Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Best camping destinations in NH?

Best camping destinations in NH?

Like Maine, I know there are tons of trails and amazing hiking in the White's etc. Wondering what "gems" you guys know about in NH?

Ideal camping spots are at elevation, above or near the treeline so there are some views, access to water (streams, etc.), and of course some good hiking.

Maine has a ton of great spots, but like a lot of NE camping it's easy to end up on shitty terrain in the trees, lousy views, or water is a risk or a long hike away. But then you have places like Tumbledown that are like an entirely different world. The view from my tent last week:

Just looking for some new spots to explore!

Bonus points if I can ride a dirty bike directly to the campsite... but that's another thread probably

Campsite tax:

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Re: Best camping destinations in NH?

Pretty sure you can camp anywhere in the WMNF as long as you're 200+ feet away from any trails/roads, and 1/4 mile from any designated camp sites or trail heads. I have a few secret go to spots, but they don't offer much for views. For motocamping I've had good luck with Free Camping Near You | Go Camping for Free!.

I've camped off Tripoli Rd a couple times... sites fill up fast though.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Like Maine, I know there are tons of trails and amazing hiking in the White's etc. Wondering what "gems" you guys know about in NH?

Ideal camping spots are at elevation, above or near the treeline so there are some views, access to water (streams, etc.), and of course some good hiking.

Maine has a ton of great spots, but like a lot of NE camping it's easy to end up on shitty terrain in the trees, lousy views, or water is a risk or a long hike away. But then you have places like Tumbledown that are like an entirely different world. The view from my tent last week:

Just looking for some new spots to explore!

Bonus points if I can ride a dirty bike directly to the campsite... but that's another thread probably

Campsite tax:

so how is that spot in a thunderstorm??

but as Ryan stated.. anywhere 200 feet away is good though i'v ebeen known to camp within that in a pinch

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

The challenge I've found is finding open elevation with water access. Nothing like hiking a few thousand feet to get a view of more trees, lol

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    so how is that spot in a thunderstorm??

but as Ryan stated.. anywhere 200 feet away is good though i'v ebeen known to camp within that in a pinch
    Hah. Funny I stayed in that same spot 3 days after that pic in a thunderstorm Then the fog rolled in an it was eerie as all hell. I'm mostly looking for fair weather spots (for the views) but I don't mind the elements..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350