Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Car Breakdown...

New Car Breakdown...

I've made a handful of posts soliciting first-hand expereinces with certain automobiles. In response, I've gotten a ton of PM's. I'll try to break it down...

Scenario #1) If I 'split' the cost of the vehicle with work, I'm relagated to an SUV/wagon-type thingy. However, work pays 50% of the payments, insures it, pays for reg, etc...

Scenario #2) If I cut out the work vehicle angle I'm on my own. BUT, it changes the entire nature of what I buy. If this is the way we go, I'm leaning more WRX/Evolution/S40 T5 AWD...

Okay, so scenario #1: Volvo XC70; Dodge Magnum R/T AWD; 6 cylinder Outback wagon; Nissan Murano is what I have in mind so far...

On the list for 'on my own': (as I just said) WRX; Evolution; S40 T5 AWD...

So far, for the SUV/wagon variety I've test driven the Volvo XC70 and the 6 cyl. Outback. For the 'on my own' list, I've test driven the WRX (not the STI) and the S40 T5...

As for the company car thing, the Outback doesn't stand a chance against the Volvo. As for non-company cars, the WRX doesn't stand a chance against the Volvo. In both cases, the Soob simply can't be which either Volvo is...

The XC70 is in a class far ahead of the Outback. Not just the performance aspect of it. The Outback just can't hold a candle to the XC. The Soob is so much inferior, I can't even begin to list it's shortcomings...

And while the WRX outpowers the T5, it falls into the same hole that the Outback does. The WRX is just outclassed. The performance was actually suprisingly similar, with the T5 having a far superior feeling tranny. The Soob interior doesn't come close to the quality and feel of the T5. The WRX still feels, almost disposable in a way. Like ya just use it for a few years and toss it away. The T5 was incredibly solid and wreaks of quality...

We've dealt with service departments at both (my wife has an '03 S40 and I have an Outback wagon), and we're genuinely equally impressed with both. So it would come down to sales departments. The sales department at the Soob place we deal with has been less than accomadating to me, while the Volvo crew has treated us like kings and has met every negotiating hurtle I've tossed at 'em...

The service manager, the sales manager and the finance manager ALL came out to meet us at the Volvo dealership. All wanted to know exactly what it'd take to get us into the T5. We told 'em, they met it. All I got at the Soob joint was some two-bit college kid that preferred to deal with me via email...

It's still all VERY much in the air at this point. I've been itching to get into a new car, but really like NOT having a car payment...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

BTW-Before you ask, the STi & the Evo are a bit much. I have absolutely no need for THAT type of power on the street. That'd do nothing but get me in trouble I can ill afford...

0 Not allowed!

Just Registered

New Car Breakdown...

So by being outclassed, does that mean Nikon would be pissing on the hood of a Soob in your next avatar?

On a serious note, since it seems like your getting to the final few choices...have you taken them all out for a few hours and gotten a decent feel for the rides?

I realize your obviously familiar with both makes on a general level, but sometimes the long test drive helps solidify things.

Good luck with the decision making

0 Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

New Car Breakdown...

Why not go for the XC90 instead of the XC70? At least it's not a stationwagon.

0 Not allowed!
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

New Car Breakdown...

IMO you've eliminated the best cars on the list already, although the Volvo may be classiest for picking up customers if it's a work vehicle, it would be my last choice. However the treatment at the dealership goes a long way too.

The Buru's are incredibly reliable, great in the snow, cheap to maintain, easy to work on, easy to upgrade with toys like remote starters. The Volvo, not so much.

As for no payment, there's a celica down the street for $400, bet you could talk him down a bit too!

0 Not allowed!
    2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

New Car Breakdown...

So by being outclassed, does that mean Nikon would be pissing on the hood of a Soob in your next avatar?
    We did that during M/C Week...

On a serious note, since it seems like your getting to the final few choices...have you taken them all out for a few hours and gotten a decent feel for the rides?

I realize your obviously familiar with both makes on a general level, but sometimes the long test drive helps solidify things.
    Not a few hours. In all honesty, I hadta bring the T5 back per order of the nice Concord officer that pulled me over. I DID ring the shit outta it though on route 132 for a nice bit...

Good luck with the decision making
    It's actually harder than I thought...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

We currently have both now. An Outback wagon and an S40. In our own personal experience, the only accurate appraisals you made was that remote starters are expensive for Volvos and the Soob's good in snow...

The Soob has been far less than reliable, hasn't been remotely cheap to maintain, and it's a bitch to work on...

Our S40, on the other hand has been a beacon of reliability...

BTW-If we lean toward the company vehicle side of things, it's not to schmooze customers. I wouldn't really need an SUV/wagon for that. It's more for carrying loads in the 500 lb. range...

Oh, and if I stick with the no payment route, I'll just stick to the Soob I have...

Originally posted by bbhzx10
    IMO you've eliminated the best cars on the list already, although the Volvo may be classiest for picking up customers if it's a work vehicle, it would be my last choice. However the treatment at the dealership goes a long way too.

The Buru's are incredibly reliable, great in the snow, cheap to maintain, easy to work on, easy to upgrade with toys like remote starters. The Volvo, not so much.

As for no payment, there's a celica down the street for $400, bet you could talk him down a bit too!

