Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Canon S500 Digital Elph vs. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T1 5.1-MegaPixel

Canon

Sony

Which would you go with? why?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Re: Canon S500 Digital Elph vs. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T1 5.1-MegaPixel

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    Canon

Sony

Which would you go with? why?
    what's the price of the sony? Both have some AWESOME features. Biggest perk on Sony's side is the Zeiss lens....Some of the best lens' in the world. I'm not into the small cameras and I would but a D70 persnally (I hate you Jim) so it's hard for me to say but with the features being soooo similar I would say the Sony if it's the same price.

Keep in mind that both appear to be the "first-run" of their model meaning htat there may be some bugs. Not something too typical with cameras, usually they work just fine no matter if it's been around a while or not and you are talking about very trusted companies but something to keep in mind none the less. With consatnly going for smaller and smaller with more and more resolution - just seems like they beggin for some trouble in there somewhere.

Bras cause cancer.

Sony. Cannon uses a proprietary file format, the software translates into a common compression like jpg. Therefore, you must have a computer running the software to convert and send your picture files.

Look at Best Buy for your Sony. Only diff between top of the line Sony and the next one down is the view finder, top dog does NOT have a view finder, only the LCD which is bigger. If you are in the sunlight, you can't see the LCD very well. Get the second best Cybershot, has a decent LCD screen plus view finder. This is the only difference.

Someone I work with just went through this.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Lifer

The Canon cause it doesn't take those awful memory sticks...

Excerpt from the first paragraph of the review on dcresource.com:

As I mentioned, the T1 uses the tiny Memory Stick Duo cards, and a 32MB card is included, which is a good starting point, but you'll definitely need a larger card right away. The camera can use three types of Duo cards: regular, MagicGate, and Pro. The Pro cards are a requirement for the MPEGMovie VX Fine mode that I'll describe later. I do consider the use of the Duo card to be a liability, as it's yet another proprietary format. Regardless of what camera you had before, you'll have to buy all new memory cards for the T1. Duo cards are pricey, too: Sony wants $300 for a 512MB card (you can buy the Sandisk version and save some money).
    A 512MB CF card for the Canon is <$100 even if you get ripped off...

The Canon also uses more common batteries, at least for Canon cameras, as they keep reusing the same battery shapes... the ones for the Sony are $60, the Canon ones are probably about the same, but you can get cheap 3rd party batteries for way less.

Finally the Canon has better optics.. the Sony has a new weirdo lens design that bends the light at a 90 degree angle as it comes into the camera, that is why the camera is so thin. Hard to say if it is as good without seeing a test... however, the Sony lens is slower than the Canon one at most focal lengths which affects your pictures no matter how good you are or how picky you are.

I have that Sony!!

I'll fill in the blanks later......but I am not impressed!!

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

Lifer

Originally posted by legalspeed
    [B]Sony. Cannon uses a proprietary file format, the software translates into a common compression like jpg. Therefore, you must have a computer running the software to convert and send your picture files.
    That is just plain wrong... I doubt either of these have a RAW mode, they are consumer cameras. No camera that has RAW anymore is missing the JPG option.

Look at Best Buy for your Sony. Only diff between top of the line Sony and the next one down is the view finder, top dog does NOT have a view finder, only the LCD which is bigger. If you are in the sunlight, you can't see the LCD very well. Get the second best Cybershot, has a decent LCD screen plus view finder. This is the only difference.
    Adorama should by all means beat Best Buy... Adorama and B&H Photo are probably the best places anywhere to buy camera gear.

The Carl Zeiss lens on the Sony is barely even worthy of having the name attached to it. It is there for marketing purposes only... Names are often not worth anything anymore anyway.

good info!
    Thanks

I found the sony for $319 delivered and the canon for $309 delivered.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Originally posted by legalspeed
    Someone I work with just went through this.
    My friend at work sucks.

Ben is a photo-guy, I'd take his advice. However, photo-guys usually are into equipment I can't figure out how to use.

Thanks Ben.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Here's another $10 for ya.....

Chief Value

I've used them a couple times without any issues.

Wisdom doesn't always come with age...sometimes age comes alone.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Lifer

Brent,

I'm not sure why they have the S70 on that page..

If you can get an S50, S60, or S70 for a similar price as the T1 or S500 go for it.

It is a slightly larger camera but it is far superior. Much better lens, larger sensor, many more features, faster, etc.. If the size doesn't bother you it is a very worthwhile step up.

I have a used S50 that I got a few months ago for not much money, it is a really nice camera. 5mp vs. 6mp vs. 7mp for these cameras doesn't really matter at all.

Ben

Lifer

Ah actually the S500 and S50/S60/S70 have the same size sensor.

The Sony has a smaller sensor, I didn't expect that. Consider that the nail in the coffin if you care at all about picture quality... the size in the Canons is not that great to begin with it must be pretty bad if the Sony is even smaller.

thanks ben and JANE and greg and Nikon and old dude and legal speed!

i made that comparo page from a neat link a friend sent me, i put the s70 in there cause my bro just bought one for his woman and was convinced i need it too, but it is a bit too pricey.

i am liking the s500. price is right and it looks like a ritard like me could figure out how to use it.

Last edited by oreo_n2; 12-14-04 at 11:26 AM.
    Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Lifer

Just don't overlook used if the option is available...

The Megapixel myth is going strong with these little cameras... anything much over $500 and you could go get a used DSLR instead.

The S500 sounds pretty good though. Sounds like it is actually very similar to the S50. The earlier Elphs were not the same electronics as the bigger cameras, it sounds like they are now.

I have the sony, I have several other digital camera's but bought this one because of the size specifically for riding. It is the perfect size to slide into my jacket without causing an unsightly bulge (girls don't like to have bulges on themselves!!). I have been less than impressed with this camera for three simple reasons....the zoom sucks, the flash never seems to work correctly and even when I think there is enough light, the pics are dark and I seem to get blurry pics if you try to take anything in haste. Therefore, action shots, are out!! So much for the comercial with Steven Tyler waltzing into a dinner and the girls all knocking down the table trying to get a quick snapshot!!

Now, I am far from a photographer, but, for the money I spent I expect to be able to point and shoot.....and get a clear pic.

Besides, check out the prices of the media sticks.....they ain't cheap and I have had bad luck with the Lexmar ones. They become unreadable after several times of filling and cleaning them off.

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

Re: Re: Canon S500 Digital Elph vs. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T1 5.1-MegaPixel

Originally posted by Nikon
    I'm not into the small cameras and I would but a D70 persnally (I hate you Jim) so it's hard for me to say

Hey Will, I was going to let you try a few with the D100 but you didn't want to. Was just going to let you see how you liked it and to help presuede you into your next camera.

Like Ben and Nef, I spend more than most on camera equip.( maybe not as much as them) But it is a hobby that I like. If I could justify it I would have higher quality lenses and probly the D2X body but what I have works very well for my needs. Bad enough people go into shock when they find out that I spent more on the flash than they did on the camera. The biggest thing is to make sure that it will suit your needs and gives you the quality that you personally will be happy with....

My ride's

95 FZR 1000
    19xx DOUBLE "D"
    (sold) 02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    06 Chevy Supercharged Cobalt SS