Useless for sports & wildlife. But then almost essential for astro-photography.

Ah yes I forgot about the self timer. I've used that several times in the past when the battery in my remote died. Either works but I prefer the remote. For my Nikon it was less than $20 if I remember correctly.

Degsy, I would be interested to hear how you are getting on with the Sony A6500. I am considering getting a Canon EOS M6 MK ii primarily for video.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

I have my eyes set on the Sony 100-400 GM or the 70-200. At first I wanted the 70-200 and a teleconverter, but I'm shifting towards the 100-400 after watching a few reviews. The IQ seems to be a little better on the 100-400, but the fixed 2.8 on the 70-200 has my pants tight.

My friend has the 100-400 I need to play around with first.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

You won't regret the 70-200 2.8.

Degs, a great way to have fun learning is by using the camera's shutter and aperture priority modes. They let you specify either the shutter speed or aperture and the camera takes care of the rest. It's a great way to get a feel for how all of the manual settings relate (while still taking good shots).

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    Degsy, I would be interested to hear how you are getting on with the Sony A6500. I am considering getting a Canon EOS M6 MK ii primarily for video.
    I have bought a huge book on the camera and I have watched some youtube videos, so I'm pretty much an expert now lol.

I'm taking it out for the first time this weekend to see what I can get with it. Looking forward to it. It will be a lot of experimentation and a lot of note-taking.

OXX

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    You won't regret the 70-200 2.8.

Degs, a great way to have fun learning is by using the camera's shutter and aperture priority modes. They let you specify either the shutter speed or aperture and the camera takes care of the rest. It's a great way to get a feel for how all of the manual settings relate (while still taking good shots).
    Yes, that's the first thing I want to start playing with tomorrow, after learning about it in my tutorials.

OXX

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I have my eyes set on the Sony 100-400 GM or the 70-200. At first I wanted the 70-200 and a teleconverter, but I'm shifting towards the 100-400 after watching a few reviews. The IQ seems to be a little better on the 100-400, but the fixed 2.8 on the 70-200 has my pants tight.

My friend has the 100-400 I need to play around with first.
    The 100-400 will be pretty sweet, I had a 70-200, sold it. The extra reach of the 100-400 will be great for a lot of stuff out west...

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    I have bought a huge book .
    Trump influence ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I can’t wait to have some free time.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Camera thread (as opposed to the photograph thread)-58f006d6-f95d-4c1c-b44b-3175cfef6a31  

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 11-24-20 at 02:08 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.