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

Originally posted by 97BladeRider
    Why not go for the XC90 instead of the XC70? At least it's not a stationwagon.
    We tried two engines in the XC90. The twin turbo 6 and their small V8. Neither really did anything for me. They also seem WAY overpriced for what they have to offer. Utterly unimpressed in every way. It WAS on the list, but quickly got taken off after the test drives...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

Originally posted by bbhzx10
    wheres it at... im lookin for a proj car

0 Not allowed!
    02 R1
    06 WRX STi Sold
    01 RC51-STOLEN
    03 XR400 R(TARD) - Sold

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

New Car Breakdown...

what about the new dodge calibur? that car seems pretty cool

0 Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 KTM 690SM /03 KTM 300EXC
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

New Car Breakdown...

Originally posted by SVRACER01
    what about the new dodge calibur? that car seems pretty cool
    I looked into those too. It's basically a Neon truck. It's still kinda in the back of my mind, but no where near the top of the list...

The thing I don't like about the Magnum & Calibur are they're too new. I've been hard pressed to find reviews of either that'd have 60,000+ miles. I NEED a vehicle that can withstand 100,000+ miles in about 4 years time...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

what about the new infiniti 2007 g35x due out in november. AWD, was handed down an interior similar to that of the 2006 m35 and got a new engine this year

http://nissannews.com/multimedia/inf...g35sedan.shtml

0 Not allowed!
    Adobe Certified Expert, Photoshop CS4
    Adobe Certified Professional, Flash CS4

Just Registered

New Car Breakdown...

Originally posted by nefarious
    what about the new infiniti 2007 g35x due out in november. AWD, was handed down an interior similar to that of the 2006 m35 and got a new engine this year

http://nissannews.com/multimedia/inf...g35sedan.shtml
    Yeah, if we're talkin good on gas, lots of class, and hauling ass...look no further

..but I think it's a wagonal debate at this time?

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

Originally posted by somestrangeguy
    Yeah, if we're talkin good on gas, lots of class, and hauling ass...look no further

..but I think it's a wagonal debate at this time?

shrug i thought he was just looking for a good awd with the mention of the EVO and the S40, which imo are both lesser cars compared to even the old g35 nm the 2007

0 Not allowed!

Just Registered

New Car Breakdown...

shrug i thought he was just looking for a good awd with the mention of the EVO and the S40, which imo are both lesser cars compared to even the old g35 nm the 2007
    No argument here mang, just sayin.

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

No argument here mang, just sayin.

i hear ya not arguing, for all i know i missed something in this or the other 5 threads about it having to be a wagon

anyway cant wait for the new g35

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

Looking for '06 models. Everyone's trying to get 'em off their lots. Can't find pricing on the Infiniti, but I'm guessing it'll be more than I wanna spend...

And no. It's not JUST a wagon/SUV issue at this point. I'm still very undecided...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

We have a Murano for the night, and I'm really digging it. That whackey CV tranny is a bit to get used to, but at least it has a 'passing' mode that you can slap it into...

The crew at Nissan thus far has been awesome to deal with. Very eager to work with us on the numbers I wanna see...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

I bet you can get an 06 left over for short money because the new g35 is going to blow the old one out of the water... but the 2006 is still a real nice car. i got quoted 45k for a 2006 left over m35x with a msrp of 54k

0 Not allowed!

Just Registered

New Car Breakdown...

Dude at work has put about 20k on his Murano and raves about it FWIW.

0 Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

New Car Breakdown...

my moms hyundai has almost 200000 miles on it and its a 03

0 Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 KTM 690SM /03 KTM 300EXC
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

New Car Breakdown...

I bet you can get an 06 left over for short money because the new g35 is going to blow the old one out of the water... but the 2006 is still a real nice car. i got quoted 45k for a 2006 left over m35x with a msrp of 54k
    Far more than I'd pay for ANY vehicle. I can't see myself going much over $30K for a new vehicle, and used are outta the question. A new vehicle just isn't worth more than that to me. I consider even THAT excessive...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

I say Subaru WRX Wagon... or the Forester XT. But I drive a Subaru, so I'm biased.

I don't know if there's really a comparison between Volvo and Subaru -- Don't think they're quite in the same league. I think of Volvo being in a higher class than Subaru, although Subaru does roll out a few Limited and Special Editions that feature creature comforts, i.e. Leather interior, Sunroof, etc.

As far as the Service Dept vs. Sales Dept at the stealerships, I mean dealerships, are concerned, they're seperate entities. So if you're happy with the service departments, then just go with the best deal you can get.

It all comes down to what you want out of your car. From the sounds of your first post, it sounds like you're leaning towards the Volvo anyway.

I'd say both makes are pretty reliable. Both makes offer turbo cars (but if you don't need the extra 'oomph' stick with N/A engines: You can use 87 octane and save yourself some $$ that way). But if you're about the luxury, get the Volvo, if you want performance get the Subaru.

Or, just stick with your current car.

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

Originally posted by SVRACER01
    my moms hyundai has almost 200000 miles on it and its a 03
    I need something that'll be worth something in a few years. There's no chance in hell I'd get a Hyundai. Been down that road not so long ago. Hyundai dealerships didn't even want to take our Sonata in trade. We ended up getting more for it at the Volvo dealership to the tune of almost $2K MORE. And even got a better deal sticker-wise on the Volvo...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

Dude at work has put about 20k on his Murano and raves about it FWIW.
    I'm really diggin' this thing. Like I said though, that CV transmission is odd. Not sure how much I like THAT yet. But I'm lovin' everything else about it so far...

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast